April 26, 2024, 01:37:24 AM

Author Topic: Fortune Autos on FC? (purchased) + drift setup + wheel info  (Read 33752 times)

Offline nick Ritter

• Staged
  • it works 100% of the time 50% of the time
  • View Gallery
    • View Profile
Fortune Autos on FC? (purchased) + drift setup + wheel info
« on: August 28, 2015, 03:05:43 PM »
i have recently come into the market to buy a set of coils after much research i have come to grips that fortune auto 500s are the set for me. i have read nothing but good things about them, but i have a few questions first.....

i have read a lot of threads on here about spring rates with these coils on an fd http://www.norotors.com/index.php?topic=21776.0 but haven't found much if anything for an FC, so, i contacted fortune auto and told them my setup (LQ4/T56) and they recommended 11k/ 8k,i was concerned and was wondering if this is enough spring in the front for the FC chassis, i asked them they told me i could do my own research if need be. i would like my car really low as well and haven't heard if these go low or not.

the car will mostly be a weekend warrior/ drifter with street driving as well

any input is welcome
« Last Edit: June 03, 2016, 03:50:53 PM by nick Ritter »

Offline largeorangefont

Re: fortune autos on FC
« Reply #1 on: August 28, 2015, 03:20:37 PM »
I run them on my FC and can tell you that will probably be too stiff (rear especially) for a weekend warrior setup. I'll add some more info in a bit. I am very satisfied with them on the car now that I have them dialed in.

I would not go higher than 7k in the back if you run the car on anything rough. 6k might be a good place to start. I started with 12k in the front with an RB sway bar and like it, but 11k or 10k may be better if you less track focused.

I don't drift, I road race, so take that for what it's worth. What wheel/tire setup are you running? That will be a factor for the front rate as well.
« Last Edit: August 28, 2015, 04:43:54 PM by largeorangefont »
Quote from: cool
Sell it to spacevomit.  He'll finish it.

Offline nick Ritter

• Staged
  • View Gallery
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 28, 2015, 07:06:48 PM »
I'm running toyo t1r all around 255/35/18  but this is subjected to change  hope fully that 8/6k won't be to soft
« Last Edit: September 05, 2015, 11:07:55 AM by nick Ritter »

Offline largeorangefont

« Reply #3 on: August 28, 2015, 10:48:37 PM »
8/6 is good for that tire if you were tracking the car. You might need stiffer to drift, I have no idea.

Offline nick Ritter

• Staged
  • View Gallery
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: August 29, 2015, 09:58:37 AM »
Thank you for your input !

Anyone else want to share  ideas on spring rates for drifting ?
I would like to place my order on Monday and hope they get here by Halloween.

Offline nick Ritter

• Staged
  • View Gallery
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: August 30, 2015, 05:31:55 PM »
Bump, anyone else have any input ? Looking to order these Friday !

Offline largeorangefont

« Reply #6 on: August 30, 2015, 10:24:47 PM »
I'd do 9 or 10k in the front and 6k in the back. Start there and see where you are at.

Offline atli126

• Launching!
  • my fc 5.3/t56 got 25+ mpg :)
  • View Gallery
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: August 31, 2015, 04:51:04 PM »
http://www.norotors.com/index.php?topic=22886.0

i love my tein flex with the 6k/5k and its great! my car is a weekend autox/street/semi track car. But i could go to florida if i wanted now that my shocks are correctly softened
-Bret
87 RX7 5.3/t56 TII Check it out >>>>http://www.502streetscene.net/forum/showthread.php?t=181938&page=4

"no one ever said it would be cheap and easy, they just said it would be worth it"

"Whatever you do, don't lose your passion. Without it who are you?" -Me

Offline AKINA FC

« Reply #8 on: August 31, 2015, 05:01:59 PM »
I think fortunes numbers are pretty close to what you would need, did you specifically tell them your drifting the car or ?
The valving is what makes all the difference with fortunes stuff and it works very well

Offline atli126

• Launching!
  • my fc 5.3/t56 got 25+ mpg :)
  • View Gallery
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: August 31, 2015, 05:05:29 PM »
I also love the Tein with the edfc option. They even have active edfc now which is super baller and it self auto adjusts and is tunable....
-Bret
87 RX7 5.3/t56 TII Check it out >>>>http://www.502streetscene.net/forum/showthread.php?t=181938&page=4

"no one ever said it would be cheap and easy, they just said it would be worth it"

"Whatever you do, don't lose your passion. Without it who are you?" -Me

Offline largeorangefont

« Reply #10 on: August 31, 2015, 06:21:08 PM »
I think fortunes numbers are pretty close to what you would need, did you specifically tell them your drifting the car or ?
The valving is what makes all the difference with fortunes stuff and it works very well

Not to discount Erik's experience, but their recommendation for me was much too stiff in the rear. I ended up dropping ~3K from their rear recommendation. They recommended 10K, I ordered 9K and then dropped to 400# springs (basically 7K) after driving the car a few times. The car was good with the 9K springs on smooth parts of the track, but on rough parts of the track the car was inconsistent and hard to drive. Fronts were 12K And I liked them with an RB sway bar. I ended up swapping to 700lb springs which is just slightly stiffer than 12K.

I would not get the Swift spring upgrade. They will charge you about as much for the springs as you can buy them outright... I'd rather have a 2nd set of springs to tune the car with, and there are cheaper Swift spring equivalents out there anyway.

Offline willcoop

« Reply #11 on: August 31, 2015, 11:07:23 PM »
I have Fortune auto 510s on my FC. I use my car mainly for autox with a few track days and driving the car to the events. Fortune recommended 13/10k for me based on what I told them. I expected them to be really stiff with those spring rates but it isn't as bad as I thought. There is a big difference between full soft and full hard, I usually leave them set around the middle.

Are you thinking about getting 500s or 510s? They just changed the design of the 510s with a new valve design that never needs revalved.

Offline nick Ritter

• Staged
  • View Gallery
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: September 01, 2015, 07:10:36 PM »
looking at the 500 series, don't want to drop the coin for 510s i won't be that competitive in my opinion. i told him everything about my setup and said id mostly be sliding it with a road course event once a year maybe twice.

Offline willcoop

« Reply #13 on: September 01, 2015, 08:42:19 PM »
Call thmotorsports and ask for Dewey. He gave me a great price on my coilovers that was better than anything I saw online.

Dewey @ THM
800 959 0145 ext 107

Offline nick Ritter

• Staged
  • View Gallery
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: September 04, 2015, 12:59:38 PM »
Call thmotorsports and ask for Dewey. He gave me a great price on my coilovers that was better than anything I saw online.

Dewey @ THM
800 959 0145 ext 107

holy smokes you're right !!! 200 bucks cheaper than listed for, dewey wasn't there i spoke with luke !

anyways i placed the order after talking to them over the phone for 45mins about this I can't say how well their customer service was. Anyway we decided to go with 11k front 7k in the rear the will take 4 weeks to arrive. I plan on posting my progress in this thread with them in terms of drifting and daily driving. if anyone is thinking this is too stiff, fortune auto says i am able to go 2k up or down WITHOUT having to get them revalved, so if i don't like the springs i will switch +,- 2k as for the stance guys wondering how low these go, he said they will make the car pretty much undriveable given tire size.

i am also open to ideas anyone is willing to share about a proper beginner drift setup, i currently have entirely stock suspension with no front swap bar ..... I'm buying the abercrombie motorsports fc full angle kit along with all poly black bushings.

Thanks for the help everyone ! happy labor day weekend
« Last Edit: September 05, 2015, 11:14:23 AM by nick Ritter »