April 30, 2024, 04:20:08 AM

Author Topic: New Door Lock Dust Shutter Kits  (Read 3912 times)

Offline jza80

New Door Lock Dust Shutter Kits
« on: April 17, 2020, 12:56:33 PM »
Hey guys, I have been offering these to the rotary FD community on the other RX7 forum for a while with many satisfied customers and just thought I would post here too since the same issues with crumbling plastic door lock cover plates ("dust shutters") does not discriminate based on whether there is a rotary or piston engine in the FD...

The kits includes a black finisher plates, new clean, white, plastic OEM type shutter pieces, and new springs. This will give you all the parts needed to rebuild the door lock outer dust shutters in an FD door locks. In case you are wondering, the dust shutter is the part that flips in as you insert the key in the door lock. The FD dust shutter is white plastic on both doors, presumably because Mazda included a door lock illumination lamp in the driver side door lock and the white shutter will illuminate when the lamp is on.

Because the shutter itself is plastic, it degrades over time from exposure to the sun, etc. eventually turning yellow/brown and finally crumbling into bits and falling into the door lock mechanism. When this happens, you can pick out the bits but then your door lock will be open to the elements and you then have to deal with the missing shutter. Mazda never sold the dust shutters by themselves however up until a couple of years ago new lock assemblies were available, they were $$ but at least there was that option if the shutter had failed. New locks are NLA now. This kit rectifies that problem. You can rebuild your door locks with a nice white OEM plastic shutter plate, a new spring (if you have lost the original) and a fresh black fascia plate to replace the scratched up original. If your car still has original dust shutters, they are probably pretty beat up by now if they even are still there at all.

FD's came with two styles of door lock finisher plate, chrome and black. My car originally had chrome, most seem to have used black. Unfortunately, the chrome shutter kits are NLA now, only the black style is available. However, if you have a chrome finisher plate and need a new shutter this kit will still work as the shutter and spring are exactly the same, and the finisher plate is also identical except for black versus chrome. The original chrome finisher, even if scratched or rusted, can usually be restored with chrome polish - so it is still possible to rebuild chrome style lock using the original finisher plate. Or, an originally chrome plate-equipped FD can be fitted with black fascia plates - the parts are the same except for finish.

A pair of kits is $24, one kit per door lock (i.e. two kits per car). Shipping via USPS with tracking is $6 per order conus.  International postage cost varies, usually $15-18 for a First Class mail package. Shipping is weight-based, so about 10 kits can be shipped for the same cost. More than that, a different package is needed and cost goes up slightly.

Here are some images of the parts included in the kit, and a nice Montego Blue FD with kit installed installed...

Please pm me if interested.  Thanks!

Offline wickedrx7

Re: New Door Lock Dust Shutter Kits
« Reply #1 on: April 17, 2020, 01:34:56 PM »
I can vouch for this product, put them in over the winter. Buy with confidence!

1993 Touring, 2012 L99, T-56, Ronnin 8.8, Ohlins, Speedhut, Samberg and lots of custom parts
Build Thread - http://www.norotors.com/index.php?topic=19354.0
Pictures - www.flikr.com/wickedrx7

Offline blacksi

« Reply #2 on: April 17, 2020, 08:09:56 PM »
So crazy, I literally walked out of the grocery store today and as I put my key in I noticed how faded my plastic was around the hole!  crazy because I haven't logged in for a while.

PM coming soon.

Offline DDv8

« Reply #3 on: April 21, 2020, 11:05:51 PM »
Could you measure the shutter and spring?  These look like they will fit an FC also.  Finisher plate tabs at 3-9 for FC so different from FD

[attach=1]

DD
86fc old school 327, T5, converting to 8.8 tbird

Offline jza80

« Reply #4 on: April 22, 2020, 11:45:56 AM »
Will do.

Offline jza80

« Reply #5 on: April 22, 2020, 11:46:49 AM »
I can vouch for this product, put them in over the winter. Buy with confidence!

Thank you for the post!  I'm glad these worked out for you.

Offline jza80

« Reply #6 on: April 24, 2020, 03:39:56 PM »
Could you measure the shutter and spring?  These look like they will fit an FC also.  Finisher plate tabs at 3-9 for FC so different from FD

[attach=1]

DD

Here you go, this is within about 0.1mm or so precision:

A: 17mm
B: 6mm
C: 13mm
D: 4.5mm
E: 3mm

Thanks.

Offline jza80

« Reply #7 on: April 24, 2020, 03:40:53 PM »
In the past, there were some questions about how to remove the locks and fit new parts. It is very simple to do. Here is a very brief explanation:

1. Disconnect the car battery. The circuit to the driver side door lock illumination lamp becomes live when either door is opened, and remains live for about 10-15 sec after the door is closed. If the lamp wires are shorted to ground you might damage CPU #2, and you don't want to do that!

2. Remove the inside door triangle to expose the key lock and door handle assembly bolts

3. Unclip the rods attaching the latch and lock mechanisms to the door handle assembly (be gentle with the plastic clips)

4. Remove the 6mm nuts attaching the door handle assembly

5. Remove the spring clip that fastens the door lock barrel to the door handle assembly. Remove the barrel.

6. Gently prise the fascia ring/escutcheon off the barrel with a small head screwdriver or other tool - you just work the tool around to lift off the ring

7. Remove the old finisher plate and whatever dust shutter hardware still exists, clean out broken plastic bits, etc. and replace with new

8. Refit the fascia ring/escutcheon over the new parts. You will have to hold down the new finisher plate in position while doing this as there is slight spring tension, also be sure to install the plastic shutter with the smooth side facing out.

9. Refit the barrel and other components. This is also a great time to replace the driver side door lock bulb if it is burned out. I replaced mine with a "grain of wheat" incandescent bulb from radio shack online but there are lots of options and probably better ones than the radio shack bulb.

10. Reconnect battery.

11. Glory in the great improvement in looks and function.
« Last Edit: May 12, 2020, 07:07:32 PM by jza80 »

Offline fastfalcon94

« Reply #8 on: April 27, 2020, 11:02:16 AM »
Mine are missing. Is the white plastic 3d printed? If so what material? Is the black surround made of metal or is that plastic as well?

Offline jza80

« Reply #9 on: April 27, 2020, 12:36:34 PM »
Mine are missing. Is the white plastic 3d printed? If so what material? Is the black surround made of metal or is that plastic as well?

The plastic shutters probably crumbled and fell away at some point.  Completely normal.

The parts I have are OE equivalent, the shutter is sort of translucent white plastic, the fascia is metal.  Exact same shape and form as the original.  Not 3D printed, they are old school original Mazda style.

Besides the new clean shutter, the fascias are usually pretty scratched up from key marks so the new one always improves the look a lot as well.

Offline fastfalcon94

« Reply #10 on: April 27, 2020, 01:06:22 PM »
Cool. Just sent you a PM. I'd like a set for my car.

Offline fastfalcon94

« Reply #11 on: May 01, 2020, 09:26:01 PM »
I just installed new flaps on my car. They look a lot better than an open hole with scratches all around it. I wish I took more pics of the process but I documented what I did here:

https://802projects.com/blog/rx7locks/rx7locks.php

Some pics:

Offline jza80

« Reply #12 on: May 12, 2020, 02:59:14 PM »
^  Looks great, and nice writeup on your blog.  Good thought about mentioning that the smooth side of the shutter faces out.
« Last Edit: May 12, 2020, 07:05:56 PM by jza80 »