April 25, 2024, 09:38:27 PM

Author Topic: RHD 99 FD LS3 TR6060 build  (Read 46224 times)

Offline 4packet

RHD 99 FD LS3 TR6060 build
« on: January 12, 2012, 01:33:47 PM »
Have been working on this for a while in the UK, but thought it worth starting a thread if people are interested. Car is being built by ‘radiomike’ on here and myself as a road car with trackdays and trips to the Nurburgring in mind. Have been running a Supra TT for the last 6 years so this will be the replacement. Will keep the updates coming as and when I have the time

Spec will be:

RHD 99 FD car in innocent blue (base car is a stock auto)
2010 Camaro drivetrain with LS3 and TR6060
Samberg subframes and radiator
Cobra rear end
LS1 Corvette FPR above axle
Supra Denso fuel pump
Spa dual gauges mounted in cluster
Air Con
Stoptech Front BBK
RS 314mm Rear Brakes
Ohlins DFV
Mazda Recaro Kevlar seats
Internal AP clutch master
Mazda oil coolers adapted for engine and trans with Setrab PS cooler
MGW shifter
Odyssey ER40 rear mounted battery

Purchase day. Car was a runner with no real issues but had been dry stored for a couple of years, hence the trailer. The owner's friend took care of the sale as he hadn't told his wife about it and had it hidden away from her!

[attachimg=1]

[attachimg=2]

Had the engine compression checked (OK) so it could be sold on and started scattering the parts around the garden.

[attachimg=3]

[attachimg=4]

Engine and box out and the bay looking empty

[attachimg=5]

[attachimg=6]

Next up was getting the car out of the way and the rear axle out

[attachimg=7]

[attachimg=8]

Got it balanced on the stands. Worrying how thin the metal is on the chassis. Used wood and carpet to soften the load on the seams. Got the girlfriend to assist getting the chassis clean and sprayed the underneath with black Waxoyl. Have opened all the bungs to the internal box sections and sprayed them using an extension pipe. 4.5l of clear and black so far.

[attachimg=9]

[attachimg=10]
« Last Edit: December 05, 2012, 01:14:47 PM by 4packet »

Offline 4packet

Re: RHD 99 FD LS3 TR6060 build
« Reply #1 on: January 12, 2012, 01:40:58 PM »
Opened up the fuel tank, used a hand pump to drain it down and then mopped up the sediment with rags. Looked really clean and was pleased to find the later cars have a lid over the collector. We'll see how god it is on the track. Never had a problem with the Supra on Pirelli Corsas, but have heard the RX7 is vulnerable to left hand corners. Stock hanger pictured has had a new Supra Denso fuel pump fitted. Same housing as the RX7 made it a simple and neat install.

[attachimg=1]

[attachimg=2]
« Last Edit: January 30, 2012, 09:52:56 AM by 4packet »

Offline digitalsolo

« Reply #2 on: January 12, 2012, 06:38:07 PM »
Nice looking car you've got there.
Blake MF'ing McBride
1988 Mazda RX7 - Turbo LS1/T56/ProEFI/8.8/Not Slow...   sold.
1965 Mustang Coupe - TT Coyote, TR6060, modern brakes/suspension...
2007 Aston Martin V8 Vantage - Gen V LT4/TR6060, upper/lower pullies, headers, tune.
2021 Tesla Model 3 Performance - Stock...ish.

Offline RX7what

« Reply #3 on: January 12, 2012, 09:47:56 PM »
Love IBM on RX7's. Keep the pics coming.
PER AUDACIA AD ASTRA
95 FD #496/499 LS2   http://www.norotors.com/index.php?topic=4789.0

Norotors is far and away the best car forum on the Internet, bar none.

Offline 4packet

« Reply #4 on: January 13, 2012, 05:04:42 AM »
Thanks guys.

Rear subframe was stripped and sent away to be bead blasted and black primered. The Samberg subframe kit arrived and everything was trial fitted before being powder coated. There was some confusion as to whether the black primer was OK to powder coat over the top, but it turned out great in the end. We noticed a few areas on the front subframe that would act as water traps. Living in England this is an important detail, so drain holes were drilled in the boxes (not the tubing) and the valleys filled with Waxoyl.

[attachimg=1]

[attachimg=2]

[attachimg=3]

[attachimg=4]

[attachimg=5]
« Last Edit: January 13, 2012, 06:19:12 AM by 4packet »

Offline moores.4

« Reply #5 on: January 13, 2012, 05:59:21 AM »
Looks good  :) you are making me anxious now to get started on mine, all my Samberg goodies turned up this week I have to say he is awesome to deal with all my parts only took a week to get to Australia and the quality of the work is outstanding. Please keep sending the build pics as I have learnt so much and enjoy seeing the progress, keep up the good work.

Offline 4packet

« Reply #6 on: January 13, 2012, 06:01:15 AM »
The original intention was to keep the stock diff as our base car was already an auto with the 3.9. The more we read about converted cars using the 3.9 ratio the more we were convinced that the Cobra diff was the way forward. With the torque of the LS3 it made little sense to be stuck with a heavy gearbox that needed lots of gear changes. The TR6060 6th gear is spaced a long way from 5th so it made sense to reserve this for cruising and use the box like a 5th speed on track. The Supra hits about 155mph at the Nurburgring with 400bhp and the 3.55 Cobra ratio should be good for around 170mph flat out in 5th – perfect! We’ll see……

Images of exploded Mazda differentials was also a concern. It would have been cheaper in parts to just replace on failure, but the thought of the diff exploding 1000 miles from home at the Nurburgring convinced us otherwise. It’s 180Euros to be towed off the ‘ring, they charge you heavily for oil that you spill on the track, for the marshal time and even the admin for printing an invoice! Ignoring the finances, I often borrow my pals Kawasaki for a few laps, so am pretty sensitive to oil spills on the road and track. One slip can be pretty catastrophic at the ‘ring.

Anyway we found a new/unused Cobra 3.55 diff for sale on ebay.com. The seller was amazingly helpful and bought some low mileage axles locally for us, split the inner CV’s off and sold them on at cost. This kind of stuff is difficult for us to purchase from the UK.

[attachimg=1]

Dad got a nice surprise when he pullled the rear cover off on the bench. It was filled with preserving fluid - you can guess the outcome!

Got the rear cover machined and welded locally

[attachimg=2]

Fully mounted with poly bushes.

[attachimg=3]
« Last Edit: January 13, 2012, 06:14:16 AM by 4packet »

Offline ukv8fd

« Reply #7 on: January 13, 2012, 07:19:23 AM »
Hi nice to see another UKer, what are your plans re exhausts? I'm guessing you will need CATs due to the year of the fd?

Should be a really nice clean car when it's finished.

Offline 4packet

« Reply #8 on: January 13, 2012, 08:23:56 AM »
Not sure about exhaust yet. Looks like we'll stick with the LS3 cast manifolds unless we're convinced otherwise. Will see how the Cats package once the gearbox is permanently mounted. Cost/heat/package space vs finding a friendly MOT tester each year. Want to keep good ground clearance so will look into dual pipes at the rear of the car to clear the Cobra brace. Must be under track noise regs to.

Am I right in thinking your car is black and was at Brighton speed trials last year? Someone on FDUK took a snap of one.

Offline ukv8fd

« Reply #9 on: January 13, 2012, 09:11:58 AM »
No mine is white and doesn't get out much these days as I'm tied up renovating our house for a change. 

Offline 4packet

« Reply #10 on: January 13, 2012, 09:20:08 AM »
Started to strip the interior out and look at the wiring. Discovered at this point that the later 99 onwards cars are wired differently. The ECM has 3 not 4 plugs and the way that the engine and body harness interface is different. There are also subtle changes with the way other plugs are configured and wires have changed colour. All the wiring resource I have found so far is for a 94 LHD car. This makes it very confusing trying to relate this to ours.

[attachimg=1]

In the mean time we removed the redundant chassis rail brackets with a grinder and the engine bay partially painted. Nothing fancy like some of the build I’ve seen on here.

[attachimg=3]

Purchased a short AP master cylinder with the intention of fitting this inside the clutch pedal housing. Us RHD guys suffer with a clash between a conventionally mounted MC and the V8 cylinder head. Common solution is to package the MC half in and half out of the firewall, but this makes it difficult to seal the gap.

[attachimg=4]

Dad has to take the credit for this. Initially he considered a torsion rod linkage system that would move the MC outboard but still in the engine bay. An early mock up proved it was possible, but the shape of the firewall makes it more complicated.

[attachimg=2]

Offline 4packet

« Reply #11 on: January 13, 2012, 09:35:59 AM »
This gives a clear picture of what connectors a 99 spec engine bay harness has. If anyone has a 99 spec wiring schematic please let me know! I know the only official ones were in Japanese. Have been tracing a lot of wires from the cluster (different layout to the earlier cars) and then following them through etc. For instance the oil light seems to be where the MIL is as the later cars have a boost gauge instead of an oil gauge.

[attachimg=1]

Interior properly removed. Need to finish cutting out an aftermarket alarm, but otherwise the car is stock and unmolested which is unusual and very welcome. Have been investigating what type of sound/heat insulation material to use. At the moment I think some 12mm (will this fit?) thick closed cell foam over the tunnel and possibly the footwells.

[attachimg=2]

Bit more work on the MC installation. This gives an idea of how it could work. A cut on the side to allow one of the mounting flanges to protrude, some material on the firewall side to allow the MC outlet to protrude and also a bit of clearance on the top for the inlet. It’s not functional at this stage as the pedal lever hits the MC body at less than full displacement.

[attachimg=3]

Offline 4packet

« Reply #12 on: January 13, 2012, 09:49:48 AM »
No mine is white and doesn't get out much these days as I'm tied up renovating our house for a change.

Dammit they're everywhere! Thought it fair to credit you with the above clutch MC suggestion btw. The AP seemed like the shortest available and the offset mouting flange helped also. Thanks!

Offline 4packet

« Reply #13 on: January 18, 2012, 09:22:39 AM »
Finally, after what seemed like an eternity the engine arrived. From agreeing to the purchase to receiving it was about 2 months! It was well packaged in a completely closed in crate.

[attachimg=1]

Unwrapped 2010 Camaro LS3 TR6060 drivetrain

[attachimg=2]

Our original plan was to see if the Camaro oil pan could be modified to work with the Samberg subframe. This would have allowed us to retain the OEM oil to water cooler mounted on the LHS. We knew the pan would be too deep, but hadn’t been able to assess if the front of the well would miss the Samberg cross bar or how low the oil filter and cooler would sit. Alas, initial fitment quickly scrapped this idea and an LS1 oil pan was ordered. More waiting…….

Offline 4packet

« Reply #14 on: January 18, 2012, 09:31:16 AM »
Once the oil pan, pick up tube and windage tray arrived from Nook and Tranny the Samberg subframe with RHD steering rack was offered up with the drivetrain hanging on the engine crane. The main issue was the AC compressor interfering with one of the steering rack pipes. I can’t find a picture at this point, but the contact is at the back of the AC compressor housing. At this point the AC assembly was simply removed awaiting inspiration.

This image shows the offending pipe on the PS rack. The engine is not aligned correctly with the Samberg subframe at this stage.

[attachimg=1]

The TR6060 is equipped with an oil pump and cooler lines that would have run up to the Camaro radiator. We intend to utilise the OEM hard lines and use flexible hose to connect to the Mazda transmission cooler on the RHS (auto model). Still to resolve how to make the connections between the hose, cooler and GM hard lines with quick connect ends. The hard line routing had to be modified quite considerably to navigate around the Samberg subframe and Mazda rack as well as increasing the installation height. The LS1 oil pan is considerably shallower, which left the cooler hard lines as the lowest point. 

[attachimg=2]

[attachimg=3]

The OEM cooler bracket has been modified to fit under one of the oil pan bolts. The LS3 oil pan has extra cast bosses for mounting things from. The pipes currently have an OEM bend toward the centre of the car. The intention is to bend both pipes close to the bracket outward so they terminate facing directly forward.

[attachimg=4]

[attachimg=5]     
« Last Edit: January 18, 2012, 09:38:44 AM by 4packet »