April 26, 2024, 02:04:56 PM

Author Topic: Do I need an overflow bottle??  (Read 2883 times)

Offline 1320king

Do I need an overflow bottle??
« on: May 24, 2015, 03:22:05 PM »
So Iam looking to clean under my engine bay a little and was wondering if my over flow bottle is even needed with my expansion tank? My setup is 100% the same as the samberg setups just using a diff expansion tank. And in this system you should never have coolant going in and out of the expansion tank if filled / bleed correctly. So can i take the bottle out and just vent the line?

Offline Supe

Re: Do I need an overflow bottle??
« Reply #1 on: May 24, 2015, 05:36:36 PM »
If you ever boil over, it's going to dump out that line just like it would without the tank.  Stick a can somewhere, IMO.

Offline digitalsolo

« Reply #2 on: May 24, 2015, 06:10:49 PM »
The Samberg setup is not an expansion tank.   It's a degas tank.  You definitely still need an expansion tank or it will eventually end up without a full load of coolant in the system.  :)

FWIW, on my car I had it setup with the puke line from the expansion tank extended to behind the rear wheels.   I used a big (1") line also.   That way if you pop a head gasket, you vent coolant BEHIND the steery-drivey-slide-into-wally parts of the car.  :)
Blake MF'ing McBride
1988 Mazda RX7 - Turbo LS1/T56/ProEFI/8.8/Not Slow...   sold.
1965 Mustang Coupe - TT Coyote, TR6060, modern brakes/suspension...
2007 Aston Martin V8 Vantage - Gen V LT4/TR6060, upper/lower pullies, headers, tune.
2021 Tesla Model 3 Performance - Stock...ish.

Offline 1320king

« Reply #3 on: May 24, 2015, 08:41:29 PM »
hmmmm mine is setup like an expansion tank. Maybe it is diff. Its seup like this.

Offline markfluko

« Reply #4 on: May 24, 2015, 08:49:14 PM »
Route the overflow line from the radiator so that it points at your windshield.

Whenever you start overheating, you will know.

Offline 1320king

« Reply #5 on: May 24, 2015, 08:51:16 PM »
the overflow line on the radiator goes into the expansion tank  :P  , it would spit at the windshield all day long hahah  :barf:

Offline digitalsolo

« Reply #6 on: May 24, 2015, 09:35:27 PM »
hmmmm mine is setup like an expansion tank. Maybe it is diff. Its seup like this.

The Samberg tank is the "Pressurized Surge Tank" in that picture.   If you also have an overflow tank hooked up like the picture (which also should have a vent and should have the feed tube always under coolant so that it can suck it back in), you're fine.
Blake MF'ing McBride
1988 Mazda RX7 - Turbo LS1/T56/ProEFI/8.8/Not Slow...   sold.
1965 Mustang Coupe - TT Coyote, TR6060, modern brakes/suspension...
2007 Aston Martin V8 Vantage - Gen V LT4/TR6060, upper/lower pullies, headers, tune.
2021 Tesla Model 3 Performance - Stock...ish.

Offline spacevomit

« Reply #7 on: May 25, 2015, 06:47:29 PM »
This thread inspired me to put together a thing to dump coolant away from the tires in the event of over pressurization. It's a 1" line. The cap should just blow off if the line sees much pressure. I just need to make a mount.
[attachimg=1]

Offline theantirotor

« Reply #8 on: May 25, 2015, 07:07:12 PM »
Hey shocker!  Its an overkill setup!
:bacon:

Offline 1320king

« Reply #9 on: May 25, 2015, 09:20:21 PM »
omg hahahah. The way i have it setup it should never need a over flow bottle. The tank is 1/3 filled cold and comes up around 1/2 when hot. I would think the only time it needs the over flow is for a boilover and if thats the case i rather it shoot out the back of the car then up front into a bottle that could over fill. I just dont want to make the wrong decision :(

Offline largeorangefont

« Reply #10 on: May 25, 2015, 10:33:02 PM »
omg hahahah. The way i have it setup it should never need a over flow bottle. The tank is 1/3 filled cold and comes up around 1/2 when hot. I would think the only time it needs the over flow is for a boilover and if thats the case i rather it shoot out the back of the car then up front into a bottle that could over fill. I just dont want to make the wrong decision :(

Some guys run it that way and it is fine. If you have a problem without an overflow tank the water is going to get on the tires and everything else anyway.. So the discussion is moot.

I run a 1 quart overflow bottle on mine just in case. If you are worried beyond that run the vent line from your overflow to the cowl.. The water will get on the windshield if you have an issue and you know to shut it down.

« Last Edit: May 26, 2015, 12:10:15 AM by largeorangefont »
Quote from: cool
Sell it to spacevomit.  He'll finish it.

Offline 1320king

« Reply #11 on: May 25, 2015, 10:53:22 PM »
hmmmm maybe the windshield idea isnt stupid hahahah