May 04, 2024, 09:01:10 PM

Author Topic: Mississippi FD - 383CI Forged LS1 Stroker Build  (Read 346125 times)

Offline V8-rx7

Re: Mississippi FD - 383CI Forged LS1 Stroker Build
« Reply #255 on: February 13, 2012, 05:32:46 PM »
I'll take the wrapped handle to put on my aluminum one.

Sending you a pm now
86 RX7 Under reconstruction Twin Turbo LS1/T56 8.8 IRS  
93 RX7 MB Touring Stock Rotary with some bolt ons

Offline perf0rmance

« Reply #257 on: March 28, 2012, 01:34:34 AM »
by me asking for an update should subscribe me to this dope build. It should have been about a month now so your paint should have some news

Offline halfspec

« Reply #258 on: March 28, 2012, 03:28:01 PM »
This project isn't completely dead... I've had a lot going on. I got engaged right after Christmas, so I've been busy with prepping/paying for that. Thankfully its a pretty simple deal since we're doing a weddingmoon in Jamaica at  Sandals resort with only our parents attending. I just have to pay for it :P

After Christmas I also pulled the engine out of my brothers mr2, rebuilt a gen3 3SGTE, then installed the gen3 back in my bro's 2. It was an involved build, which I did all by myself and I took my time like I'm taking my time with this build :D I just finished the mr2 build 3 weeks ago. Since then I've closed on a new house, painted every room in it (2000 sq feet) and moved all of my fiance's stuff in. So.. Yeah, I haven't really been pressuring or even checking in on the paint guys much because I haven't had the time or money to get started again.

As for the RX7, I checked in on it in the middle of February since my painter said he'd like to let the paint cure over January in hopes that the defect removal would have a higher chance of success. When I checked in, he agreed it was time to get started. After two weeks I stopped by again to find that he was sanding the hatch's clear coat because he now strongly suspected the defect was in the clear coat. Another week and he had clear coated the hatch again. When I came by to inspect it, the defects were very faint but still there and he knew it and wasn't trying to hide the fact. He said he probably didn't cut deep enough into the clear coat, but that he still thinks it's salvageable without having to strip the clear coat. At that point I could tell he had lost just about all his motivation to get the job done and he once again offered to let me take the car home and get it finished up and he would get it finished up when I finished up. That was how things were left up until yesterday when you bumped this thread up from the grave perf0rmance :D

I've been hesitant to take my painter up on his offer to let me finish the car while he takes a break, but seeing that he's burnt out on the project and hasn't been making progress for weeks I decided it was time to get the car back. Perf0rmance's bump made me realize the car's been in the shop for 7 months now. It's time...
Today I went by and told him I'd be coming by tomorrow to pick the car up. He won't accept any form of payment until the car is finished, so I'm just going to get it home and start working on getting my interior put back in.

I expect I'll have the interior and exterior put back together in a month or less. After that I'm not sure what the plan is to get the back 1/2 of the car repainted or recleared. He did finish cutting everything in so he said I could put as much back together on the car as I wanted.

Should have a picture update tomorrow when I pick up the car :D

Lane

Offline ltsr

« Reply #259 on: March 28, 2012, 03:56:41 PM »
Looking forward to seeing the updated pics  :drive:
///M

Offline halfspec

« Reply #260 on: March 29, 2012, 01:04:10 PM »
It's baaaaack

Doesn't look too bad from a distance does it?

Here's a close up on one of the worst problem spots that affect the doors, rear quarter, rear bumper, and hatch.

I'll have to live with it until I can get those parts repainted.

Happy its home though. Let the build resume! :)

Lane

Offline LNF_AJ

« Reply #261 on: March 29, 2012, 07:44:21 PM »
What the hell is that? I've never seen that before.  It almost seems like they used the edge of the sanding block only in the body glaze/filler.  :scratch:

Offline halfspec

« Reply #262 on: March 29, 2012, 09:14:52 PM »
Only God knows. If my painter knows, he's not acting like he does. His best guess was that it was a problem with the paint underneath. Said it contracted or expanded differently than the new paint when they baked it.  Apparently it looks great when it went in to be baked and came out looking like that. He was also throwing around the idea that it's all in the clear coat. Whatever it is scared the motivation to complete the car out of him. My only worry is what's going to happen when I take it back to get finished. Good thing is that I'm not out of any money, so if he doesn't want to finish it, I'll just try somebody else :/

Lane

Offline cool

« Reply #263 on: March 29, 2012, 09:59:13 PM »
That's wild.

Offline mefarri

« Reply #264 on: March 29, 2012, 10:05:06 PM »
The fact that they're all straight lines would make it seem like maybe the edge of the sanding pad dug in or something and created low spots.
"I'm not sure what your intent was because I don't speak "dumbshit", but next time, start your own thread. "

-Jimlab

"Otherwise it looks like something I can build over a weekend, if I spent the first day watching TV."

-Blake motherfucking McBride

Offline Speedfab

« Reply #265 on: March 29, 2012, 10:11:29 PM »
This project isn't completely dead... I've had a lot going on. I got engaged right after Christmas, so I've been busy with prepping/paying for that. Thankfully its a pretty simple deal since we're doing a weddingmoon in Jamaica at  Sandals resort with only our parents attending. I just have to pay for it :P

You got that right...  You'll be paying for that for the rest of your life.  :D

unless you own a turbo ls9 rx7 you do not know what the fuck you are talking about.

Offline cool

« Reply #266 on: March 29, 2012, 10:17:08 PM »
I don't think they are sanding lines. If they were, you would see more intersecting lines. Most of those lines don't appear to even touch, except for the one that forms a Mercedes emblem (3 lines with a central starting point).

It reminds me a lot of a thin layer of ice that has been fractured by the wake of a passing barge. That makes me think that the paint shrunk more than the clear during the baking process. Can you feel these lines by hand? Do they create peaks or valleys?

I'm interested to see what the painter finds.

Offline halfspec

« Reply #267 on: March 30, 2012, 03:29:50 PM »
I don't think they are sanding lines. If they were, you would see more intersecting lines. Most of those lines don't appear to even touch, except for the one that forms a Mercedes emblem (3 lines with a central starting point).

It reminds me a lot of a thin layer of ice that has been fractured by the wake of a passing barge. That makes me think that the paint shrunk more than the clear during the baking process. Can you feel these lines by hand? Do they create peaks or valleys?

I'm interested to see what the painter finds.

I keep forgetting to feel the panels with my fingers/fingernails. Ever since I parked it in my garage I've been working on it, but I've stayed about 3ft away from every painted panel for fear of scratching something :D The painter always said it wasn't something you could feel. I'm curious, but busy. I'll get to it ASAP.

You got that right...  You'll be paying for that for the rest of your life.  :D

That's what everybody tells me. I guess it's just one of those lessons you have to learn yourself :P

Lane

Offline project dc2

« Reply #268 on: March 30, 2012, 04:12:40 PM »
is it solvent paint ? if so back in the day if they didnt catalyze dark colors or black  you'd get that in the paint after it cured and when it became very humid and hot

Offline halfspec

« Reply #269 on: March 30, 2012, 04:23:35 PM »
is it solvent paint ? if so back in the day if they didnt catalyze dark colors or black  you'd get that in the paint after it cured and when it became very humid and hot

I don't know. Since I'm in Mississippi I'm not sure if they require that everybody stop using solvent based stuff. I'll have to ask when I take it back.

Lane