May 06, 2024, 11:33:19 PM

Author Topic: T56 2nd gear grind on hard/fast shifts from 1st to 2nd  (Read 32421 times)

Offline Mik3ymomo

Re: T56 2nd gear grind on hard/fast shifts from 1st to 2nd
« Reply #60 on: September 24, 2013, 08:48:26 PM »
Looking forward to your thoughts once its back in. Never know when I may need the same service.
93 CYM Base Single Turbo
94 Chaste White Base 22k Original miles Stock
94 Chaste White PEP 29k Miles (sold)
94 Chaste White PEP LS3 T56 Swap (Sold)
93 BB Touring 20B Swap (Sold)
http://www.flickr.com/photos/mik3ymomo/

Offline halfspec

« Reply #61 on: October 04, 2013, 03:02:04 PM »
Well the trans is in and I finally got my car back on the ground, but I'm having problems  :'(

I can't shift into reverse to save my life and the shifter is so tight I feel like I'm only getting into 3rd and 4th. My arm is aching from my earlier attempts. CAGs and the Reverse Lockout are unplugged right now although at first I played with HPtuners manually turning the reverse lockout on and off. I hate to think of what might be wrong but a part of me wants to say its because of the shipping breakup / rattle. I've contacted TDP. I really hope it's something easy to fix because I really don't want to drop this bitch a 3rd time. Yes you heard that right. It'll be my 3rd time if this is a major problem. I had to drop it again last weekend because a bellhousing boss let go after I had the trans almost completely done. Broke the threads out when I put a torque wrench on it. Only had about 30 ft/lbs on it when it let go :(

Lane

Offline Skeltic

« Reply #62 on: October 04, 2013, 03:29:04 PM »
DON'T PANIC!!!!!!!
Helicoils will fix your wagon in the end you will like having the heli's

Reverse was  a hard 2 handed shift for me for the first couple of months, then as things wore in it is an easy two handed shift.

If you can't get rev at all looks like you need to pull it and take it apart yourself.

It is not that hard, if I can do it you can too.
"You can sleep in your car, but you can't race your house."

Offline orion4096

« Reply #63 on: October 04, 2013, 04:34:28 PM »
In neutral is the shifter in the right position?  It's unlikely, but maybe they put the wrong shift offset lever back in (thing with the plastic/brass cup where the end of the shifter goes into).  The gto and fbody one are different lengths.

Offline halfspec

« Reply #64 on: October 04, 2013, 04:38:12 PM »
Who's panicking?  8)

I don't panic when it comes to stripped threads, it's just a kick in the balls when it happens. In this case I had two M10 threadsert kits but one was 1.25 and the other was 1.75. No help when the bellhousing is M10x1.5.

In the end I dropped everything out and took it to the machinist at the company I work for who just so happened to be working on Saturday. He fixed it with a Gaurdsert, which makes timeserts look like toys and helicoils look like baby toys. Gaurdserts are self tapping son! :D

Reverse aint happening, even with a hemorrhoid inducing everything I've got double handed shift. Like I said, my arm is still aching from the frustrated pushes I was giving it and I DO lift 4-5 days a week ;)

I hear what you're saying Matt but I just spent shy of $2k getting this thing professionally handled. I shouldn't have to do sh!t.

Jason from TDP has responded. We're talking over the possibility that the offset lever / shifter ball cup thing may be mismatched. I'm really hoping that's it because I think I can get that out without dropping everything back out.

Lane

Offline halfspec

« Reply #65 on: October 04, 2013, 04:42:04 PM »
In neutral is the shifter in the right position?  It's unlikely, but maybe they put the wrong shift offset lever back in (thing with the plastic/brass cup where the end of the shifter goes into).  The gto and fbody one are different lengths.

Good guess Mike. I'm hoping that's it. I'm trying to find pics of the original piece that was on it when I sent it in. I believe its got an fbody shift offset lever in it now. You can see it here:

This is the only pic of my old one I can find at the moment but I'm at work,

To me it looks like the same design except it was using a nylon ball cup.

We'll see....

Lane

Offline r71

« Reply #66 on: October 04, 2013, 04:49:26 PM »
You probably didn't make the same mistake as I did, but check your reverse lockout connector one last time. Mine had the same problem but there is a plug down there that is identical to the reverse lockout plug. I just plugged it into the wrong one. It was too long ago so I can't remember but just check it one more time.
94 FD
LS1 from 04 GTO
In Progress.....Almost done... Almost...

Build thread: http://www.norotors.com/index.php?topic=8308.msg116732#msg116732

Offline halfspec

« Reply #67 on: October 04, 2013, 04:52:38 PM »
You probably didn't make the same mistake as I did, but check your reverse lockout connector one last time. Mine had the same problem but there is a plug down there that is identical to the reverse lockout plug. I just plugged it into the wrong one. It was too long ago so I can't remember but just check it one more time.

Good idea but I'm pretty sure I'm in the clear here. I've never had the CAGs solenoid hooked up and the reverse lockout solenoid is completely disconnected at the moment. The only things I have hooked up are the reverse lights and the VSS sensor.

Lane

Offline Skeltic

« Reply #68 on: October 04, 2013, 04:58:30 PM »
I am trying to remember if those torque guide bolts might be not sitting right, and that is what is binding you  or the rev gear sycro has the spring and plate on the wrong sides. rev and 5/6 are in the tail housing so .....

Come on Lane you know you'll have to take it apart...... :poke:

Eventually
"You can sleep in your car, but you can't race your house."

Offline r71

« Reply #70 on: October 04, 2013, 05:06:38 PM »
I found the old post. Mine was plugged into the skip shift. Just mentioning it because the problem sounds identical to what I experienced.
[attachimg=1]

Good idea but I'm pretty sure I'm in the clear here. I've never had the CAGs solenoid hooked up and the reverse lockout solenoid is completely disconnected at the moment. The only things I have hooked up are the reverse lights and the VSS sensor.

Lane
94 FD
LS1 from 04 GTO
In Progress.....Almost done... Almost...

Build thread: http://www.norotors.com/index.php?topic=8308.msg116732#msg116732

Offline halfspec

« Reply #71 on: October 04, 2013, 05:10:50 PM »
I found the old post. Mine was plugged into the skip shift. Just mentioning it because the problem sounds identical to what I experienced.
[attachimg=1]

Lane

Not my issue.

http://www.norotors.com/index.php?action=media;sa=media;in=1844

The only thing in this pic that's plugged in on my trans is the VSS / Vehicle Speed Sensor

Lane

Offline orion4096

« Reply #72 on: October 04, 2013, 05:21:56 PM »
The rear/shifter offset lever looks like the right one to me.  Do you need to adjust the stops on your shifter?

Offline orion4096

« Reply #74 on: October 04, 2013, 05:48:00 PM »
Only other things I can think of right now require pulling it back out:

- See if it shifts off the car.
- Open up the shift detent cover on the main case and check if the front offset lever is binding and if the guide plate looks lined up properly.
- Send it to me for the cost of shipping and I'll put it to good use.