May 13, 2024, 10:33:22 PM

Author Topic: FD Exhaust Set-ups Lets See Em!  (Read 18851 times)

Mr. krinkle

FD Exhaust Set-ups Lets See Em!
« on: October 16, 2010, 08:04:44 PM »
Im wanting to do something new with my exhaust and after doing some searching I couldnt really find too many pics of the full system setups amongst FD LSX owners. Of those that I could find Ive also noticed some different routing methods amongst different mount kit or custom fabbed mount users.

Lets see some of yalls setups, maybe also help others decide on a future setup as well. From The headers to the muffler.

Sorry if this is a repost thread, but I searched and didnt see anything like it.

:cheers:

Offline BrownBoy

Re: FD Exhaust Set-ups Lets See Em!
« Reply #1 on: October 16, 2010, 08:27:22 PM »
*Subscribed*

Offline dark-one

« Reply #3 on: October 17, 2010, 03:01:53 AM »
Keep it looking rotary to surprise some folks

Offline marcus.raw

« Reply #4 on: October 17, 2010, 03:47:09 AM »
this is my setup, its a thermal R&D muffler, with a little more subtle twin tip than the racing beat setup. its also got the vibrant ultra quiet resonator

iphone video

canon g10 video

93 ls2 FD :drive:

build thread

Offline Jordan Innovations

• Supporting Member
  • Top Fuel
  • Competition Mil-spec wiring/electronics since 2005
  • View Gallery
    • View Profile
    • Jordan Innovations
« Reply #5 on: October 17, 2010, 05:14:34 AM »
You guys with your dual 2.5" exhausts make me lol.  So many of us are touching the ~500 crank hp number where 2.5" exhaust becomes a very real restriction.  I dig Sabre's X-pipe to dual N1 setup though, that's a good blend of V8 tuning and JDM look.   

I also sigh when I see nice headers then a y-pipe into a JDM catback with guys trying to 'fool some people' into thinking its a stock FD.  I don't get that, there's no fooling when you step on it.

Anyways, I digress...

Let me preface this with the notion that my car's aggressive looking enough that no one knows what it is ~ I get people asking if it's the new Vette, a Viper, some kit car, etc.  It scares people.  I dig that.  I wanted to build an exhaust that kept them guessing.

I had JTR 1 7/8" ceramic coated headers into a dual 3" -> single 3" chambered Magnaflow and the overall volume was OK, but it sounded too much like a truck.  Also, I know that a single 3" pipe is not ideal performance-wise, and who knows if there's any X-pipe scavenging happening in the muffler.

I enlisted Luke @ Blu808 when I wanted to make a new system, and he finally agreed.  I wanted to make an exhaust system that was performance first, everything else last, and after hearing Conrad Grunewald's 2010 Camaro with it's LSA on straight pipes all season (we built that car and campaigned it in Formula D to a 12th overall finish this year) I knew what sound I wanted.

Without question, I wanted center-out tips.  Mid to high end hp meant H-pipe instead of X-pipe.  I wanted a straight-pipe sound without rattles and without the 110+db noise, that meant mufflers.  Due to the fuel tank location (I chose not to go with a fuel cell), this gets tricky.  Lastly, my car's low (yes, it's lower than yours) so ground clearance is of utmost importance.  Boom tubes are the answer.

They're each 7.5" x 1.5", 16ga mild steel, and TIG welded by the Luke Lonberger.  Started with 1.5" tube cut down the side with a sidecutting bit on Luke's mill, then 6" x 18" plates welded in.

From my JTR 1 7/8" headers, we have some intricate 3" sections to clear Hinson's early trans mount, and then a couple SLP "mufflers".  Pic from mockup:

As you can see, not much muffling going on.  I wanted 3" perforated-core mufflers with stainless steel packing, but my overall width restriction of ~9.5" killed 99% of my options... these have a 4" outer diameter so they fit, but just barely.

Math said the H-pipe should come right where the middle of the mufflers were, so for packaging's sake we put this beauty in right after the mufflers:

The ease at which Luke makes these technically perfect, aesthetically pleasing pieces EVERY TIME continues to impress me.  Check out this weld from one of the transitions...

Anyway, car still needs paint/bodywork since my SEMA-sponsored-job fell through, so no 'finished' pics.  Here's a vid I took driving home though.  I believe it's a 2nd->5th run, with some traffic in the way. 
http://www.facebook.com/v/143533812356677
« Last Edit: October 17, 2010, 03:38:13 PM by Jordan Innovations »

Offline spacevomit

« Reply #6 on: October 17, 2010, 12:44:09 PM »
Jordan: I'm still trying to pick my jaw up off the floor. No luck so far. I don't have a complete exhaust sytem, but it will end in a Racing Beat dual tip catback.

Offline marcus.raw

« Reply #7 on: October 17, 2010, 02:09:44 PM »

I also sigh when I see nice headers then a y-pipe into a JDM catback with guys trying to 'fool some people' into thinking its a stock FD.  I don't get that, there's no fooling when you step on it.

Let me preface this with the notion that my car's aggressive looking enough that no one knows what it is ~ I get people asking if it's the new Vette, a Viper, some kit car, etc.  It scares people

while i didnt go jdm catback, my exhaust is pretty quiet at idle, and i try to look like a stock FD because i live in CA, mostly trying to fool the cops. but even then, i dont get why you would sigh at people trying to look like a stock FD because theres no hiding the noise when you get on it, while you enjoy fooling people to thinking the car sounds/looks like a vette/viper/kit car, i mean, anyone with some kinda car background knowledge should not mistake it for as such.
just sayin
93 ls2 FD :drive:

build thread

Offline mattster03

« Reply #8 on: October 17, 2010, 03:20:24 PM »
You guys with your dual 2.5" exhausts make me lol.  So many of us are touching the ~500 crank hp number where 2.5" exhaust becomes a very real restriction.

Well your exhaust makes me lol.

Here's my exhaust:

1-3/4" JTR ceramic coated headers
y-pipe
3" Single exhaust
3" magnaflow muffler

Current Car: 1993 Mazda RX7 Touring, LS1/T56, Stock Stock Stock

1993 Mazda RX7 R1, LS1/T56, EPS 230/238, TSP Ported heads
10.826 @ 128 , 1.53 60' - SOLD

Feature Article - http://www.importmeet.com/blog/2012/03/29/best-of-both-worlds-v8rx7guys-ls1-swapped-1993-mazda-rx-7/
Swap Info - http://www.cardomain.com/ride/2801662

1986 Mazda RX7 GXL, LT1/T56 "Retired"
Swap Info - http://www.cardomain.com/ride/641869

Offline MikeC

« Reply #9 on: October 17, 2010, 03:24:42 PM »
JTR 1 7/8 headers
2.5" Dual Magnaflow Cats
2.5" to 3" Merge
Borla xr-1 muffler
Dual tip Borla muffler
All Mandrel bent Stainless
« Last Edit: October 17, 2010, 03:26:32 PM by MikeC »

Offline Jordan Innovations

• Supporting Member
  • Top Fuel
  • Competition Mil-spec wiring/electronics since 2005
  • View Gallery
    • View Profile
    • Jordan Innovations
« Reply #10 on: October 17, 2010, 04:01:50 PM »
Jordan: I'm still trying to pick my jaw up off the floor. No luck so far. I don't have a complete exhaust sytem, but it will end in a Racing Beat dual tip catback.

Haha, thanks J. 

while i didnt go jdm catback, my exhaust is pretty quiet at idle, and i try to look like a stock FD because i live in CA, mostly trying to fool the cops. but even then, i dont get why you would sigh at people trying to look like a stock FD because theres no hiding the noise when you get on it, while you enjoy fooling people to thinking the car sounds/looks like a vette/viper/kit car, i mean, anyone with some kinda car background knowledge should not mistake it for as such.
just sayin

Don't let the Mississippi plate fool you, I live in the home of the automotive aftermarket... I'm 10 mins from Irwindale Speedway in the 626.  I do see the hypocrisy in my statement though, I dunno.  It's all gravy. 

Offline MPbdy

« Reply #11 on: October 17, 2010, 04:33:04 PM »
Pretty shitty how we have some of the best companies in California and its becoming harder and harder to use their parts legally.

I was just at Irwindale this morning for a bracket race and it rained.  Wtf socal.

I don't have anything to add to this thread yet :)

Offline theantirotor

« Reply #12 on: October 17, 2010, 06:38:20 PM »

They're each 7.5" x 1.5", 16ga mild steel, and TIG welded by the Luke Lonberger.  Started with 1.5" tube cut down the side with a sidecutting bit on Luke's mill, then 6" x 18" plates welded in.

There is a name that hasn't been LOL'ed at in quite a while.  Didn't he get laughed off of v8rx7forum?  I honestly don't remember since that is all gone now but I seem to remember JIMLAB tearing him a new one and then he had a meltdown on both v8rx7forum and rx7club?
:bacon:

Offline RX7what

« Reply #13 on: October 17, 2010, 07:02:27 PM »
Holy crap. Your rep just went down 500%. Should have never mentioned that name. And boom tubes on street car ::) . How far is your exhaust from your gas tank?

Yeah Luke was powned pretty bad on both the club and on the torque central. He also tried to own some one once on a different forum and then everyone posted up all the treads of him getting crapped on. It was amazing.
« Last Edit: October 17, 2010, 07:04:50 PM by RX7what »
PER AUDACIA AD ASTRA
95 FD #496/499 LS2   http://www.norotors.com/index.php?topic=4789.0

Norotors is far and away the best car forum on the Internet, bar none.

Offline theantirotor

« Reply #14 on: October 17, 2010, 11:31:27 PM »
I thought that was the guy in question.
:bacon: