April 26, 2024, 07:29:55 AM

Author Topic: Importing a car to the United States  (Read 7274 times)

Offline Mik3ymomo

Importing a car to the United States
« on: November 19, 2015, 11:11:06 AM »
This is my experience importing a 1993 Mazda RX-7 into the United States from Canada. I will outline the process as it pertained to my situation. This will not be the process for everyone depending on the car, its age and if it was built to US Specification or not and what you will do with it when it gets here. A vehicle used off road or for display is easier to get in than one you will drive on public highways and that will require registration.

First off you CAN Import a car yourself IF the car already conforms to EPA requirements for emissions and DOT standards for anti-theft devices and crashworthiness. You can find this out by contacting the Manufacturer. Its something you will need to do for the process and it should be the first thing you do once you find a car that you want to import. The Manufacturer will need the Vin # and Build date for the car. I contacted Mazda Corp through their Canadian Homepage. I believe there is a link to a form to request this letter in the Customer support and FAQ area. It was easy and the response was fast. They will email you a PDF that you can print. It will detail that the car conforms or if it does not conform and which states in the US it may not conform i.e. California...

One you have this form that states the car conforms you are well on your way. Now the Federal paperwork Begins. The EPA form 3520 and DOT form HS799 need to be completed and print the letter from the Manufacturer (not from a franchise, Has to be from the Corporate letterhead) and keep this with you as you will need it during customs. There is also a form stating where the vehicle originated from etc.

Here is a link detailing the process and has forms you can fill out prior to arriving at Customs to speed up the process.
https://help.cbp.gov/app/answers/detail/a_id/218/~/requirements-for-importing-a-vehicle-%2F-vehicle-parts

Ok so read the forms carefully. It states that the vehicle in my case was over 21 years old and is exempt from EPA AS LONG AS IT WAS NOT MODIFIED from stock. Well my car was not stock but no one actually inspected my car physically. I also did not go through customs at the point of entry. The owner of the car drove it into the US and I trailered it back to NJ 6 hours. I then went to my closest Customs point of entry in Philadelphia and filed my paperwork and paid Duty on the value. This went much easier than I had anticipated.

The State of New Jersey paperwork was more complicated. They wanted all of the Federal Paperwork as well as Forms of their own and the process was BY MAIL ONLY. It took approx. 6 weeks for them to process the paperwork Cash my check for 7% sales tax and $85 fee for the title.
New Jersey calls this its "Foreign Title service" if you happen to be in my state and want to do this.

The list of things NJ required was much longer and because the vehicle is a limited production vehicle I was also registering it as a "Collector Car" in my state. This requires limited use agreed value insurance and there is a mileage limitation to 3k miles a year. It allows me to avoid the emission testing. At 25 years old everything changes on a Federal and State level and its easier to bring in about anything you would want. For now NJ makes room for special limited production cars to avoid this but you will need a letter stating the numbers that the car was produced. I believe the cut off is 3000 or less per year of production and you can get this documentation from the manufacturer or a recognized car club etc. Must have this on letterhead. More info can be found about that on the NJDMV site but for now we are talking about importation. Here is what the state will require for the title service and so you can register your car in NJ.

Have a look
Instructions for Out of Country (Import)
• OS/SS-7 “Application for Certificate of Ownership” must be completed.
• 7% Sales tax must be satisfied.
• MSO/Original Title/Registration from the foreign country is required.
• If a MSO should be in customer name or assigned to customer.
• Original shipping documents from importer/shipper of the vehicle.
• Must contain the year, make, and VIN of the vehicle.
• $60.00 check or money order payable to: NJMVC.
• $85 fee if the title will be issued with a lien.
• Pencil tracing or photograph clearly showing the complete VIN.
• Original/ Carbon EPA-Form 3520-1 from the Federal Environmental Protection Agency.
• Must obtain from U.S. Customs or download from website: www.epa.gov.
• This document verifies the vehicle meets air pollution regulations.
• This document is not required if vehicle is greater than 25 years old.
• Original/Carbon Customs Entry Form 7501 or 3461from Dept of Customs & Border Protection, US Homeland Security. (7501 used when filing directly at the time of import; Form 3461 is used when filing in advance of import.)
• Must contain original customs stamp and the year, make, and VIN of the vehicle. www.cbp.gov.
• Original/Carbon HS-7 “Declaration” from the US Department of Transportation, National Highway Traffic Safety Administration.
• Must contain the year, make and VIN of the vehicle.
• Can be obtained at the following website www.nhtsa.dot.gov.
• Original Bill of Sale/Invoice is required if purchased from a dealer. If purchased from an individual, a notarized bill of sale is required (can be handwritten). If from Canada it has to be notarized in Canada.
• Must contain the year, make, VIN, date, price, and buyer/seller signature.
• Official translations by a reputable entity such as State College or a consulate for ALL foreign documents (Title, MCO, MSO, Bill of Sale, etc.)

Yes some of the forms were in French as the car came from Montreal, Quebec Canada but I did not have them translated. I got my title without issue but its something they could have decided t kick back to me. Most everything was in English though.

Another point about Canada is that almost no Provinces have vehicle titles. You will need to be sure to get a title search done. I did to make sure there were no liens. Your DMV may require it. There are companies in Canada that will do the search for you. It cost me about $55. The email you the results quickly. At least in my case. No issues and my mind at ease. in Lieu of a title you will need a NOTORIZED bill of sale AND the current registration signed over to you including the current mileage etc. In Canada the registration has this accommodation on it. Its used much like a vehicle title here in the states is used.

My state required the bill of sale be notarized in the Country that the transaction took place. I've heard that my state were sticklers about this so make sure you have this done before you take possession and hand over the cash. People are less motivated to go out of their way to help after they have completed their end of the transaction.

Hopefully this will help you if you want to do the same. if you want to import a car that DOES NOT CONFORM you will need to go through an authorized company that will perform the required modifications so the car WILL conform. This is both EPA and DOT requirements for cars not 25 years old older.

Mike

93 CYM Base Single Turbo
94 Chaste White Base 22k Original miles Stock
94 Chaste White PEP 29k Miles (sold)
94 Chaste White PEP LS3 T56 Swap (Sold)
93 BB Touring 20B Swap (Sold)
http://www.flickr.com/photos/mik3ymomo/

Offline digitalsolo

Re: Importing a car to the United States
« Reply #1 on: November 19, 2015, 11:23:22 AM »
Innnnnnnnnnnnnnteresting.   Always seems like a lot of work.
Blake MF'ing McBride
1988 Mazda RX7 - Turbo LS1/T56/ProEFI/8.8/Not Slow...   sold.
1965 Mustang Coupe - TT Coyote, TR6060, modern brakes/suspension...
2007 Aston Martin V8 Vantage - Gen V LT4/TR6060, upper/lower pullies, headers, tune.
2021 Tesla Model 3 Performance - Stock...ish.

Offline Mik3ymomo

« Reply #2 on: November 19, 2015, 11:48:15 AM »
Innnnnnnnnnnnnnteresting.   Always seems like a lot of work.

The one thing that I took away from the process is that you need to know what you are doing before you do it. This will keep you from getting jammed up at the border or at DMV. Because importing a car is outside the norm of daily operations you will probably know more than the people you are dealing with. The process is NOT difficult at all, there are just hoops you need to jump through and read the forms and fill them all out correctly. Get the letter from the Manufacturer to make sure you can import it yourself in the first place.

There was nothing hard about the process at all. It was more about making sure you had everything in order from the required list of forms. I've never done it before but would do it again if the car was worth it.

Don't buy a car overseas and try to make it work after the fact. Knowing what you need to do before you get to the border, customs or DMV will make all the difference between everything going smoothly and finding yourself making more than 1 trip. The process was slow, I had the car in my garage for over a month and I couldn't drive it. With weather starting to wane I was anxious to get out with it. In the end I would say it was entirely worth it. If looking for something exceptional you can't always find it nearby or at a price you are willing to pay. The pool of low mile clean RX-7's is small already. In Canada they have US Spec left hand drive cars so it adds a few to the pool of you are willing to jump through a few hoops.

93 CYM Base Single Turbo

Offline Mik3ymomo

« Reply #3 on: November 19, 2015, 12:58:36 PM »
Because people hate threads without Pictures to tell the story.

93 CYM Base Single Turbo

Offline turbotalon1g

« Reply #4 on: November 20, 2015, 05:33:48 PM »
Thanks for writing that up.

Offline Brandon86

« Reply #5 on: November 20, 2015, 11:00:38 PM »
Couldn't last long without replacing the 7 I see....
Stable:
1994 Chaste White FD3S / LS3 / T56
2012 LeMans Blue Metallic BMW 135i Coupe
2012 Red Sunglo Harley Davidson Sportster / 2010 GSX-R Front End & Rear End Soon
2014 Candy White Jetta GLI Autobahn / 2.0TSI / M6
Previous Toys:
2002 WRB Subaru Impreza WRX / 2.2 Stroker & Type RA M5 / V.8 STi Interior Swap
1998 WRB Subaru Impreza GC8 Coupe / JDM STi V.6 Engine & Tranny
2003 Blue GMC Sonoma SLS / 2.4L M5
1992 Green Jeep YJ / Dodge 318 V8 Swap M5 / 5" Lift & 35"x12" Tires

Offline quinns

« Reply #6 on: November 20, 2015, 11:12:59 PM »
Quit taking all our good cars you dam yanks!   :P :P :P
1993 Rx-7 Base LS3 TR6060 Ronin 8.8
1997.5 Hummer H1
2006 Hummer H2 SUT

Offline Mik3ymomo

« Reply #7 on: November 21, 2015, 06:11:52 AM »
Couldn't last long without replacing the 7 I see....

It's my 3rd one so far. Once you own one and sell it you can't get it out of your head. Wash and repeat.  :chug:
93 CYM Base Single Turbo

Offline spacevomit

« Reply #8 on: November 21, 2015, 10:32:12 AM »
Do you use Touch of Grey by Just For Men?

Offline paul_3rdgen

« Reply #9 on: November 21, 2015, 11:03:30 AM »
^ lmao.  We're all getting old.  I'm turning 40 in a month and half of my hair is white.   
Btw congrats on the new 7 Mike.
93 RX7 R1 500rwhp
LS2, H/C combo... ARE drysump
Race Logic traction Control and 4 wheel Stoptech BBK
3.73 gears installed in the stock diff  :o

Offline spacevomit

« Reply #10 on: November 21, 2015, 12:03:51 PM »
I'm only 34 and a half! :yay:
[attach=1]

Offline Mik3ymomo

« Reply #11 on: November 21, 2015, 01:34:15 PM »
I'm only 34 and a half! :yay:
[attach=1]

You should work on growing that into a "Donald"
93 CYM Base Single Turbo

Offline gnx7

« Reply #12 on: November 23, 2015, 12:52:37 AM »
I know that all states differ.... I want to import a 2000/2001 Audi RS4 into California.  I read on a US DOT document that they are legal for import under some exemption since they are so similar to the S4 offered here already and as long as the manufacture date is 15 years or older.... you are good to go.

'93 FD: 441ci/AllPro LS7 heads/intake en route, T56 Mag, 8.8" IRS, HolleyHP, DavisTechTC 10.32@137mph cats/full exhaust. 165mph 1/2 mile (old LS7)
'93 FD LS9 turbo, T56 Mag, Samberg 8.8" solid axle, 9.35@163mph 197mph 1/2 mile
`69 Chevelle: alum 5.3, GTS76 turbo, ChiseledPerf A/W, T56 Magnum,Ford 35 spline 9".CTS-V interior http://www.norotors.com/index.php?topic=18234.0
old yellar....440rwhp/FD sold but not forgotten: http://www.ponycars.net/scc.htm
I sell new T56 Magnums/McLeod clutch/T56 rebuild kits/Holley EFI/FIC injectors and all BrianTooleyRacing parts.  norcalmotorsport@gmail.com

Offline MPbdy

« Reply #13 on: November 23, 2015, 06:46:28 AM »
Mike given how much work it was and you *should* be able to find the same car in the US, would you ever go through this hassle again? The Canadian dollar being down 25% probably helped, eh?

Offline largeorangefont

« Reply #14 on: November 23, 2015, 09:15:43 AM »
Quote from: cool
Sell it to spacevomit.  He'll finish it.