March 18, 2024, 10:05:30 PM

Author Topic: Building Cobra Axles - How to install your tripod end correctly *With Pics*  (Read 21897 times)

Offline halfspec

I've always heard of people installing parts backwards on the Cobra / RX7 hybrid axle kit from http://www.driveshaftshop.com/, but until I built a set myself I couldn't really identify. I'm pretty sure I know what the trouble was so I've made a mini tutorial for installing the inner CV on the tripod end of the axle correctly. The Rzeppa joint end of the axle is very straight forward. All you have to do is pop out all the ball bearings, pull out the race and cage, replace the RX7 race with the driveshaftshop race, and reassemble. There is a right and wrong end of the race to install the axle, but it's pretty apparent which is which if you pay attention to the Rzeppa joint when you initially disassemble it.

Like I said, I believe the tripod joint is what mixes people up. The inner CV and the axle splines have a very low tolerance so it's very tempting to install them backwards to get the clearance you need to install the c-clip. Here's what I'm talking about.

The Cobra inner CV has two sides:

The first picture shows the end that should be installed on the axle. The second picture shows the end that should be facing up and will be flush with the c-clip.
I think people are tempted to install the inner CV with the beveled side facing up because it appears as if they will have a little extra clearance to get the c-clip on. Don't do that... :)

When you put the inner CV on the axle it will look like this.

It's depressing because there's no way you can install the c-clip even if you push down hard on the inner CV.

Here's the secret. Grab yourself a large socket that will clear the axle but is still small enough to push the inner CV and wack it with a 5lb hammer :D

Like magic you'll have the clearance you need:

Now enjoy your axles and sell off the rest of the axles you cannibalized to make your set :D

Hope that helps some people :)

Offline digitalsolo

Excellent tip.   We had the same issue installing Beast's setup.   You gotta give those tripods a good WHACK to get them seated completely.  :)
Blake MF'ing McBride
1988 Mazda RX7 - Turbo LS1/T56/ProEFI/8.8/Not Slow...   sold.
1965 Mustang Coupe - TT Coyote, TR6060, modern brakes/suspension...
2007 Aston Martin V8 Vantage - Gen V LT4/TR6060, upper/lower pullies, headers, tune.
2021 Tesla Model 3 Performance - Stock...ish.

3 fingered willy

Excellent tip.   We had the same issue installing Beast's setup.   You gotta give those tripods a good WHACK to get them seated completely.  :)

I always luv it when The hammer is the correct tool for the job! Its so straight forward, no real thought involved.

JUST HIT IT HARD! :D

Offline bikedad

Bang it like a babe and enjoy the fruits of your labor.  LOL
Don Teifke  :drive:
[smg id=8489]
"Life is tough.,, Life is even tougher if you're stupid."
-----John Wayne-----

Offline babillaracing

nice tutorial ,now where in the world you get the axle from without costing an arm and a leg?

Offline largeorangefont

FYI to all the FC guys using the Ronin 8.8 kit - 

This process is exactly the same for the Explorer axles, but you may need to knock the dust sheilds off of the inner drive cups. Cobras don't have these dust sheilds because they are not meant to go offroad.

The dust sheild is shown here, in the center of the picture.

Quote from: cool
Sell it to spacevomit.  He'll finish it.

Offline babillaracing

nice tutorial ,now where in the world you get the axle from without costing an arm and a leg?

I have no idea. Sometimes you just gotta pay to play I guess :)

Lane
I don't mind paying for them but $800 for a set from ford only to use the inners is too much

Offline largeorangefont

If you go 28 spline they are $85 each remaned.
$159 each for 31 spline remans.

I've bought sets of used OEM 03/04 Cobra inners for $100-200.
« Last Edit: October 12, 2012, 02:07:37 PM by largeorangefont »

Offline halfspec

I have no idea. Sometimes you just gotta pay to play I guess :)

Lane
I don't mind paying for them but $800 for a set from ford only to use the inners is too much

Oops. I thought you were talking about the price of the DSS axles. For the mustang CVs I shopped around on eBay and mustang forums. I think I got a set of full 03-04 cobra (31 spline) axles for $200 two years ago. The deals are out there but you have to look.

It looks like remans are also a very good option according to largeorangefont  :cheers:

Lane

Offline babillaracing

Lane , believe me i been looking for 3 months straight, i try auto zone, napa,oreilly ,world pac,advance auto etc....

Offline largeorangefont

Rockauto.com

Offline babillaracing

Rockauto.com

i check them they just rebuild your old ones ,i guess i got to keep my eyes open lol.Thanks for the help guys