May 03, 2024, 06:04:55 PM

Author Topic: DIY electric power steering  (Read 15229 times)

Offline danzan

• Staged
  • Life is too short to drive a grocery cart
  • View Gallery
    • View Profile
DIY electric power steering
« on: May 09, 2010, 02:04:09 PM »
After installing my Maziere electric WP, i decided to go whole hog & convert to electric PS.  i used the toyota MR2 pump.

the ford F250 standard hose fits the MR2 pump perfectly.  i only had to attach the FD banjo fitting to the other end of the hose.

the steering assist is easily adjustable with a screw.  i have light assist (heavy flat palm on wheel @ rest).  the pump draws 25 amps on start & <15 amps SS, depending on vehicle speed.

i have a 200 amp dbelectric, self exciting alternator, which easily handles the mazier & PS pump

i am peased as a pig is shit.  i have no serpentine belt & if you believe the scuttlebut (i don't) ,

picked up 30 Hp.

the alternator bracket is the tensioner.  it costs ~$110 from BMR.  the hose was $22 & the shop charged me ~$25 to add the banjo fitting.  the pump cost ~$250 new.  they are about $ 60 in junk yards.
« Last Edit: May 09, 2010, 02:14:37 PM by danzan »
When the shit hits the fan, you'll find out who your friends are.

Offline Pete180

Re: DIY electric power steering
« Reply #1 on: May 09, 2010, 06:25:02 PM »
Thanx for bringing over the thread Dan. You Navy guys aren't that bad  ;)

You're a credit to the community....
1994 FD, LM4 5.3L, patriot stage 2 heads(milled to 59cc, .028 headgasket), 222-230 cam, ported ls1 intake, aeromotive fuel system, T-56, spec clutch, taurus fan, ron davis radiator

Offline halfspec

« Reply #2 on: May 10, 2010, 03:15:56 AM »
Thanks Danzan. People always wondered how my mr2 had power steering. When I showed them they never really understood what was going on :)

In mr2's the PS pump was a PITA because most people put their stereo amplifiers in the frunk and had to run the speaker wires back into the cabin through the firewall which was very close to the electric PS pump. Everybody that didn't shield the wires ended up with a nice little hum every time they turned the wheel :D

It's nice that FD's have a little more room in the back for amps and stuff and don't have that problem.

Lane

Offline ablake211

« Reply #3 on: February 13, 2011, 12:58:26 PM »
Old thread bump srry.

Are there any more pics of this setup? I am trying to figure out if this is the best route for my turbo setup.

Offline Andrew R

• Supporting Member
  • Launching!
  • Superunnatural
  • View Gallery
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: February 13, 2011, 01:10:47 PM »
that sure looks nice with no serpentine belt.

Offline turbotalon1g

« Reply #5 on: February 13, 2011, 01:22:28 PM »
Any info on what years the MR2 pump is out of?

Offline mefarri

« Reply #6 on: February 13, 2011, 01:31:25 PM »
Yea more pics would be great.  Also, what year model Mr2?  They've made em since 85.  And what year f250 for the hose?  Is there only 1 PS hose on the truck or is a specific one?  What's the deal on the adjustment screw?

How are you wiring and mounting the pump?

Also, why aren't more people doing this?  Seems like a simple solution.
"I'm not sure what your intent was because I don't speak "dumbshit", but next time, start your own thread. "

-Jimlab

"Otherwise it looks like something I can build over a weekend, if I spent the first day watching TV."

-Blake motherfucking McBride

Offline sciff5

« Reply #7 on: February 13, 2011, 01:35:12 PM »
how bout steering feel?

I would imagine that the amount of assist needed around the parking lot is much different than the highway so its either going to feel heavy at slow speeds or too soft on the highway I would imagine.

Offline Demon

« Reply #8 on: February 13, 2011, 01:35:39 PM »
91-95 Toyota MR2, I'd take a picture on my MR2, but it is a manual rack :(
'93 RX7 (co-project with macnewma)
'95 Supra Turbo Billet GT42-76

Offline DeaconBlue

« Reply #9 on: February 13, 2011, 05:00:02 PM »
That is very cool!  Just enough assist in the parking lot and not much if any at speed.

Offline Defenistrator

« Reply #10 on: February 14, 2011, 11:20:22 AM »
That's awesome.  I always assumed most electric power steering was like that in my cobalt (motor directly on the steering column, no hydraulics)

I definitely will be on the lookout for one of these.  Do you just wire it to switched power?  I'd imagine you'd want an additional relay and fuse for its heavy current draw.
1990 GXL, L33 swap and 8.8 independent rear in progress.
Ongoing build thread: http://www.norotors.com/index.php?topic=2916.0

Offline thetastelingers

« Reply #11 on: February 14, 2011, 11:24:50 AM »
Yea more pics would be great.  Also, what year model Mr2?  They've made em since 85.  And what year f250 for the hose?  Is there only 1 PS hose on the truck or is a specific one?  What's the deal on the adjustment screw?

How are you wiring and mounting the pump?

Also, why aren't more people doing this?  Seems like a simple solution.

I will keep a lookout too.
Very interested.
Any updates on how it performs?
wazzaaaaaaaaaaaapppppp!

Offline mpcv2000

« Reply #12 on: February 14, 2011, 04:26:19 PM »
Very interested to know more about it too.
Do we need a cooler ?
I want to do that on my LT1 FC , I really like the clean looking front motor view. :drive:
Martin !

Offline ablake211

« Reply #13 on: February 18, 2011, 03:29:54 PM »
Someone get danzan in here. I want answers!

Offline Jordan Innovations

• Supporting Member
  • Top Fuel
  • Competition Mil-spec wiring/electronics since 2005
  • View Gallery
    • View Profile
    • Jordan Innovations
« Reply #14 on: February 18, 2011, 03:53:49 PM »
I've used the MR2 Electro-hydraulic setup in quite a few cars.

You need a large relay/solenoid to control amp flow, it peaks around 80amps and can regularly hit 60amps.  Since it's normally open (not activated) you can get away with a cheap starter solenoid/etc, which is basically what Toyota uses.  I use a Hella 85A relay for racing applications since the pump is on pretty much continuously at the track (lugging around 12" fronts with 315-series R888's in one Unlimited FWD application).

The plumbing is just like any power steering pump - you have a high pressure line coming out that can use banjo's or go AN.  If you have a cooler you'd put it between the rack (low pressure side) and the reservoir.

The stock MR2 setup uses steering wheel angle sensors, wheel speed sensors, and something else together in a computer to determine exactly how much steering assist you get - this is what EPS (electric power steering) systems like the NSX, S2000, and someone's Cobalt do as well, but without the hydraulic aspect.  When you transplant the MR2 pump into another car without those sensors the only adjustment you have is the pressure bleed screw... but that's fine!  That's just like putting a restrictor on a standard belt-driven hydraulic pump. 

Setup works great, is heavy but you can locate it inboard/rearwards for better distribution (my guys put it on the passenger side behind the firewall mostly), and fairly simple.  That being said, the stock LS-series pump with integrated reservoir is nice too, and stands up to quite a bit of abuse.