March 28, 2024, 06:49:06 PM

Author Topic: Drop in molded heater hoses for FD - Part Numbers Included  (Read 27339 times)

Offline halfspec

Drop in molded heater hoses for FD - Part Numbers Included
« on: June 07, 2012, 01:49:02 PM »
Posed the question a couple of weeks back and it didn't seem like anyone has gone through the trouble to find molded heater hoses that fit the LS1 in a FD chassis better than a straight hose that bends way up on the fender liner. Well, after several trips to my local auto stores I have the solution.

Gates 18078
Gates 28471

and for our Canadian brothers here is a set of alternative part numbers found by quinns in reply #47:

Dayco 87611
Dayco 80405

I haven't verified the above part numbers, but I expect quinns has tried them.

The picture above doesn't actually show both of the correct hoses. I later found that 18078 was a better fit since it is a 5/8" hose that scales up to 3/4" right at the water pump nozzle. Gates 28471 is 5/8" all the way though. I've found that 5/8" is a good tight fit on the heater core barbs (may require boiling the hoses + windex) and my LS1 water pump uses a 3/4" and a 5/8" barb, thus the need for one hose to transition to 3/4"

They aren't truly "drop in" like my title says as they will require a little shortening, but it's pretty dang close and when you're finished, the routing will look factory.

Lane

Offline mefarri

Re: Drop in molded heater hoses for FD - Part Numbers Included
« Reply #1 on: June 07, 2012, 02:05:05 PM »
you = beast.  Too bad I'll be using AN fittings.   :'(
"I'm not sure what your intent was because I don't speak "dumbshit", but next time, start your own thread. "

-Jimlab

"Otherwise it looks like something I can build over a weekend, if I spent the first day watching TV."

-Blake motherfucking McBride

Offline MPbdy

« Reply #2 on: June 07, 2012, 02:24:30 PM »
Good to know :D

Offline digitalsolo

« Reply #3 on: June 07, 2012, 02:34:04 PM »
I used those on Azar's car.   :)
Blake MF'ing McBride
1988 Mazda RX7 - Turbo LS1/T56/ProEFI/8.8/Not Slow...   sold.
1965 Mustang Coupe - TT Coyote, TR6060, modern brakes/suspension...
2007 Aston Martin V8 Vantage - Gen V LT4/TR6060, upper/lower pullies, headers, tune.
2021 Tesla Model 3 Performance - Stock...ish.

Offline spacevomit

« Reply #4 on: June 07, 2012, 02:37:07 PM »
Thanks Lane! Good stuff.

Did you guys have to look through a lot of hoses to find these?

Offline halfspec

« Reply #5 on: June 07, 2012, 03:17:45 PM »
Thanks guys

I used those on Azar's car.   :)

Yes, I remember you saying you'd used molded hoses but you were being a little butthole two weeks ago when you posted in my original thread and wouldn't give out the PNs ;)

Thanks Lane! Good stuff.

Did you guys have to look through a lot of hoses to find these?

It wasn't too bad. The 5/8" hose that flaired to 3/4" was the worst since none of the stores local to me had exactly what I was looking for, but they had hoses that put me in the ballpark PN wise and I honed my search in using google.

I wasn't going to post pictures before I was completely done installing them, but someone asked so here's an intermediate shot.

When I took this picture I was using a full 3/4" hose for the bigger barb on the waterpump and then manually steped down the 5/8" further down the line. The part number I posted in the 1st post lists the hose that does the flair on its own.

Also. I was asked about heat concerns since the hoses pass close to the headers. My pic shows fiberglass sleaving I bought at mcmaster carr, but I've since decided against it since I think it's going to be a dirt magnet. I'm in the process of replacing the braided sleeving in my engine bay with DEI Fire Sleeving that has a iron oxide silicone rubber shell and should 'clean up' a little easier. If you want to do something similar, you'll need ~ 6ft of 1" ID fire sleeve:

http://www.amazon.com/010474-I-D-Fire-Sleeve-Tape/dp/B001HYRPC4

Lane

Offline digitalsolo

« Reply #6 on: June 07, 2012, 03:27:53 PM »
Haha, I never pay attention to part numbers.   I just grab and go.  :D
Blake MF'ing McBride
2007 Aston Martin V8 Vantage - Gen V LT4/TR6060, upper/lower pullies, headers, tune.

Offline Sabre002

« Reply #7 on: June 07, 2012, 04:44:18 PM »
damn man you think you got them clamps tight enough?  I would just use the factory spring clamps they dont cut into the nice hoses you just bought.
Josh
Manager Business Development, Mazda Motorsports
For info on how to join the Mazda Motorsports Team Support Program Email me.
Jsmit295@mazdausa.com

Offline halfspec

« Reply #8 on: June 07, 2012, 04:47:38 PM »
Haha! That picture makes it look worse than it is. I'm kind of gun shy when it comes to coolant leaks. I had a leak at the heater core connection that I misdiagnosed as a leaky core. One dash removal and installation later I'm warry of leaky coolant connections :D

Lane

Offline Sabre002

« Reply #9 on: June 07, 2012, 06:34:43 PM »
ya well worm clamps suck balls they cut hoses
Josh
Manager Business Development, Mazda Motorsports
For info on how to join the Mazda Motorsports Team Support Program Email me.
Jsmit295@mazdausa.com

Offline Shavel

« Reply #11 on: June 07, 2012, 08:10:48 PM »
Thanks Lane!
Ant

Offline wompa164

« Reply #12 on: June 08, 2012, 12:52:25 PM »
I've always heard not to use them on fuel lines, but I never really dug to found out why. Good to know.
I didn't get any OEM clamps with the engine, but I'm pretty sure I can find some constant-tension clamps from mcmaster.

Thanks for the tip

Lane

Here are the parts I ordered from McMaster, full constant tension Breeze clamps for my Samberg V2 setup + heater hoses:

2   54205K13   5 Each   Type 301 Ss Constant-tension Worm-drive Clamp, 11/16" To 1-1/4" Clamp Dia Range, 9/16" Band Wid
3   5325K28   5 Each   304 Ss Constant-tension Clamp W/410 Ss Screw, 1-1/4" To 2-1/8" Clamp Dia Range, 5/8" Band Width

Offline digitalsolo

« Reply #14 on: June 08, 2012, 08:43:52 PM »
Yes, yes they are.
Blake MF'ing McBride