May 01, 2024, 04:37:14 PM

Author Topic: Turbo II Differential  (Read 14300 times)

Offline yamaha

Turbo II Differential
« on: May 07, 2010, 04:46:48 PM »
I've done some searching on other forums, but cannot seem to find the information I've been looking for. How strong and reliable are the Turbo II rear ends. I'm not looking to make any big numbers, but don't want to find out later down the line the rear end will be giving me issues.

Thanks,
Sean

Offline digitalsolo

Re: Turbo II Differential
« Reply #1 on: May 07, 2010, 05:00:34 PM »
It's hard to find info because that's somewhat of a loaded question.   :)

At best?   Generally around 550-600 RWHP seems to be the mark.

With a manual tranny, that drops by 100 HP or more.    With non-wrinkle wall tires (aka street or drag radials) and their associated axle hop, you can break them at 300 RWHP.

What are you planning to build?
Blake MF'ing McBride
1988 Mazda RX7 - Turbo LS1/T56/ProEFI/8.8/Not Slow...   sold.
1965 Mustang Coupe - TT Coyote, TR6060, modern brakes/suspension...
2007 Aston Martin V8 Vantage - Gen V LT4/TR6060, upper/lower pullies, headers, tune.
2021 Tesla Model 3 Performance - Stock...ish.

Offline yamaha

« Reply #2 on: May 07, 2010, 07:06:37 PM »
Not looking to build, car is a TII model, just looking at what the limits are and where I can safely go. I plan on doing some autox and drag racing, but mostly enjoying the car for the summer, don't what to blow it up. I guess I will be researching a solid axle or Thunderbird IRS setup soon!

Offline Andrew R

• Supporting Member
  • Launching!
  • Superunnatural
  • View Gallery
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 07, 2010, 08:42:02 PM »
If all your doing in autox and road stuff the TII diff is just fine for the power levels that you should have for said activities, 400-475rwhp or so which would be a nicely worked NA LSx. Now if you start running the 1/4 mile things may change a bit. I am sticking with the TII rear and I think I can safely say I abuse it more than most -I'll keep any updates or brokeness in my build thread.

« Last Edit: May 07, 2010, 08:48:06 PM by Andrew R »

3 fingered willy

« Reply #4 on: May 17, 2010, 06:44:17 AM »
Not looking to build, car is a TII model, just looking at what the limits are and where I can safely go. I plan on doing some autox and drag racing, but mostly enjoying the car for the summer, don't what to blow it up. I guess I will be researching a solid axle or Thunderbird IRS setup soon!

I hate to say it , but most of that info is gone for now. The T2 is strong enough for some racing. I got over 300 passes on mine with a stock LS1/4L60E. The T56 will destroy a T2 quite quickly with about 400HP depending on driver skills in drag racing, however, careful launching and avoiding the wheel spin/hop it will be plenty good for a long time.

Some 8.8 irs info: The Tbird super coupe is a 28 spline CV axle output, as well as the 1999/2002 mustang, the big difference in those 2 cars is the mustang is an aluminum cased diff. 2003/2004 Cobra diff is 31 spline axle outputs and is also aluminum cased. Ford explorer diff is 31 spline and is also aluminum cased diff, but the housing is designed a bit different then the previous 3. Inner CV tripods are interchangable on all versions. They have different external CV design but the tulip cups are made the same. Ring and pinions I beleive are the same throughout all the diff's but the bearing kits dont share the same seals between the 31 and 28 spline versions.

At this point thats all I can remember, must be getting old or something! :D

Offline HTh3r0

• Supporting Member
  • Staged
  • Cleanest engine bay crew
  • View Gallery
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: May 18, 2010, 05:37:05 AM »

I have a buddy with a t2, still rotorized. The car is abused every single day at 400 horsepower for about 4 years and god only knows what was going on with the car before that.
He has no suspension upgrades, no solid mounts, and no snubber.

Now from what I've read, if you plan to do some drag racing you really want to get a pinion snubber or "control arm bumper" (from autozone) just so the front diff mount doesn't get destroyed. This mod alone I heard will take the wheel hop away.

It also comes down to what kind of money you want to spend vs how much power you're going to make vs what you use the car for.

"A times B times C equals X. . ."  I felt a fight club quote coming on.

10.9@128   :bacon:
1990 GXL ls1/t56 up for sale.
http://www.norotors.com/index.php?topic=7089.msg100073#msg100073

Offline BlackSeven

• Supporting Member
  • Staged
  • Mike Cochran
  • View Gallery
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: May 18, 2010, 05:54:55 AM »
I snapped the pinion mount off my subframe 3 times.

Then I welded on there. And it literally ripped the steel sheet metal off the subframe where it had been welded.

A pinion snubber helps, but the real solution if you're going to beat on it is to use a cobra rear. Not sure who makes them now. I had one and sold it when my FC was destroyed by a drunk driver.

1994 Montego Blue Touring
1993 Brilliant Black Base Heads/Cam LS1/T56 Daily Driver. - Sold.

Offline HTh3r0

• Supporting Member
  • Staged
  • View Gallery
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: May 18, 2010, 06:19:49 AM »
i agree. Getting a diff that is made for greater numbers and torque would be a great idea. But since he already has a t2 he should just see how long it will hold out. . . Or take it out and sell it on da club to someone doin a t2 conversion

Offline digitalsolo

« Reply #8 on: May 18, 2010, 09:41:45 AM »
Never had any issues with my TII diff, but it ran Royal Purple fluid, a pinion snubber, mazda comp front mount and MMR rear mounts, which certainly helped.

~500-525 RWHP and drag radials.   I'm nice to equipment though (except engines apparently).  ;)
Blake MF'ing McBride
2007 Aston Martin V8 Vantage - Gen V LT4/TR6060, upper/lower pullies, headers, tune.

Offline HTh3r0

• Supporting Member
  • Staged
  • View Gallery
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: May 18, 2010, 09:50:02 AM »
 ^the only v8rx7 running 13s in the quarter with 500 horsepower

Offline digitalsolo

« Reply #10 on: May 18, 2010, 10:16:19 AM »
^the only v8rx7 running 13s in the quarter with 500 horsepower

Haha, I ran a 12.3 @ 112 coasting from the 1000'.   :D

So far the only time I've been slower than 12s was when they shut us off at the line for 5 minutes and I had to launch on cold tires.    14.3 @ 124 mph, 3.4 second 60'.   Booyah!   :D
Blake MF'ing McBride

Offline HTh3r0

• Supporting Member
  • Staged
  • View Gallery
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: May 18, 2010, 10:43:19 AM »
i'm just playing. I havent went anywhere so technically i have a slower time. Haha. You did away with your t2 rear  right?

Offline digitalsolo

« Reply #12 on: May 18, 2010, 10:47:17 AM »
Yes, I have a Dana 36 out back now.
Blake MF'ing McBride

Offline Rayminator

« Reply #13 on: May 19, 2010, 07:44:38 PM »

I hate to say it , but most of that info is gone for now. The T2 is strong enough for some racing. I got over 300 passes on mine with a stock LS1/4L60E. The T56 will destroy a T2 quite quickly with about 400HP depending on driver skills in drag racing, however, careful launching and avoiding the wheel spin/hop it will be plenty good for a long time.

Some 8.8 irs info: The Tbird super coupe is a 28 spline CV axle output, as well as the 1999/2002 mustang, the big difference in those 2 cars is the mustang is an aluminum cased diff. 2003/2004 Cobra diff is 31 spline axle outputs and is also aluminum cased. Ford explorer diff is 31 spline and is also aluminum cased diff, but the housing is designed a bit different then the previous 3. Inner CV tripods are interchangable on all versions. They have different external CV design but the tulip cups are made the same. Ring and pinions I beleive are the same throughout all the diff's but the bearing kits dont share the same seals between the 31 and 28 spline versions.

Not all T-Bird 8.8 rearends are the same when it comes to the axles. For example, the axles from the V-6 cars have smaller tulips at the pumpkin,  the bar itself is also smaller diameter, than the V-8 and Supercoupe hardware.

From what we have seen, looking at the hardware that Bill and I have, the tulips for the dif. side are the same for the V-8 T-Bird, Explorer, and Cobra.

3 fingered willy

« Reply #14 on: May 21, 2010, 06:21:51 PM »

Not all T-Bird 8.8 rearends are the same when it comes to the axles. For example, the axles from the V-6 cars have smaller tulips at the pumpkin,  the bar itself is also smaller diameter, than the V-8 and Supercoupe hardware.

From what we have seen, looking at the hardware that Bill and I have, the tulips for the dif. side are the same for the V-8 T-Bird, Explorer, and Cobra.

The diff your talking about Ray is the 7.5, looks just like an 8.8, but like you said, the tulips are  the small ones. I'll bet the ring and pinion are the same tho. :D