March 29, 2024, 11:00:44 AM

Author Topic: New FD Annotated Harnesses (Front, Instrument, Dash, Rear, & Floor) + *Index*  (Read 36776 times)

Offline halfspec

Due to everybody's appreciation for the work I did on the front harness I decided to expand my collection to include the Instrument harness, the Dash harness, the Rear harness, and the Floor harness. Instead of listing out the purpose of each connector in this thread I have created an index which is attached to the bottom of this post. Each connector is tagged with it's corresponding FSM ID. These pictures merely serve as a spacial aid to help physically locate connectors on the corresponding harness. The FSM should still be referenced for circuit information.

FRONT:

DASH:

INSTRUMENT:

REAR:

FLOOR:

INDEX:
I am particularly proud of this mainly due to the simplification of the X connectors it provides. For those that don't know the X connectors are the interconnections between the various harnesses in the RX7. The FSM as written does not address the X connectors on one page or per circuit/application like every other connector in the manual, but rather scatters references across the entire manual. Because of this, you basically have to thumb through the whole manual and looking for references to the X connector of interest. For example, parts of X-01 (the Main Fuse Block) are referenced on pages 24, 28, 42, 44, 50, 52, 56, 60, 62, 66, 68, 78, 82,
86, 88, 90, 94, 96, 98, 100, 102, 104, 110, and 115. My index gives these references and more. Attached to the bottom of this post

*Update 4-19-12*
I see this question asked a lot on these forums and also get quite a few PMs about it. "What can I remove from harness X?"
Its a complicated question with no real answer. It all depends on you. What can you live without? What are the necessary systems you want to retain? Do you want to relocate or redesign anything?  Are aftermarket accessories being installed that need wiring run through harness X?

When I say systems, here are some examples:

Engine Management. I.E., connectors and wiring that interfaces with the ECU, fuel pump, EGI and Circuit opening relays, EL unit, ignitor, alternator, air pump emissions harness, engine harness, etc, etc
Fan Control System. I.E., keep, delete (for aftermarket solution), or redesign
Instrument feedback / sensor. I.E., Oil Level
Windshield Washers
Headlights / Retraction System
Foglights
Air Conditioning
Automatic Transmission Control
Audio System (Front relay)
Theft Deterrent Control System (Hood sensor, immobilizer, etc)
ABS
Cruise control
Air Bag System
Diagnostic Connector

1. Decide what systems you can live without. Reading the electrical manual will really help you here.

2 Decide if there's anything you want to move around. I.E., moving everything from X-01 and the TNS and Horn relays to X-02 then plan what changes / extensions you will need to make to accomplish it.

3 Decide if you need to add wiring. Adding an alarm or extra gauges? Now's the time to integrate the wiring.

4  Start by identifying the connectors to the systems you want to delete then trace where every one of its wires go using the FSM. Once you know a wire goes to 12v, gnd, or to another system you're removing you're safe to remove it.

Hope that helps

Lane

Offline 93silverbullet

• Supporting Member
  • Launching!
  • Faster than a speeding ticket...
  • View Gallery
    • View Profile
Wow... great job on this!
Richard.

Offline AHarada

That is awesome, you are the man!  Thanks for doing this.
[smg id=6954]

Offline digitalsolo

Yeah, thanks for all the hard work Lane, this is a heck of a thing you made.
Blake MF'ing McBride
1988 Mazda RX7 - Turbo LS1/T56/ProEFI/8.8/Not Slow...   sold.
1965 Mustang Coupe - TT Coyote, TR6060, modern brakes/suspension...
2007 Aston Martin V8 Vantage - Gen V LT4/TR6060, upper/lower pullies, headers, tune.
2021 Tesla Model 3 Performance - Stock...ish.

Offline nofxrxmxpx

wow.... my build just shortened by a few hours/days... thanks a million!
the candy is dandy

Offline efiniste

Great work, Lane. Thanks very much!

Offline nadeem

Two Questions:

(1).  Will this wiring harness work on any engine other than a V8? 

(2).  Is there a Plug and Play wiring Harness for a 1993 RX-7 that will work for any engine that you may want to put in a 1993 RX-7?

Offline halfspec

(1).  Will this wiring harness work on any engine other than a V8? 
These are annotated photos of stock FD3 RX7 wiring harnesses. In their stock form, they are made to connect and communicate with the stock RX7 engine harness which controls the rotary engine's functions. The stock RX7's engine harness is not covered here, so yes, these harnesses will work with any engine you want them to as long as they are modified to work with your engine harness of choice.

(2).  Is there a Plug and Play wiring Harness for a 1993 RX-7 that will work for any engine that you may want to put in a 1993 RX-7?
No. While there are certainly people that can build harnesses that will work for any engine you want to put in a 93 RX7 (assuming it will physically fit), there is no such thing as a harness that will plug-and-play with any engine you choose.

Lane

Offline halfspec

*Update 4-19-12* - Added this to the main post above:

I see this question asked a lot on these forums and also get quite a few PMs about it. "What can I remove from harness X?"
Its a complicated question with no real answer. It all depends on you. What can you live without? What are the necessary systems you want to retain? Do you want to relocate or redesign anything?  Are aftermarket accessories being installed that need wiring run through harness X?

When I say systems, here are some examples:

Engine Management. I.E., connectors and wiring that interfaces with the ECU, fuel pump, EGI and Circuit opening relays, EL unit, ignitor, alternator, air pump emissions harness, engine harness, etc, etc
Fan Control System. I.E., keep, delete (for aftermarket solution), or redesign
Instrument feedback / sensor. I.E., Oil Level
Windshield Washers
Headlights / Retraction System
Foglights
Air Conditioning
Automatic Transmission Control
Audio System (Front relay)
Theft Deterrent Control System (Hood sensor, immobilizer, etc)
ABS
Cruise control
Air Bag System
Diagnostic Connector

1. Decide what systems you can live without. Reading the electrical manual will really help you here.

2 Decide if there's anything you want to move around. I.E., moving everything from X-01 and the TNS and Horn relays to X-02 then plan what changes / extensions you will need to make to accomplish it.

3 Decide if you need to add wiring. Adding an alarm or extra gauges? Now's the time to integrate the wiring.

4  Start by identifying the connectors to the systems you want to delete then trace where every one of its wires go using the FSM. Once you know a wire goes to 12v, gnd, or to another system you're removing you're safe to remove it.

Hope that helps

Lane

Offline ImprovedRacing

Wow, this is amazing. Wish I saw this before I trimmed my wiring harness. I don't even know how many hours I spent reading the FSM and tracing/identifying wires and connectors.
Michael

Improved Racing Products
Tel (407) 705-3054

automationLED

i noticed in the FRONT harness of the FD, both side's enter the firewall

is there an easier side to disconnect the harness from? do i have to remove the dash to unplug the harness?

i want to basically unplug one side, pull it through completely, and re-loom and re-attach it to the outside of the radiator support so it'll be covered up by the bumper

Offline digitalsolo

Passenger side is MUCH easier to disconnect.
Blake MF'ing McBride
1988 Mazda RX7 - Turbo LS1/T56/ProEFI/8.8/Not Slow...   sold.
1965 Mustang Coupe - TT Coyote, TR6060, modern brakes/suspension...
2007 Aston Martin V8 Vantage - Gen V LT4/TR6060, upper/lower pullies, headers, tune.
2021 Tesla Model 3 Performance - Stock...ish.

Offline Daveb

Re: New FD Annotated Harnesses (Front, Instrument, Dash, Rear, & Floor) + *Index*
« Reply #14 on: September 12, 2012, 02:52:42 AM »
This might help a bit and make things easier than going through the FSM

Block (1)

A1-03 – Starter Cut Relay
F1-01 – Hazard / Flasher Unit
X-09 – Connector Between Front & Air Bag
X-03 – Ignition Switch
X-04 – Combination Switch
J4-04 – Theft-Deterrent Control System - Option Switch
X-08 – Connector Between Front & Dash
X-10 – Connector Between Front & Rear
J4-01 - CPU #2