June 17, 2024, 08:41:40 PM

Author Topic: how to reduce pressure for power steering for fd  (Read 21396 times)

Offline Demon

Re: how to reduce pressure for power steering for fd
« Reply #15 on: March 01, 2011, 03:29:42 PM »
Never knew that about the rack stops, cool.

+1 on the turn one pump + Gibbs fluid, works great in our car.

Ever notice how your passenger car's power steering groans when it is at full lock? A drifter is doing that while spinning the engine near redline... so you can see why it builds heat so quickly.

Yea, it made perfect sense after the post, I just never thought about it.
'93 RX7 (co-project with macnewma)
'95 Supra Turbo Billet GT42-76

Offline Jordan Innovations

• Supporting Member
  • Top Fuel
  • Competition Mil-spec wiring/electronics since 2005
  • View Gallery
    • View Profile
    • Jordan Innovations
« Reply #16 on: March 01, 2011, 03:35:49 PM »
Link doesn't work man.
I sent them an email.
Thanks

Yeah the period at the end of the hyperlink messed it up.

Thats because they are holding the car on the steering stops most of the time. That kind of heat from that kind of use is to be expected. A more interesting question is if you see a lot of PS failures in drifting because it is a lot of heat for a very short time?

Unless you are doing autoX not having PS is perfectly liveable for track days with R compounds. If I was doing enduro racing with the car I would consider it.
Your pump needs a max pressure relief valve, it's getting "dead headed" at the end of the rack travel.

If you haven't seen a Formula D car in the last 4 years, you'd think so.  Amateurs without knuckle mods and with street tires don't have P/s heat problems.

The reality is, it's a combination of the knuckle ratios giving the cars twice the steering angle that they used to have (with the same power steering pressure helping the rack get there - you need 50+* to be competitive nowdays), incredible steering speed demands (literally throwing the wheel from near one lock to the other), and the very sticky tires (front R-compound tires are bubbled in two runs, we generally keep them on for half a day).  The guys that I'm mentioning with rotted dipsticks have so much max angle that they're rarely holding it at the stops ~ 1sec at a time tops. 

Offline Bowtie7

« Reply #17 on: March 01, 2011, 08:15:15 PM »
Another option is to swap on a LS1-GTO pump which has nearly identical pressures as the Mazda unit...

I have run both, actually have the GTO pump on my car right now and am going back to the Turn One for sure. Feel and feedback is better. The GTO pump is a good piece and it has a decent feel to it but I prefer the Turn One. Will be selling the GTO pump when I pull it.
I do love what I do!

Offline onlysnlft

« Reply #18 on: March 02, 2011, 05:52:39 PM »
can someone break it down shotgun style on how to install the turn one fitting? is it hard to get too? do i have to lift the car up? so on. thanks
dan 8)

• Supporting Member
  • Top Fuel
  • View Gallery
    • View Profile
    • Jordan Innovations
« Reply #19 on: March 03, 2011, 02:13:57 AM »
can someone break it down shotgun style on how to install the turn one fitting? is it hard to get too? do i have to lift the car up? so on. thanks

It's pretty damned easy, you remove the stock nut fitting (large, 20+mm if I recall) with a wrench and thread in the Turn One fitting.  Then connect your -6an high pressure conversion line that you bought/made and take 'er down to the rack.

I did it with the pump out of the car, but I'd assume you could do it pretty easily with the pump on the car.  No need to lift the car.

Offline Andrew R

• Supporting Member
  • Launching!
  • Superunnatural
  • View Gallery
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: March 03, 2011, 07:28:11 AM »

It's pretty damned easy, you remove the stock nut fitting (large, 20+mm if I recall) with a wrench and thread in the Turn One fitting.  Then connect your -6an high pressure conversion line that you bought/made and take 'er down to the rack.

I did it with the pump out of the car, but I'd assume you could do it pretty easily with the pump on the car.  No need to lift the car.

Yeah it's a 22mm fitting on the side of the pump -can easily be done on the car (I have a Turn one pump)

Offline josh18_2k

« Reply #21 on: March 03, 2011, 08:56:24 PM »
dumb question #6 - im using an fbody pump with stock fbody line mated to FC line...  does turnone make a fitting for oem?
meat is neat

Offline onlysnlft

« Reply #22 on: March 06, 2011, 05:17:28 AM »
ok guys just got my fitting from turn one today and not really sure if this is going to work. havent tried it yet but the fitting looks way to long to fit into the housing for the powersteering pump. please let me know if this looks right? im going to call turn one monday to double check.

you can see that in the last pic the fitting has a o-ring and well it looks way to long to fit. well i guess the question i wanted to ask is for the guys who have done this does this fitting look rigt? when i recieved it, it didnt have a part number or anything for me to check. thanks
dan 8)

Offline onlysnlft

« Reply #23 on: March 06, 2011, 05:20:06 AM »

oops didnt see this. so ill have to get a new/custom high pressure line as well?
dan 8)

• Supporting Member
  • Top Fuel
  • View Gallery
    • View Profile
    • Jordan Innovations
« Reply #24 on: March 06, 2011, 05:35:50 PM »
Onlysnlft, that's a different fitting than what I got, but then again, I told him I wanted to run a -6an high pressure line.

The fitting that I got looked like this:

It looks like you already have a -6an hp line, so you would want that fitting as well... the fitting you have looks like a pressure reduction fitting that's meant to be used with stock GM lines/fittings.  Call Turn One!

Offline willcoop

« Reply #25 on: March 06, 2011, 08:49:16 PM »
ok guys just got my fitting from turn one today and not really sure if this is going to work. havent tried it yet but the fitting looks way to long to fit into the housing for the powersteering pump. please let me know if this looks right? im going to call turn one monday to double check.

you can see that in the last pic the fitting has a o-ring and well it looks way to long to fit. well i guess the question i wanted to ask is for the guys who have done this does this fitting look rigt? when i recieved it, it didnt have a part number or anything for me to check. thanks

I am pretty sure that mine looked just like that so you should be fine.

Offline willcoop

« Reply #26 on: March 06, 2011, 08:51:15 PM »
dumb question #6 - im using an fbody pump with stock fbody line mated to FC line...  does turnone make a fitting for oem?

Yes they do I have one of their fittings and it looks just like the stock one just with a smaller hole to reduce the flow.

Offline onlysnlft

« Reply #27 on: March 07, 2011, 03:19:49 AM »
so you guys got 2/3 of that fitting into the powersteering pump, all the way to the o-ring? well i guess then ill just have to do it. thanks guys :cheers:
dan 8)

Offline onlysnlft

« Reply #28 on: March 14, 2011, 04:34:55 AM »
ok guys quick update and its a miss. ill have to call turn one in the morning but as you can see in the pic it wont even go in far enough to thread. it doesnt even look like the one jordan is talking about will fit. i hope i can get this fixed. if anyone has any ideas please chime in.

i wonder if it makes a difference if i try the rack side? if it does go in on the rack side does it make a difference?
dan 8)

Offline Chigliakus

• Staged
  • '09 STi grocery getter -- '93 FD LS1/T56 money pit
  • View Gallery
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: March 14, 2011, 05:08:34 PM »
Rack-side is a banjo fitting, not sure how that would work...  Can you call turn one and ask them for help?