May 17, 2024, 04:10:43 AM

Author Topic: FD Hood Damper Group Buy  (Read 33795 times)

Offline Mik3ymomo

FD Hood Damper Group Buy
« on: August 07, 2013, 09:33:06 AM »
Group Buy Closed
So I have been working on some various fabrication projects and like most of you I needed a solution for my missing hood rod. After looking around and seeing what was already available I found the best hood damper kit was about twice the price of the others.
But not wanting an issue with hood fitment or inferior hood struts I was looking at spending the big money.

The kit I make is all the top notch parts, fitment and at a price considerably lower then what the best kit sells for (but basically identical to)

My price point for this kit will be $105 shipped in the lower 48 states.
 I think with at least a dozen people I will go forward with the kit.

I already have mine and it works great. Not really making money on this so its more of just a way of giving back to the cause and folks helping me along the way. I have a couple more projects I am working on which should really get folks excited but going to start small first and will talk about those once this closes.

I will update this thread with paypal payment information if we get enough interest. Here is video of kit in Action.
http://youtu.be/8d0YGkfKAjk

We are off and running. GROUP BUY TO END FRIDAY AUG 16th

Just add your name. I will start taking payment once we have at least 12.

« Last Edit: August 23, 2013, 07:53:56 AM by Mik3ymomo »
93 CYM Base Single Turbo
94 Chaste White Base 22k Original miles Stock
94 Chaste White PEP 29k Miles (sold)
94 Chaste White PEP LS3 T56 Swap (Sold)
93 BB Touring 20B Swap (Sold)
http://www.flickr.com/photos/mik3ymomo/

Offline Tictakman

Re: FD Hood Damper Group Buy
« Reply #1 on: August 07, 2013, 10:00:19 AM »
Will this work on an aftermarket siebon hood and shineauto fenders?  if so, put me on the list.

Zak

Offline halfspec

« Reply #2 on: August 07, 2013, 10:08:47 AM »
Oh yeah! 2 bolt bracket design FTW! For anyone who has tried those craptastic NRG/Tein 1 bolt brackets that spin around when you try and shut your hood, you know what I'm talking about. This is Grade A stuff! Whooo!  :cheers:

1. halfspec

Offline willcoop

« Reply #3 on: August 07, 2013, 10:13:02 AM »
Would this also work on an FC?

Offline Mik3ymomo

« Reply #4 on: August 07, 2013, 10:18:59 AM »
Will this work on an aftermarket siebon hood and shineauto fenders?  if so, put me on the list.

Zak

This is a good question. If your hood has the skeleton reinforcements it should work fine. I have not tested it on a carbon hood but the other hood damper kits make the same distinction about using them with Carbon fiber hoods.

I can make a kit with less lifting force as well as I can choose from several different lbs of lift on the dampers I am using.

So guys with Carbon fiber hoods. Please PM me details (weight) and if possible pictures of the underside of your hood. Particularly the hinge points where it bolts up and the underside frame or skeleton that it uses for reinforcements.

If you don't have the skeleton reinforcements on your carbon fiber hood I suggest you do not use my kit. If you do have it add your name to the list and PM me details and add APPROVED CARBON FIBER HOOD next to your name. That way I build your kit with lower lift rate dampers depending on the details I get from you.

Mike

93 CYM Base Single Turbo

Offline Mik3ymomo

« Reply #5 on: August 07, 2013, 10:21:35 AM »
Would this also work on an FC?

Sorry I do not have a kit available for the FC at this time.
You FC guys PM me and I will see
If there is enough interest. For now it is just for the FD.

-Mike
93 CYM Base Single Turbo

Offline hayabusa

« Reply #6 on: August 07, 2013, 10:32:50 AM »
pictures?

Offline armt350

« Reply #7 on: August 07, 2013, 10:35:21 AM »
sign me up

1. halfspec
2. Armt350

Offline hayabusa

« Reply #8 on: August 07, 2013, 10:36:12 AM »
sign me up

1. halfspec
2. Armt350
3.hayabusa

Offline RX7what

« Reply #9 on: August 07, 2013, 12:12:12 PM »
You should use the same struts for stock and carbon hoods. The stock hood is aluminum and most carbon hoods actually weight slightly more than the stock hood.
PER AUDACIA AD ASTRA
95 FD #496/499 LS2   http://www.norotors.com/index.php?topic=4789.0

Norotors is far and away the best car forum on the Internet, bar none.

Offline Mik3ymomo

« Reply #10 on: August 07, 2013, 12:51:23 PM »
You should use the same struts for stock and carbon hoods. The stock hood is aluminum and most carbon hoods actually weight slightly more than the stock hood.

Yes weight is the determination on strut choice. As stated anyone with carbon hood needs to PM me details of their hood. See my above post about what to do.

Any hand laid carbon hood isn't going to be much of a weight savings or as strong as a vacuum bagged injection molded hood. But the frame is going to be the biggest factor as far as using hood struts. Otherwise it will flex at lift points.

I am going to be cautiously evaluating each individual's hood for my recommendations.
 If in doubt, don't unless you are willing to unload your kit if it doesn't work.
If I could test it myself I would.

It takes about 5-10 mins to install.
You can likely unload your kit without a taking a huge loss later if it doesn't work.

-Mike

93 CYM Base Single Turbo

Offline Donthitme

« Reply #11 on: August 07, 2013, 01:05:42 PM »
Hi Mike

Can you take some pictures of the hood gap from the left and right side, where the hood meet the fenders?  I have some stokie tech dampners and it caused a hood gap on the driver side, because the ball nut that was screwed in on the fender side was too high. thank you

Offline priceless

« Reply #12 on: August 07, 2013, 01:07:07 PM »
sign me up

1. halfspec
2. Armt350
3.hayabusa
4.Priceless

2005 Mercedes E320 CDI
2005 Subaru Baja
1993 Mazda RX7 (sold) :(

Offline Tictakman

« Reply #13 on: August 07, 2013, 02:06:37 PM »
Guess we will try it...add me to the list please!

Zak

Offline Mik3ymomo

« Reply #14 on: August 07, 2013, 02:17:28 PM »
Hi Mike

Can you take some pictures of the hood gap from the left and right side, where the hood meet the fenders?  I have some stokie tech dampners and it caused a hood gap on the driver side, because the ball nut that was screwed in on the fender side was too high. thank you

My car arrived with panel fitment like a child had been working on the car. Its one of my peeves with it. My hood and panel fitment did not change from adding these dampers.
That is actually part of what makes this kit so good. The other cheaper kits tend to have that gripe about the ball head being of the wrong design/size.

I can tell you without reservation that this is the best kit on the market.
 It is why it is being offered. I wouldn't waste my time offering you guys some half baked junk.
It is based entirely off the best kit on the market today. Hands down.

93 CYM Base Single Turbo