May 05, 2024, 02:06:33 PM

Author Topic: Mississippi FD - 383CI Forged LS1 Stroker Build  (Read 346186 times)

Offline halfspec

Re: Mississippi FD - 383CI Forged LS1 Stroker Build
« Reply #885 on: May 06, 2015, 02:55:56 PM »
Are you willing to give a ball park on how much all this paint work cost?  I'm thinking it may be a little more than the $3,500 job I got on my old Yellow car  ;)

Well you're right. I didnt scrape by under 3.5k ;)
The best I can do is tell you that the price I paid was less than half of what I would have expected to pay knowing what the outcome would be. For more specific pricing info I'll have to point you to the man himself.

Lane

Offline largeorangefont

« Reply #886 on: May 06, 2015, 10:09:38 PM »
I'm guessing that is code for $10-$12k

This is some great work.
Quote from: cool
Sell it to spacevomit.  He'll finish it.

Offline Skeltic

« Reply #887 on: May 06, 2015, 10:37:43 PM »
just waiting for this car to go on sale again....... :poke:
"You can sleep in your car, but you can't race your house."

Offline Mik3ymomo

« Reply #888 on: May 07, 2015, 08:07:55 AM »

If it's ever "For sale" I doubt it will be "On Sale" if you know what I mean....
93 CYM Base Single Turbo
94 Chaste White Base 22k Original miles Stock
94 Chaste White PEP 29k Miles (sold)
94 Chaste White PEP LS3 T56 Swap (Sold)
93 BB Touring 20B Swap (Sold)
http://www.flickr.com/photos/mik3ymomo/

Offline Jordan Innovations

• Supporting Member
  • Top Fuel
  • Competition Mil-spec wiring/electronics since 2005
  • View Gallery
    • View Profile
    • Jordan Innovations
« Reply #889 on: May 07, 2015, 01:12:34 PM »

If it's ever "For sale" I doubt it will be "On Sale" if you know what I mean....

Lol'd.  Clever wordplay that's incredibly accurate right here.

Offline wickedrx7

« Reply #890 on: May 11, 2015, 05:30:06 PM »
4 days without an update. I'm a little worried.

1993 Touring, 2012 L99, T-56, Ronnin 8.8, Ohlins, Speedhut, Samberg and lots of custom parts
Build Thread - http://www.norotors.com/index.php?topic=19354.0
Pictures - www.flikr.com/wickedrx7

Offline halfspec

« Reply #891 on: May 11, 2015, 03:13:23 PM »
4 days without an update. I'm a little worried.

Sorry

Mother's day and wife's birthday were back-to-back this weekend = no free weekend time
I'm also busting my ass finalizing my first pcb designed in over 5 years (last one was sr. design in college) that's related to my list of upcoming offerings. Having to relearn a lot from scratch. Hoping to get it done before I leave the country in the near future which would cut down on the time I spend actively waiting for it to get back from the board house.

I am about to finish up another interior panel though so that'll make a pretty picture :)

Lane

Offline iHopeItWorks

« Reply #892 on: May 12, 2015, 10:27:28 PM »
Read in one sitting, disappointed in myself for not knowing it existed sooner.

So much respect.

Offline halfspec

« Reply #893 on: May 26, 2015, 05:39:35 PM »

Read in one sitting, disappointed in myself for not knowing it existed sooner.

So much respect.

Thank ya brother  :cheers:

Here's the latest with the car. More interior panels.... haha. It seems like such small steps, but these things take time to get back together in perfect shape. I found some time to wrap up my HVAC panel this morning. I just recently came back from the Dominican Republic and everyone I traveled with got sick with various local illnesses. My mother and daughter are the last recipients and I stayed home with my daughter who's fighting a 102 degree fever this morning. However, she was asleep a lot so I filled my time with this.

I picked up a very good condition HVAC panel from Fritz over at the club a while back. Lucked out too because his panel was already stripped and only had one broken tab.

This piece of work starts with these:

The are HVAC dial indicator replacements by Black Cat Customs and can be purchased off their website. It's something I don't think a lot of people know about because when I found it I couldn't even find one picture of it installed. The reason for installing them is because 22 years has done a number on my dial indicators and taking my HVAC panel apart finished the job as the whole indicator de-laminated in the process. So yeah, if you're taking apart your HVAC panel be ridiculously careful with the OEM indicators, and if you break them, there are options for getting them back in order.

The dial indicators are very very nice and have adhesive backsides that you carefully stick onto the acrylic stock gauge supports. Here you can see the replacement dials and how they are designed to let the backlighting pass through:

Here are the acrylic gauge supports cleaned up and ready to have the new dials installed:

Here is the fan level indicator being installed as well as a peek at the second trick in my assembly:

The trick was lifted from this thread:
http://www.rx7club.com/3rd-generation-specific-1993-2002-16/eureka-fix-plastic-parts-kinda-long-w-pics-828143/

It uses a product called plasti-aid which I was doubtful of at first but changed my mind.
I've tried everything to come up with solutions for fixing the FD's terrible plastics. Glues, epoxies, fiberglass, plastic welding (good but limited to certain situations), etc etc. All of it except for plastic welding is limited by one big thing. It's adhesion with the panel's ABS plastic. This stuff's liquid base is a STRONG solvent that melts ABS. That's really how it works. You mix in the second part and apply it to the panel and it melts into the panel so that it forms a very good bond. Very happy with it so far. The only downside is that it's messy and it sets up quick so you can be dealing with something runny and it will be the consistency of an elmers glue stick 30 seconds later. The nice thing is that adding more solvent takes it back to liquid form; so you'll constantly be mixing and adding while working with it.

Anyway, like the picture above shows, I'm reinforcing all the plastic standoffs on my interior panels because as anyone who's ever handled FD plastic's knows they're the first things to break / split.

Going together. Ahhhh 100% screw engagement feels soo sturdy :D

Another shot:

Get ready for the money shot  :D

Bam

8)

Lane

Offline Nfinitecc

• Staged
  • [URL=http://s919.photobucket.com/user/WCStanford/m
  • View Gallery
    • View Profile
« Reply #894 on: May 26, 2015, 05:51:11 PM »
Damn good looking panel lane, nice work.

Offline digital_hoon

« Reply #895 on: May 27, 2015, 08:57:09 AM »
ahhh, yesss! I've been thinking about how I should refurbish my HVAC gauges and hadn't seen anybody doing it before.

This is exactly what I need! Thanks for sharing Lane.
www.C2renders.com  - Digital marketing assets tailored to the automotive aftermarket.

'07 RS4
'93 Montego Blue FD - Mid-operation

Offline halfspec

« Reply #896 on: June 15, 2015, 10:21:11 PM »

I don't know about you but it's not every day I see a concept reproduced so faithfully.

Major props goes out to John and V8-rx7 for turning my doodles into literally the exhaust of my dreams  :cheers:

Why did I take it off besides to show it off? That's a story for tomorrow :)

Lane

Offline halfspec

« Reply #897 on: June 17, 2015, 08:26:37 AM »
More pics of the exhaust:

I removed it temporarily for 5 reasons:
1. I had to paint my samberg trans brace due to the fact I neglected to mention to John that it was mild steel and would rust
2. I had to patch up the holes in my floorboards left over from my kevin doe trans brace install then 3M underbody over the patches
3. There's a little work to be done between the resonator and the straight pipe. The straight pipe is slightly longer than the resonator so I'm sending it back to be shortened.
4. I'm redoing my tank to filter fuel line (don't like the on/off valve after all)
5. Swapping over to the oval muffler

Painting the samberg trance brace:

A couple of interior panels finished:

I officially put an offer in on a new house due to a job change my wife is making and we listed our house yesterday. Trying to turn up the heat on the reassembly since I don't want to be moving a bunch of parts to the new house. With that in mind, I'm making a strong attempt at getting the RX7's audio system installed this week minus its amp and sub box.

Lane

Offline jeffp5

« Reply #898 on: June 17, 2015, 11:18:39 AM »
How do you like the 275/40/17 rears and 255/40/17 fronts? I have a set of 17x10's and i need new tires. I had previously run 255/40 all around. My concern with the 275/40 is the height, they look pretty tall in your pictures.

93 RX7/LS1/T56
05 Jeep Grand Cherokee Limited hemi

Offline halfspec

« Reply #899 on: June 17, 2015, 02:27:58 PM »
How do you like the 275/40/17 rears and 255/40/17 fronts? I have a set of 17x10's and i need new tires. I had previously run 255/40 all around. My concern with the 275/40 is the height, they look pretty tall in your pictures.

The 275/40/17s are great. I wish I could run them up front and forgo the stretch with the 255s. I haven't had any issues with height but I run coilovers. I haven't rubbed on any quarter so far but I do have less than 1k miles on the car so take that for what its worth.

Lane