April 26, 2024, 12:19:50 AM

Author Topic: FD Pruning kick pannels  (Read 2724 times)

Offline RAPID

FD Pruning kick pannels
« on: August 02, 2013, 11:28:08 AM »
I'm trying to reroute some things in my kick panels. I'm trying to install speakers that are too deep for my doors.
This FD01 box, Is that the joint box ? What does it do? Is it needed for the swap ? I plan to change steering wheels to one without a air bag. Can I bypass the airbag here or is it better done under the hood ? I plan to integrate a aftermarket alarm with the stock alarm.
I'm hoping someone can match what I see under the driver-side kick with the annotated harness stickie.
Joe

Offline RAPID

Re: FD Pruning kick pannels
« Reply #1 on: August 02, 2013, 03:16:01 PM »
Another pic with the dash removed.
I'm trying to pull the cabin fan. Do I have to disconnect my A/C lines from my evap core or can I just slide it over enough for the fan to drop out ?
Joe

Offline halfspec

« Reply #2 on: August 02, 2013, 04:08:10 PM »
The black FD01 box is the ECU/Theft Deterrent Control System.

Aside from being the stock factory alarm brain, its the thing that lets you know if your key is still in the lock cylinder when you open your door, lights up the seatbelt light if you're unbuckled, and it controls the alarm light in your center console.

From memory, those are the only things I'd consider losses when you unplug it. There's definitely no danger in unplugging it if you want to experiment with what doesn't work when its gone :D

Oh yeah, you can definitely remove the blower fan without having to remove the A/C lines & evaporator. It's a 3 screw operation.

Lane

Offline RAPID

« Reply #3 on: August 02, 2013, 04:52:38 PM »
Thanx Lane. While I got you in here. I'm getting a cheap D shaped steering wheel and want to lose the Air bag. I only see three wires coming from X-09, can I make a cut or join here to avoid having a air bag light ? and is it orange first/then blue to disconnect ?
Joe

Offline halfspec

« Reply #4 on: August 03, 2013, 01:21:45 AM »
Removing the airbag system is actually extremely easy and is the correct way to deactivate it. Just pull out all the blue and orange wiring. The A/C harness is completely separate from any other harness. Well.... The horn ties in somewhere from what I can remember, but if you're putting in an aftermarket wheel, you're going to have to do something with that anyway.

I didn't know their was an order to remove the orange and blue connectors. I just pulled it all out. X-09 gets completely deleted. Take out the airbag controller too which is close to the center of the dash.

I didn't get any airbag lights after that. Of course I redid my gauge cluster so I guess I'm not the best guy to ask :P

Good luck

Lane

Offline mattster03

« Reply #5 on: August 03, 2013, 11:57:09 AM »
Yeah, there's only one way to connect and disconnect those air bag connectors... its designed in such a way to only allow you to do it properly so you can't screw it up!
Current Car: 1993 Mazda RX7 Touring, LS1/T56, Stock Stock Stock

1993 Mazda RX7 R1, LS1/T56, EPS 230/238, TSP Ported heads
10.826 @ 128 , 1.53 60' - SOLD

Feature Article - http://www.importmeet.com/blog/2012/03/29/best-of-both-worlds-v8rx7guys-ls1-swapped-1993-mazda-rx-7/
Swap Info - http://www.cardomain.com/ride/2801662

1986 Mazda RX7 GXL, LT1/T56 "Retired"
Swap Info - http://www.cardomain.com/ride/641869

Offline RAPID

« Reply #6 on: August 03, 2013, 09:19:54 PM »
Yeah, there's only one way to connect and disconnect those air bag connectors... its designed in such a way to only allow you to do it properly so you can't screw it up!

Safety first ! I will properly use the wire cutters on it. I've got a green connector on the floor harness that connects to the bottom of the fuse box that I will have to extend to finish my "comb-over". Does anyone know what it handles ?

I have ameliorated the situation somewhat. I want to extend my speaker baffle as far up my kick panel as possible; I need enough airspace to exceed the speakers Vas and make them go free air/open baffle. The baffles sides will take in the lower hole in the A pillar so I can use it's space too. The upper hole for the door harness will be sealed.

I have all three mounts of my cabin fan free and it still seems to be caught on the evap. I leak r134 anyway, I'm going to try to vac it and pull it tomorrow. Tuesday is the next day I can work on it.
Joe

Offline halfspec

« Reply #7 on: August 04, 2013, 01:04:36 AM »

Safety first ! I will properly use the wire cutters on it.

What? Why would you need to use wire cutters on the airbag harness?

Lane

Offline RAPID

« Reply #8 on: August 04, 2013, 11:06:34 AM »
Because you said to.  :wave:
is the correct way to deactivate it. Just pull out all the blue and orange wiring.
and even if I did ever go back to the stock wheel I will never have that bomb strapped onto it again. I've seen the video.

The desktop that I had all my manuals on died. Does anyone have a link to the FSM FD electronics manual ? I need the pin-out of this green floor harness connector .
Joe

Offline halfspec

« Reply #9 on: August 04, 2013, 12:36:06 PM »
Because you said to.  :wave:
is the correct way to deactivate it. Just pull out all the blue and orange wiring.
and even if I did ever go back to the stock wheel I will never have that bomb strapped onto it again. I've seen the video.

The desktop that I had all my manuals on died. Does anyone have a link to the FSM FD electronics manual ? I need the pin-out of this green floor harness connector .

I never set to pull out the wire cutters and start chopping it apart did I?

The orange and blue wiring have connectors you can disconnect at the sensors and controllers with your fingers like any other connector in the rx7; there just a little more complicated because they adult proof the connectors with locks to try and keep them from coming unplugged. Still, it's very possible and you shouldn't have to 'cut' anything.

FSMs are here:

http://www.norotors.com/index.php?topic=772.0

Lane

Offline armt350

« Reply #10 on: August 10, 2013, 01:39:43 PM »
when in doubt, cut it out??

All seriousness though, I didnt cut mine, it was unplug, cut some tape in certain areas and then just remove at as a near whole harness.

Offline RAPID

« Reply #11 on: August 13, 2013, 05:43:12 PM »
when in doubt, cut it out??
I would like to cut out this blue connector, X5. Only one wire was used from it in the swap so I pulled that wire away and bypassed the connector.
Other than that I think it's routed well enough to start the boxes.
Joe