May 14, 2024, 04:04:01 AM

Author Topic: Huge Market for LSX FD exhaust  (Read 16097 times)

Offline mattster03

Huge Market for LSX FD exhaust
« on: July 13, 2011, 02:44:08 PM »
I think I would be cool if someone would start fabricating exhaust for LSX FD swaps.  Currently the only option is Hinson and it's really nothing to get too excited about.  Ideally it would be a 2-piece exhaust; the front piece would connect the two headers with a  3-1/2" flange that is located in the OEM position so that any FD aftermarket catback can be used (such as racing beat, etc.) The second piece would be a catback that clears both the stock diff and an 8.8 setup that a customer could order with a standard muffler (such as magnaflow) or blank so that they can install their own choice.  Honestly I think that any future FD swapper would be willing to pay around $1000.00 shipped for a full exhaust... considering this is around what we pay for products such as headers or the samberg intake/radiator system.

The biggest issue you would run into is the difference in mounting kits.  I think the community is pretty much going the direction of Samberg subframes, so I would design it for that....

Thoughts?
Current Car: 1993 Mazda RX7 Touring, LS1/T56, Stock Stock Stock

1993 Mazda RX7 R1, LS1/T56, EPS 230/238, TSP Ported heads
10.826 @ 128 , 1.53 60' - SOLD

Feature Article - http://www.importmeet.com/blog/2012/03/29/best-of-both-worlds-v8rx7guys-ls1-swapped-1993-mazda-rx-7/
Swap Info - http://www.cardomain.com/ride/2801662

1986 Mazda RX7 GXL, LT1/T56 "Retired"
Swap Info - http://www.cardomain.com/ride/641869

Offline shakenbake

Re: Huge Market for LSX FD exhaust
« Reply #1 on: July 14, 2011, 06:59:03 AM »
I would like to see that if the price was right. Spoolin makes great headers. It would be nice to see a package. I really like using the RB Dual catback on my swaps. If a bolt on Y section was made to bolt right up that would be awesome!

Offline project dc2

« Reply #2 on: August 22, 2011, 11:16:08 AM »
sorry i havent checked the forum in a while. the problem with "bolt on" exhausts is they'd have to run my header. anything else the purchaser would probably need to modify to fit.

Offline mattster03

« Reply #3 on: August 22, 2011, 02:02:12 PM »
sorry i havent checked the forum in a while. the problem with "bolt on" exhausts is they'd have to run my header. anything else the purchaser would probably need to modify to fit.

No problem.  I agree... but you could also use that to your advantage.  You would probably sell more headers if a swapper knew there was a bolt-on exhaust that would work with them.  I think it's worth looking into... a $1200-$1500 header & exhaust combo for hinson & samberg mounting system would sell like crazy

Feature Article - http://www.importmeet.com/blog/2012/03/29/best-of-both-worlds-v8rx7guys-ls1-swapped-1993-mazda-rx-7/

Offline BeatTheTunaUp

« Reply #4 on: August 22, 2011, 02:13:38 PM »
I don't mean to be a debbie downer or anything, I just don't know how many potential customers are actually out there.  Most of the people already have spent the coin to have a functioning exhaust.  Why by another?  Your going to have to rely on new builds for customers.  With so many fd's converted already and the one's that aren't swapped belong to rotards.  IIRC only a little over 12k were shipped to the US from 93-95.   Not to mention all the wrecked cars.  The #'s are dwindling.  Now a long tube, true dual with x pipe setup may be appealing.  :drive:
93 FD money pit
15 Ram 1500 Sport 4x4
96 Dodge Ram 4X4  Truck I wanted in HS
98 Baja 192 Islander  5.7 vortec On the water

Offline mattster03

« Reply #5 on: August 22, 2011, 03:38:53 PM »
I don't mean to be a debbie downer or anything, I just don't know how many potential customers are actually out there.  Most of the people already have spent the coin to have a functioning exhaust.  Why by another?  Your going to have to rely on new builds for customers.  With so many fd's converted already and the one's that aren't swapped belong to rotards.  IIRC only a little over 12k were shipped to the US from 93-95.   Not to mention all the wrecked cars.  The #'s are dwindling.  Now a long tube, true dual with x pipe setup may be appealing.  :drive:

I was referring to future swappers... if Spoolin Performance found it to be worth the effort (aka enough interest & sales) to design headers, why wouldn't it be worth the effort to design a simple exhaust system to work with it? Samberg Rod and Custom felt there was a need for better quality mounting systems started making mounts a year or two ago and Justin seems to be doing awesome and there were already 2 other vendors making kits!  No one currently makes exhaust. By my estimation, there are at least 40-50 new FD swaps started each year and it's not slowing down any time soon.

Offline BrownBoy

« Reply #6 on: August 22, 2011, 06:30:02 PM »
The other added bonus about making FD headers is that they'll probably fit most other LS cars, wouldn't they?

A few test fits of current FD headers would answer that question really quick and that would widen your market right up.

Offline Sabre002

« Reply #7 on: August 22, 2011, 07:25:10 PM »
My thought is we need to get together and take a car to Kooks in Statesville NC.  They can make anything you want from SS headers to full SS exhaust.  I talked to them before about it and wanted to do it.  I was told they could price match the current long tubes and be SS.  Tony was a guy I was talking to there, but it comes down to they need a car to fab off of.  I'm willing to take my car but its not together right now.

Mike and I talked about it and all it would take is us bugging the shit out of kooks.  I will put it this way they make LS1 fox body swap headers.  I told the guys there the LS1 RX7 swap makes the fox bodies look like a one off custom car.  We have way more out there. 

Start calling and tell them we want headers and exhaust. 

141 Advantage Place • Statesville, NC 28677 1-866-586-KOOK
« Last Edit: August 22, 2011, 07:32:30 PM by Sabre002 »
Josh
Manager Business Development, Mazda Motorsports
For info on how to join the Mazda Motorsports Team Support Program Email me.
Jsmit295@mazdausa.com

Offline project dc2

« Reply #8 on: August 22, 2011, 10:08:51 PM »
The other added bonus about making FD headers is that they'll probably fit most other LS cars, wouldn't they?

A few test fits of current FD headers would answer that question really quick and that would widen your market right up.

well all of our headers fit the FD no problem.  but if someone bought hinson or JTR it'd make my exhust  null 

Offline Jordan Innovations

• Supporting Member
  • Top Fuel
  • Competition Mil-spec wiring/electronics since 2005
  • View Gallery
    • View Profile
    • Jordan Innovations
« Reply #9 on: August 23, 2011, 05:12:45 AM »
I've thought the exact same thing.  I think there's a market for max-effort (or at least higher-effort) headers for the FD community.  Stamped collectors are fine and all for most people, but there are so many people running around with VERY similar setups that making a truly IDEAL set of Tri-Y's would be a worthwhile move IMO.  I'll play with the numbers, but at 1 3/4" I think the exits may be compatible with JTR's.  At 1 7/8" I think I'll need to be too long, but maybe that's ok too?

I'm a wholesale distributor for LG Motorsports and have handled all of their headers, and compared to the stuff we use, it's on the HNL... and that's just high-end production stuff, not even custom.

Luke @ Blu808 is going to partner with me on this to handle the fab, I just have to crunch the numbers for the most common setup (LS1 or LS2 displacement, LS2/LS6 intake manifold, 23x/23x XFI/XER cam, 7000rpm redline).  We'll get a set made, match it to my already-max-effort exhaust, and see how much power we pick up from the JTR's.

No problem.  I agree... but you could also use that to your advantage.  You would probably sell more headers if a swapper knew there was a bolt-on exhaust that would work with them.  I think it's worth looking into... a $1200-$1500 header & exhaust combo for hinson & samberg mounting system would sell like crazy

That's my target price point, on the high end.  I love the fact that EVERYONE's willing to pay $1000 for FD swap headers, but the truth of the matter is it costs less than half that to make them.  The rest of the exhaust varies by number of clamps and muffler choice, but I plan on offering two choices - one like mine with tiny mufflers tucked above the frame rail in the trans hump and just two large pipes out back, and another with a 2-into-2 muffler in the middle and another muffler out back for the street-conscious.

Yes and no, we have an interesting firewall and steering shaft position.  I think on most cars, FD headers would try and go straight into the bottom of the firewall or into the shaft, but it's possible I'm way off on that.  I have S-chassis swap headers, Corvette headers, and FD headers at the shop, I should play with them.

Offline mattster03

« Reply #10 on: August 23, 2011, 12:44:55 PM »
My thought is we need to get together and take a car to Kooks in Statesville NC.  They can make anything you want from SS headers to full SS exhaust.  I talked to them before about it and wanted to do it.  I was told they could price match the current long tubes and be SS.  Tony was a guy I was talking to there, but it comes down to they need a car to fab off of.  I'm willing to take my car but its not together right now.

Mike and I talked about it and all it would take is us bugging the shit out of kooks.  I will put it this way they make LS1 fox body swap headers.  I told the guys there the LS1 RX7 swap makes the fox bodies look like a one off custom car.  We have way more out there. 

Start calling and tell them we want headers and exhaust. 

141 Advantage Place • Statesville, NC 28677 1-866-586-KOOK

I contacted Kooks at one point or another, but I ran into the same issue that I couldn't get a car out there... plus I used Granny's kit which is useless these days as 95% of the FD swaps are Hinson or Samberg.  I really think there is a market as FD's continue to get swapped... I think Spoolin' is lined up to make some good money if they choose to

Offline shakenbake

« Reply #11 on: August 23, 2011, 10:04:54 PM »
All we really need is a Y-pipe to go from the headers to a FD cat back. That would work for most swappers. I know I prefer to use the RB dual exhaust on my builds.

Offline rajeevx7

• Pre-Staging
  • FD owner since 1998. V8FD owner since 2010
  • View Gallery
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: September 04, 2011, 12:18:27 AM »
Sign me up!

I bought Spoolin headers because of the options for the price. Tradeoffs were made, but it seemed better in the long run. One thing anyone can be sure of as a consumer, is that if you have thought it, so have lots of others! I heavily considered the Hinson mid-length system because it was complete.
If Spoolin had a complete system, it would have been no contest.

I have a Hinson kit and stock location catback. Connect the pieces and I'm sold.

Everyone that begins a swap is IN the market for a full exhaust. What a void!
'93 BB R1 Ls6 - 2001-2023
'93 MB Touring 13b-Rew - 1998-2001

Offline Sabre002

« Reply #13 on: September 04, 2011, 10:58:13 AM »
well looks like I will have to take my car to them for mock up if we want kooks to jump in.  I still want SS long tubes and SS exhaust all the way back.
Josh
Manager Business Development, Mazda Motorsports
For info on how to join the Mazda Motorsports Team Support Program Email me.
Jsmit295@mazdausa.com

Offline radiomike

« Reply #14 on: September 04, 2011, 02:24:30 PM »
well looks like I will have to take my car to them for mock up if we want kooks to jump in.  I still want SS long tubes and SS exhaust all the way back.

Don't forget to tell them about your country cousins in the UK/Aus with RHD when they spec the R/H headers ;)