April 25, 2024, 10:39:35 PM

Author Topic: AC compressor sandwich adapter  (Read 27364 times)

Offline halfspec

Re: AC compressor sandwich adapter
« Reply #60 on: March 27, 2014, 08:53:57 AM »
My 5th gen camaro ls3 compressor is identical to wickedrx7s along with electrical connector just for the record.

Thank you Quinn

I got the block yesterday. I'm very hopeful. It's very well made and very low profile. The seals I purchased fit perfectly. All that's left is a mock up. I'm sending it to wickedrx7 via USPS Priority today. With any luck he'll have it by Saturday and we'll have our answer.

Lane

Offline quinns

« Reply #61 on: March 27, 2014, 04:47:20 PM »
I don't want to steal your thunder with a big unveiling... It fits perfect though. I'll hopefully be hooking my lines into it tonight once I get my engine harness installed.

1993 Rx-7 Base LS3 TR6060 Ronin 8.8
1997.5 Hummer H1
2006 Hummer H2 SUT

Offline halfspec

« Reply #62 on: March 27, 2014, 04:52:26 PM »
Quinn

No worries man! That's awesome news! I'm sure this will make a lot of folks happy.

I'll still wait to get wicked's feedback on the fittings I want to use but your word and pictures is good enough for me to know I can use this as a solution for making LS2/LS3 lines for people waiting for them  :cheers:

Lane

Offline quinns

« Reply #63 on: March 27, 2014, 05:30:44 PM »
I have straights and 45's I don't think a 90 would work good down in there. I guess I'll see later. Wiring a motor nicely with it in the car is considerably more difficult than when its out of the car, see if I even get to the ac line tonight.
1997.5 Hummer H1
2006 Hummer H2 SUT

Offline quinns

« Reply #64 on: March 28, 2014, 01:08:28 AM »
I finished plumbing it tonight. Still going to take the lines off and put some heat shield on them but it should work. I'd have ran the high pressure line underneath the radiator to pressure tank hose if I ever redid it but I'm happy with how it turned out for now.

I ran a 45 on the high pressure side to connect to the compressor and a straight fitting to connect to the low side. The straight fitting gets pretty close to some bolts on the ac compressor but it does clear. It would be nice if a guy could use a 90 and come up behind the heater hoses on the high side but I don't think it will be sharp enough unless you went with a tighter bend. A 45 on the low pressure side sends the line straight into the heater hoses.

PS: If Lane will make you lines. DON'T BOTHER MAKING THEM YOURSELF! What a pain in the hole. AC parts suppliers have to be the biggest idiots I've ever seen. I was sent a 90 TWICE when I ordered a 45. When I called them they basically told me too bad and they'll ship me the right fitting for another 12 dollars by the time I paid shipping. Had to order from about 4 different suppliers to get everything I wanted all at once because they were constantly out of stock. Was sent the wrong dryer the first time. Second time the dryer has got the right fittings and seems right but no mounting provisions so I said screw it and made a bracket and hose clamped it to it. It works but just another thing. Not to mention all the cuts on my hands from putting on and taking off lines multiple times making sure they're the right length. The aluminum mounting on the samberg rad is sharp as hell by the condensor connections so careful with your digits. The pressure switch, the pigtail for the pressure switch, the wiring. Fuck it not worth it, order from halfspec.

/rant off
 :gruffy: :gruffy: :gruffy:
1997.5 Hummer H1
2006 Hummer H2 SUT

Offline halfspec

« Reply #65 on: March 28, 2014, 08:19:06 AM »
Quinn

Thanks again for the information. You've given me and everyone else following this thread a lot of good information. I did send Wicked two 90 degree fittings so we'll see if the low side 90 is tight enough to fit through that opening between the headers and the heater inlet/outlet. Other than that, I'm happy with the way you did it. I have never tried to route the condenser inlet hose under the samberg radiator since it would then become the lowest point under the front of the car. I think going over the top is the safest way to do it.

Haha! Oh man, that takes me back. Building your first line is definitely the hardest. Imagine what it was like without guidelines ;) It does get easier, but you can imagine how hard it is to make lines for custom setups over the internet.

Thank you for the recommendation and information :cheers:

Lane

Offline quinns

« Reply #66 on: March 28, 2014, 08:07:35 PM »
I don't mean right underneath haha. I was sleepy when I typed that up and not thinking that I can take the line off and run it underneath where I was thinking. DURRRR. Thanks for your write up, if I had to figure out all those sizes myself I'd likely have totally lost my mind.
1997.5 Hummer H1
2006 Hummer H2 SUT

Offline halfspec

« Reply #67 on: April 09, 2014, 02:40:30 PM »
Well. we may have another player guys.

I have started connecting some dots starting with the differing electrical connector and now a block adapter difference.

The LS3 CTS-V accessory compressor is NOT compatible with the Camaro LS3 accessory compressor block listed in this thread. I believe the CTS-V compressor is going to require something like this:

It came from this thread:
http://www.chevelles.com/forums/archive/index.php/t-369097.html

The guy that's using it noted that the adapters came from docs blocks which is now starkmfg. Their historical offering can be seen here:

http://www.starkmfg.com/EngineeringReference/Section.aspx?id=14

The needed parts are  AA2209 and  AA2210. Unfortunately starkmfg will only sell in bulk quantities of $5k or more. That's bad enough that it's a very hard option for me to afford.

My one saving grace I have is that I have a good AC guy that helps me source my fittings. I've never inquired about compressor blocks before because he's never mentioned that he deals with them, but I asked about the fittings above. I'm hoping he knows somewhere where I can get some old docs blocks stock. If that's the case then I'll be able to do something. If not some of you many be faced with the decision to wait for a solution or swap to a camaro LS1/LS3 compressor. 

That's just to say I'm open to suggestions. Anyone know where I can get adapters like the ones shown above?

Lane

Offline VITOMAN1977

Temp 1
« Reply #69 on: April 21, 2014, 04:13:28 PM »
I have a CTS-V compressor and the block that Lane offers will obviously not work.    Here is what I did in order to help make his lines work.  Lane agrees it will work as well, but we need measurements first.   

I ordered new a/c lines from GM, part number 22752063 and 15261845, they already include the o rings.  You'll then need 2 bolts to hold those lines in the compressor, GM part number 11516424.   I'm waiting on the bolts.  You can buy new or source used a/c lines off a cts-v.

Once i have those mounted in, I will send a photo of the lines bolted to the compressor and Lane will help me figure out where the best place to cut the lines so I can have somebody weld in 2 a/c braze-on fittings; 5/8" and 1/2"  AIO10 and AIOB08 respectively.  These are found at www.autoacfittings.com.   

The other option is a 2011/2012 Camaro SS a/c compressor, but I'm not sure if it'll work with the CTS-V accessory drive.

There is a company that does offer the 90* bend cts-v block adapter, but they require a $5K buy in.  It's not an option for me.

I will get with Lane once all the photos are done with the lines in and he will update you on the progress and course of action.  I'm sure he will chime in when he is back from vacation.

Offline Skeltic

Temp 3
« Reply #70 on: April 26, 2014, 03:18:12 PM »
[attachimg=3][attachimg=4]THis is what we want for the CTS-v compressor.
Unfortunately it has no part number so far an It is suppose to come with  the gmpp kit, or with the compressor
Here is my source http://forum.miata.net/vb/archive/index.php/t-413300.html
"You can sleep in your car, but you can't race your house."

Offline Skeltic

« Reply #71 on: April 26, 2014, 05:23:43 PM »
Small male end is 12mm large is 17mm
[attachimg=1][attachimg=2][attach=3][attachimg=3][attachimg=4][attachimg=5]
"You can sleep in your car, but you can't race your house."

Offline Donthitme

« Reply #72 on: May 22, 2014, 07:59:33 PM »
]http://coldhose.com/gm-5-3l-compressor-discharge-block-fitting-1497.html]

I dont think these will work with the CTSV, there is no lip on the fitting end.

« Last Edit: November 02, 2014, 09:52:53 PM by Donthitme »

Offline 95 Z28 LS3

« Reply #73 on: May 11, 2016, 02:06:04 AM »
I used this adapter on my project to solve the routing of the hoses on my Camaro. This adapter block is  for a CTSV Denso compressor and is low profile, clean, and beautiful when installed.

http://www.sikky.com/product/240sx-ls3-ac-adapter-block/

Offline halfspec

« Reply #74 on: May 11, 2016, 08:14:37 AM »
I used this adapter on my project to solve the routing of the hoses on my Camaro. This adapter block is  for a CTSV Denso compressor and is low profile, clean, and beautiful when installed.

Holy Cow! I knew sikky was proud of there stuff, but this takes the cake! That's > quadruple the price of similar adapters. Still, it's a rare option, so I for one than you for posting. I'll have to add it to my tutorials.

Any pictures of it on your Camaro?

Lane