April 26, 2024, 06:21:55 PM

Author Topic: Any new Clutch Master Cylinder Options?  (Read 32734 times)

Offline halfspec

Any new Clutch Master Cylinder Options?
« on: March 24, 2014, 11:02:59 AM »
I'm curious if anyone has come up with a new clutch master cylinder option that's compatible with our firewall hole and screw layout?
I've got an original Hinson modified Wilwood 7/8" MC and I'm worried it may be on its way out.
Bleeding through the reservoir with a mightyvac is always a crap shoot for me. Just an example, I'll bleed it twice for 15 minutes each and get good pedal feel, then bleed it a third time only to have the pedal drop to the floor.  I'm also always chasing the ability to get full pedal action. I was able to get it a year or two ago by bench bleeding the MC then bleeding at the slave. I've gotten it once bleeding through the reservoir which was my last bleed. I let my car sit for 3 months and yesterday I find I've lost 2-3" of pedal travel only giving me the last 1/2 of the pedal that engages.

Sooo. Paired with the Wilwood's crappy reputation that's further aggravated by the welded "mod" Hinson does, I'm looking for alternatives. I remember Pez hinting at an alternative but I don't remember him officially releasing it + I'm not sure if he's planning of rebooting his biz.

Any help is appreciated
Lane

Offline RAPID

Re: Any new Clutch Master Cylinder Options?
« Reply #1 on: March 24, 2014, 01:43:05 PM »
Seems like I remember 65imp using one from a Toyota. Land Cruiser I think. Check his build thread.

I have a MightyVac too but didn't get much help from it. What did help and make the job easy is this; I have a Tick remote slave bleeder line. I put some silicone hose on the end of their so called check valve and ran that to into the reservoir. It was like bench bleeding but with everything hooked up and ready to drive.

Does this mean your keeping your FD ?
Joe

Offline rrtec

« Reply #2 on: March 24, 2014, 03:14:08 PM »
I saw someone did a mazda 929?

Offline Pez

« Reply #3 on: March 24, 2014, 08:06:58 PM »
I remember Pez hinting at an alternative but I don't remember him officially releasing it

85 Toyota Land Cruiser. You need to drill and tap another hole in the mounting flange, but not hard to do with a combo drill/tap bit. The shaft isn't long enough, so you need to weld an extension on the clevis, or extend the pushrod. You need a 10mm x 1.0 banjo bolt.

95 F150 with custom bracket that I already have CNC cut. You need the FD pushrod and a roll pin to -4 adapter.

I'm not sure if he's planning of rebooting his biz.

Rebooting? Just because we had to take a break from new orders from the internet, doesn't mean we need to restart. Lemme show you what's been going on. :drive:

I saw someone did a mazda 929?

That's the brake MC.
FC/FD plug and play wiring harnesses, LSx swap AC systems, LSx swap power steering lines.

Offline quinns

« Reply #4 on: March 24, 2014, 10:05:27 PM »
GTM looks ballin. Any details on the quality of those kits pez?

Not to derail this post. I bled my clutch and its sat for 3 months and so far so good but I'm not driving my car yet. I know all about Wilwoods quality though. I have a Loftness Grain Bagger on my farm and there's brakes on it for how it functions. So far in 3 years I've put 2 sets of wilwood calipers on it and 1 master cylinder. At least their components are relatively cheap.
1993 Rx-7 Base LS3 TR6060 Ronin 8.8
1997.5 Hummer H1
2006 Hummer H2 SUT

Offline Pez

« Reply #5 on: March 24, 2014, 10:22:19 PM »
GTM looks ballin. Any details on the quality of those kits pez?

Tube chassis seemed very well made.  Biggest complaint the owner had was the body.  The paint shop charged him in and back out of the ass to prep it for paint.  I'm sure there's a lot involved in prepping a brand new fiberglass body that's never been seen a sanding block. Other than that, the quality of the car is 100% based on the quality of the builder.
FC/FD plug and play wiring harnesses, LSx swap AC systems, LSx swap power steering lines.

Offline halfspec

« Reply #6 on: March 24, 2014, 10:34:47 PM »

I'm not sure if he's planning of rebooting his biz.

Rebooting? Just because we had to take a break from new orders from the internet, doesn't mean we need to restart. Lemme show you what's been going on. :drive:

Very Glad to hear it. I was simply referring to your vender forum status. I knew you didn't up and stop doing what you do  :yay: Really awesome pics too. GTM looks drooltastic. I would be happy to just to lay eyes on half the stuff you're working on.

Thank you for clarifying the clutch MC options.

For the Landcruiser MC, is there a way to avoid welding and just use a thread adapter / extension like this?

http://www.mcmaster.com/#thread-adapter-standoffs/=r8o1c9

I say this without knowing the thread size and pitch of the stock clevis, so there may be a very obvious reason for why this hasn't been done yet.

For the F150 MC, are you selling the CNC adapters? If so, what are you getting for them and are they available right now?

Lane

Offline Pez

« Reply #7 on: March 24, 2014, 10:46:33 PM »
I had the f150 adapters made up before I moved into the new shop. I will have to dig them out of a storage bin.  For the Land Cruiser MC, an adapter like this would work, but it MAAAAY have to be a little longer, like 25-30mm

http://www.mcmaster.com/#92499a622/=r8o8mz

FD clevis is 8mm x 1.0, MC rod is 8mm x 1.25.

I would just take the clevis off, and weld one of these to it.
http://www.mcmaster.com/#93590a220/=r8oakp

I would also run a nut all the way up on the rod before installation, and pop a tack on the sleeve (not the threaded) side of the nut to weld it to the rod. Just a tiny tack so that you have a hex on the rod, which makes adjusting it once in the car 1000% easier.

Or just get a different clevis
http://www.mcmaster.com/#2448k47/=r8oh1h
« Last Edit: March 24, 2014, 11:02:14 PM by Pez »

Offline halfspec

« Reply #8 on: March 25, 2014, 08:40:29 AM »
I had the f150 adapters made up before I moved into the new shop. I will have to dig them out of a storage bin.  For the Land Cruiser MC, an adapter like this would work, but it MAAAAY have to be a little longer, like 25-30mm

http://www.mcmaster.com/#92499a622/=r8o8mz

FD clevis is 8mm x 1.0, MC rod is 8mm x 1.25.

I would just take the clevis off, and weld one of these to it.
http://www.mcmaster.com/#93590a220/=r8oakp

I would also run a nut all the way up on the rod before installation, and pop a tack on the sleeve (not the threaded) side of the nut to weld it to the rod. Just a tiny tack so that you have a hex on the rod, which makes adjusting it once in the car 1000% easier.

Or just get a different clevis
http://www.mcmaster.com/#2448k47/=r8oh1h

Thank you for the info Greg!
I think at this point I'm sold on the Landcruiser MC as I think I'm already using a 10mm x 1.0 banjo on my wilwood setup.
Just so I'm clear though, when you say "You need to drill and tap another hole in the mounting flange, but not hard to do with a combo drill/tap bit" are you referring to the flange on the LC MC or the firewall side of the RX7?

Lane

Offline Pez

« Reply #9 on: March 25, 2014, 09:29:36 AM »
The mounting tabs on the LC MC are at an angle, just like fd MC is, so you don't need a Hinson style MC adapter to mount the MC upright. The issue is that the LC MC's mounting holes are not the equal distance from the center. The upper hole (the one you can't see in the pic) is about .5" farther. So, you can drill a new hole and use a nut/bolt, or drill/tap and use a stud or just a bolt.

Pretty easy to understand if you had it in your hand. Advantages include parts store availability, oem quality, half the price of the wilwood, and no adapter required.

Offline ebdyguy

« Reply #10 on: March 25, 2014, 10:51:58 AM »
I have been looking at these as well.  Here is a link to an e-bay ad that has pictures where you can see the offset of the two bolt very well.  Looks like $60 gets you one.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Toyota-Land-Cruiser-85-86-87-Clutch-Master-Cylinder-Aisin-3141060282-/190814871681#ht_2352wt_1161

Offline halfspec

« Reply #11 on: March 25, 2014, 10:52:26 AM »
The mounting tabs on the LC MC are at an angle, just like fd MC is, so you don't need a Hinson style MC adapter to mount the MC upright. The issue is that the LC MC's mounting holes are not the equal distance from the center. The upper hole (the one you can't see in the pic) is about .5" farther. So, you can drill a new hole and use a nut/bolt, or drill/tap and use a stud or just a bolt.

Pretty easy to understand if you had it in your hand. Advantages include parts store availability, oem quality, half the price of the wilwood, and no adapter required.

Sounds good to me and I'm pretty much sold. I'm sure you're right about having it in my hands. I'm fed up with my wilwood and it looks like this will be a < $50 replacement all in. I just need to figure out if my clutch line is a -3AN or a -4AN and buy the right banjo & bolt to work with the LC MC.  After I get it in I'll explore my clevis / adapter options :)

Appreciate the help Greg.
Lane

Offline ebdyguy

« Reply #13 on: March 25, 2014, 11:58:20 AM »
Yeah - I was just posting it for the picture.  Toyota sells their OEM one for about $140  :o

Offline ebdyguy

« Reply #14 on: March 25, 2014, 12:21:20 PM »
What is the actual bore diameter for the LC Master?

The reason I am asking is that I actually need a 1 inch bore master for my set up and I have not come across an OEM replacement - and I believe that the LC one would be 7/8 or smaller. I need to push more fluid than that.
« Last Edit: March 25, 2014, 04:54:06 PM by ebdyguy »