May 04, 2024, 07:52:08 AM

Author Topic: FD3S Rear "Euro" Washer / Fluid Tank  (Read 6328 times)

Offline mattgold

FD3S Rear "Euro" Washer / Fluid Tank
« on: July 10, 2017, 02:51:09 PM »
As some of you may know, Euro spec and some Canadian spec FDs came from the factory with a larger washer tank, mounted in the rear hatch, behind the plastic panel.  The reason for the larger tank was to feed three thirsty systems; the front washers, the rear washer AND the headlight washers (which US cars didn't get).  Capacity on this tank is a little over 1.5 Gallons (5.5 Liters) which makes it a GREAT option for a stealthy methanol / auxiliary injection tank.

Euro Tank Mounted

US spec models with rear wipers have a small reserviour in that spot - but the capacity doesn't instill a lot of other uses.

"cute"

The good news is: all FDs have the necessary mounting points and provisions to support the larger tank.

The problem is: finding Euro spec washer tanks.  They simply aren't readily available, they are NLA from Mazda and they come with their own share of downsides if we're being perfectly honest.

"Wait a minute... downsides?"

Yeah.  There are a few downsides to the Euro washer tank in it's current form.

1) Since the tank is made to house three pumps, that does two things.  It eats up internal capacity and has potential areas that can leak:

2) Since the tank is a two-piece design, it has a weird rubber connector between the two tanks.  Again, eats up internal capacity and has another potential leak area:

3) There are sensors and hose routing that take capacity and just aren't needed:

4) They don't really have a natural place to add fluid level sensors or nozzles.  Most tanks I've seen have even MORE holes drilled to accommodate these guys.

5) It's not cheap.  I've seen these sell for over $400USD in old, beat up condition.

So that's the bad news.  But the GOOD news is, we've 3D scanned a Euro tank, made modifications in CAD and found a manufacturer to make these.  We've addressed the potential issues and made this the best version of rear Euro washer tank that we could.

FRONT

REAR

BOSS DETAIL

REAR LEFT

REAR RIGHT

FEATURES OF NEW TANK

* Redundant systems, leak points and sensors have been deleted
 * Design is now one piece to increase capacity and ease install
 * Capacity should be right around 2 Gallons (7.5Liters)
 * It will bolt in requiring zero modification
 * It should be "agnostic" to whatever injection kit you run
 * We provide a large boss for a level sensor as well as a smaller boss for a nozzle on the side of the tank, with an additional three nozzle bosses to accommodate multi-nozzle setups.  Each boss would have to be drilled/tapped for your own sensor/nozzle.

Now the only remaining question is: does anyone want this?  Tooling costs are not cheap and minimum orders are not low.  So this can only really happen if there's real interest.  Prices can't be discussed in an interest thread - but it would be around 1/2 the price of used units - but that also depends on how many people commit.

If you're interested, add your name below.  If you have questions, by all means ask away.  If you can share this on social media / other forums to drum up some interest - that'd be great too.  The more interest, the more likely this happens and the lower the price will be. 

LINK TO THE ORIGINAL POST / INTEREST LIST: https://www.rx7club.com/group-buy-product-dev-fd-rx-7-269/fd3s-rear-euro-washer-fluid-tank-1116357/#post12198009

Offline Tictakman

Re: FD3S Rear "Euro" Washer / Fluid Tank
« Reply #1 on: July 10, 2017, 07:53:05 PM »
Id be interested.  Depending on time of completion and price...I added my name on rx7club.

Zak

Offline Exidous

« Reply #2 on: July 12, 2017, 03:53:45 AM »
Good lord Matt, that may end up being one of the most successful GBs on the club ever. 70 peeps and counting.
94 BB Sleeved gen IV LS7, MS3ProU with TC, RONIN 8.8 and LT's with custom 3.5"single to VAREX muffler.

Offline mattgold

« Reply #3 on: July 12, 2017, 08:13:05 AM »
Good lord Matt, that may end up being one of the most successful GBs on the club ever. 70 peeps and counting.

Yeah. I'm pretty surprised and flattered to be completely honest.

I'm just hoping not too many people drop off when it's time to take the dive!

-M

Offline digitalsolo

« Reply #4 on: July 12, 2017, 08:36:19 AM »
I have zero need for that, but it doesn't alter the fact that is really freaking cool.
Blake MF'ing McBride
1988 Mazda RX7 - Turbo LS1/T56/ProEFI/8.8/Not Slow...   sold.
1965 Mustang Coupe - TT Coyote, TR6060, modern brakes/suspension...
2007 Aston Martin V8 Vantage - Gen V LT4/TR6060, upper/lower pullies, headers, tune.
2021 Tesla Model 3 Performance - Stock...ish.

Offline wickedrx7

« Reply #5 on: July 12, 2017, 09:00:55 AM »
Wow, that is awesome. I don't have any use for it but it is definitely awesome!

1993 Touring, 2012 L99, T-56, Ronnin 8.8, Ohlins, Speedhut, Samberg and lots of custom parts
Build Thread - http://www.norotors.com/index.php?topic=19354.0
Pictures - www.flikr.com/wickedrx7

Offline mattgold

« Reply #6 on: July 12, 2017, 09:33:34 AM »
Yeah - I know methanol injection isn't super popular with the non-turbo guys... but maybe you could just store beer in it and connect it to one of those beer hats - but bypass the cans?

Offline Exidous

« Reply #7 on: July 12, 2017, 10:30:29 AM »
Pretty brilliant idea minus the glaring issue with it.  :chug: :drive: :secret:
94 BB Sleeved gen IV LS7, MS3ProU with TC, RONIN 8.8 and LT's with custom 3.5"single to VAREX muffler.

Offline Tictakman

« Reply #8 on: July 12, 2017, 06:44:53 PM »
Im actually going to use it for my A2W setup...Instead of having that nasty looking tank filling up my trunk space. 

Offline digitalsolo

« Reply #9 on: July 13, 2017, 09:51:53 AM »
Im actually going to use it for my A2W setup...Instead of having that nasty looking tank filling up my trunk space.

@BeasTT could do that too, though getting ice into it could be problematic.
Blake MF'ing McBride
2007 Aston Martin V8 Vantage - Gen V LT4/TR6060, upper/lower pullies, headers, tune.

Offline kinger

« Reply #10 on: July 13, 2017, 12:14:50 PM »
Puts the weight right where we need it to!  I think my trunk popper is in the way though :( 
93 Touring, 6.3L, T56 Magnum, Mamo RPS BC2 clutch, FAST 90, NW 90TB TB, 8.8, samberg everything, AC, PS, TC, Cruise, LED Tails, HID head lights

Offline BeasTT

• Supporting Member
  • Top Fuel
  • Twinz for teh winz
  • View Gallery
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: July 19, 2017, 09:10:26 PM »
Very very cool idea for a meth injection setup! Excellent idea to compete with snow performance for a windshield washer fluid meth tank. Don't think using it for an a2w ice tank is very practical though.
Nick Shultz

1993 Rx-7
371ci, Twin Billet 6265's, Twin A2W's, ProEFI 128, RacePak IQ3,
McLeod RXT, Speedfab 8.8 solid axle, QA1s, FIC 2150cc, Magnafuel 4303

Offline mattgold

« Reply #12 on: July 10, 2018, 11:12:30 AM »
Ok guys! It's happening. We're here. We made it!
 :cheers:

https://www.youtube.com/embed/mjaE73blQGg

First and foremost, I want to give everyone a huge THANK YOU for showing interest and sticking through it with me for this ride. If we didn't have the interest we did and the input you gave, we probably would have released a sub-par product and been kicking ourselves with all the coulda', woulda' shoulda's after you guys started installing them. However, I think this really is the best version that this product could be.

Bringing a product to life is an adventure. I hope you enjoyed seeing how a product goes from concept to reality and all the available technology that's out there to push it along.

From here on out SakeBomb Garage is going to take the lead on this project, but I will still be around to see it through. That reminds me, I need to give Heath and SakeBomb a huge THANK YOU as well for helping bring this product to see the light of day. Without their support, I'm not sure it would not have happened... well, at least it wouldn't have been as cool.  8)

So anyhow, we're gonna keep this thread open, BUT, the OFFICIAL GROUP BUY is over on the RX7Club SakeBomb Garage subforum:
https://www.rx7club.com/sakebomb-garage-317/sakebomb-garage-gb-water-injection-ai-rear-euro-tank-pre-order-group-buy-1128093/

Please add your name to the NEW thread with "PAID IN FULL" or "PAID DEPOSIT" so we can keep track of everyone (although the SBG website will also organize everything).

If you prepay in full you save an additional $50. Or you can leave a $125 deposit to secure your spot and pay the balance before shipping.

Here are the details:
Payment in Full $325:
http://www.sakebombgarage.com/trunk-mount-water-injection-tank/

Deposit Page Only $125   $250 final payment ($375 total):

http://www.sakebombgarage.com/deposit-page-only-trunk-mount-water-injection-tank/

We are estimating an October delivery. Pre-Order pricing expires in ONE MONTH (August 15th) so get your orders in now.

This is also a LIMITED RUN product. The interest on this thread is around 175 tanks - if everyone buys one - that means there will only be a handful left for future orders (and at full price to boot). If you EVER want to own one, now is the time.

Ok guys. Thanks again.   :wave:
« Last Edit: July 10, 2018, 11:26:51 AM by mattgold »

Offline digitalsolo

« Reply #13 on: July 10, 2018, 11:46:56 AM »
That is super cool!   Nice work!
Blake MF'ing McBride

Offline ZekeO

« Reply #14 on: August 05, 2018, 02:22:48 AM »
Yup. Gonna order one of these! Like the OEM stealth.  Heard the other that the BMW M4 GTS has a water injection system. Since when are OEMs doing this?  :scratch:
'93 RX-7
'04 M3 Convertible