May 06, 2024, 11:20:34 AM

Author Topic: Yes another coilover reccomendation thread for an FD  (Read 9897 times)

Offline Cavity_Filla

Yes another coilover reccomendation thread for an FD
« on: March 04, 2015, 12:04:20 AM »
Hey guys I am in the market for some new coilovers and I am setting my limit at 1.5k, that is my budget limit.
I currently have hipermax II's, I have to recheck. I can tell you the ones in the rear are done at least.
I have searched and read through a few threads, and instead of bringing up an old one I started this puppy.

I will be running a single turbo setup (wish was a twin, but again budget.) using the truck manifolds.

I am aiming only for 600whp right now, for the summer. I plan to take it to the drag strip often, and it will
be a daily driver(whenever the weather is great, why not.) and a weekend cruiser. I would like to get it on the track
out here in Portland (PIR)but that is at the back of the list.

My setup will be battle version rear lca's/toe links, super pro bushings, ronin 8.8, with at least 305mm tires in the rear, with the single turbo setup in the front. The car is using the grannies kit(the high mount one)
Not sure if I will be able to squeeze a cage in budget wise right now, but if I can I will.

Any suggestions would be appreciated.

Offline nadeem

Re: Yes another coilover reccomendation thread for an FD
« Reply #1 on: March 04, 2015, 09:26:03 AM »
I've got D2 CoilOvers on both my 1993 FDs - Very Pleased With them - Have not had any problems at all.  Very nicely priced.

Under a thousand dollars.

Offline Cavity_Filla

« Reply #2 on: March 04, 2015, 11:42:59 PM »
Thanks Nadeem, any other inputs? I was checking out the tein street flexes too.

The D2's you are using are 10kg/6kg?

Online spacevomit

« Reply #3 on: March 05, 2015, 12:14:16 AM »
I like the Fortune Autos on paper (which is all I have to go by). Another user, that does have a running car and a valid license, tracks them though.

@largeorangefont

Offline Cavity_Filla

« Reply #4 on: March 05, 2015, 12:25:21 AM »
Well at least you have the license 8)

I might jump on them this Friday when I get my bushings. But trying to figure out the best ones for me.

Online spacevomit

« Reply #5 on: March 05, 2015, 12:34:45 AM »
You might? It's like pulling teeth with you! But I'm sure you'll get to the root of it.

Offline piglet

« Reply #6 on: March 05, 2015, 12:40:16 AM »
i absolutely love my stance coilovers. got a pretty good deal on them from autornd. heres a link:

http://www.autornd.com/Mazda-RX7-FD3S-s/4625.htm

free shipping too!

Offline Cavity_Filla

« Reply #7 on: March 05, 2015, 01:02:03 AM »
piglet, which ones did you get? How do they feel on the street?

Offline piglet

« Reply #8 on: March 05, 2015, 01:22:41 AM »

pretty sure mine are an older version of these: http://www.autornd.com/product-p/st-fd3s-ss-plus-10-8.htm
i think they are the only set they offer with 10k/8k spring rates. and because my car is primarily a street car i didnt want 12k/12k. and they are awesome! i have no regrets and would order them again. i turn them down for the 1 hour drive to autocross and they still ride like coilovers but dont beat the shit out of you. then crank up up a few clicks when i get there and it handles like its on rails. they seemed to be made well, and installed easy. no headaches or problems. ive had them since july 2012. the other thing that helped sell me on them is that parts and service are available within the US :http://www.stance-usa.com/main/shop/

i hope this helps, i'm sure there are plenty of other coilovers that are just as good, maybe even cheaper.

Offline Cavity_Filla

« Reply #9 on: March 05, 2015, 01:43:49 AM »

pretty sure mine are an older version of these: http://www.autornd.com/product-p/st-fd3s-ss-plus-10-8.htm
i think they are the only set they offer with 10k/8k spring rates. and because my car is primarily a street car i didnt want 12k/12k. and they are awesome! i have no regrets and would order them again. i turn them down for the 1 hour drive to autocross and they still ride like coilovers but dont beat the shit out of you. then crank up up a few clicks when i get there and it handles like its on rails. they seemed to be made well, and installed easy. no headaches or problems. ive had them since july 2012. the other thing that helped sell me on them is that parts and service are available within the US :http://www.stance-usa.com/main/shop/

i hope this helps, i'm sure there are plenty of other coilovers that are just as good, maybe even cheaper.

That's does help quite a bit, also with being able to be serviced in the us of a

Offline piglet

« Reply #10 on: March 05, 2015, 09:41:25 AM »
i just stumbled onto this over at the club. i dont know anything about them but it seems like a fair deal.
http://www.rx7club.com/vendor-classifieds-276/isc-suspension-coilovers-formula-d-proven-1076924/

Offline Thor 18

« Reply #11 on: March 05, 2015, 10:06:43 AM »
I got my BC racing coilovers for $950 shipped on ebay.  I got 8k/6k springs and they ride and handle very well in my opinion.  I havent taken them to a full track, but autox and very spirited road driving they do pretty well from what I can tell.  After some very aggressive driving they seem to lose a small amount of damping, but I just throw another 2 clicks in and keep going.  Never had them above 15/30 for stiffness, ride gets rough quick.  I have about 2k miles on them.  They aren't double adjustable, and I'm sure there are more finely tuned parts for road racing, but for overall competency at less than $1k, they work well.

Offline Cavity_Filla

« Reply #12 on: March 05, 2015, 10:47:09 AM »
I will look into those ISC coilovers, just to do some research.

So far BCx1, Stancex1, D2x1, and Fortune Autox1.

Seems like everybody likes their purchase so far.

Offline largeorangefont

« Reply #13 on: March 05, 2015, 10:55:08 AM »
It is stretching your budget slightly, but the Fortune 510 series is really good. That is what I run, they were $1650 shipped, but they are hand built, shock dynoed, and they are valved and sprung to your specs.

It is a nice step up from the ~$1000 coilovers. In that range you are on the right track with BC, Stance, and Fortune 500 series.
Quote from: cool
Sell it to spacevomit.  He'll finish it.

Offline AKINA FC

« Reply #14 on: March 05, 2015, 04:56:57 PM »
Knowing how nice the valving is in the Fortune 510's I bet the 500's are probably a great choice for a mixed use coilover (street/strip) and would be under your budget - they still tune them to your specs they just don't have the digressive valving, higher end bearings, AMS oil and a few other additions that truthfully you don't need for a street car any ways -imo. Personally I am very happy I went with fortune 510's.