May 18, 2024, 06:59:47 PM

Author Topic: 92-95 Honda civic hatch Si throttle cable for Lsx/FD. -perfection-  (Read 6995 times)

Offline JimmyTNT

Soo ive been using this throttle cable since about 2004 or so, but another member from another board asked me about it, so i decided to give back and do a mini write up with pics. I mean after all my arrogant shit talking, i should at least give back some valuable info to the lsx/fd community! Just to the FD guys tho, i hate FCs, FBs are legit tho.

Personally the OEM FD throttle cable is too donkey dick long and just loops around too much for me. Seeing how i used to be a honda/acura guru i had all kinds of those parts laying around and in my head, i knew the throttle cable from a 92-95 civic hatchback si or 93-95 civic ex would be damn near perfection. aaaand i was right. Also, they can be had complete for $10 on ebay and are readily available. Even though i have a custom coil relocation setup, the cable will still fit under OEM ls1 coil brackets. The leaded throttle pedal end of the cable with plastic clip locks into the OEM FD pedal like it should and the firewall guide insert does the same as well. As you can see the cable is short and streamlines over the engine perfectly. The only downfall for some possibly, is that you will have to fab up your own throttle cable bracket off the intake manifold. The stock Ls1 one, will not work due to improper spacing, i mean after all, it is a civic throttle cable. However it took me about 10mins if that to make one. The one pictured is entirely half assed because the intake on my car currently is a C5 vette ls1 intake that i bought for $50 off craigslist for mock up. I stole my ls6 one off the rx7 for my 5.3 swap in my ranger  ;)  The pics are self explanatory on how i did it. i'l add captions.

-go figure photobucket is dicking me over right now...
« Last Edit: November 07, 2010, 03:51:40 PM by JimmyTNT »
93 Ls1 RX7 w/ PT88  (for sound effects)
98 Acura Integra (grocery getter/tow vehicle)
03 Grudge Hayabusa (for sale)

Enjoy yourselves...

Offline danameisoj

Re: 92-95 Honda civic hatch Si throttle cable for Lsx/FD. -perfection-
« Reply #1 on: November 07, 2010, 11:08:27 PM »
nice find... my fd cable is too long and only opens my throttle 60%

whats funny is i work for honda so im going into my parts dept and having them pull this cable.. should be dirt cheap lol

Offline Pez

« Reply #2 on: November 08, 2010, 12:05:42 AM »
^^ You're cable isn't your problem, even if you've got it adjusted properly.
FC/FD plug and play wiring harnesses, LSx swap AC systems, LSx swap power steering lines.

Offline digitalsolo

« Reply #3 on: November 08, 2010, 12:24:15 AM »
That's a nice setup.

FWIW, the 1998 Non-TCS equipped Camarobird cable fits well also.   It's also long enough that you can keep it behind the intake and under the fuel rails, if you don't want it to be as visible as the one above.
Blake MF'ing McBride
1988 Mazda RX7 - Turbo LS1/T56/ProEFI/8.8/Not Slow...   sold.
1965 Mustang Coupe - TT Coyote, TR6060, modern brakes/suspension...
2007 Aston Martin V8 Vantage - Gen V LT4/TR6060, upper/lower pullies, headers, tune.
2021 Tesla Model 3 Performance - Stock...ish.

Offline JimmyTNT

« Reply #4 on: November 08, 2010, 07:49:08 PM »
That's a nice setup.

FWIW, the 1998 Non-TCS equipped Camarobird cable fits well also.   It's also long enough that you can keep it behind the intake and under the fuel rails, if you don't want it to be as visible as the one above.

The setup i have posted above is extremely smooth and has very little resistance, but offers precise control. Unfortunately, yes it crosses over the intake manifold, which midly annoys me, but hey its a trade off i guess. Cant see it when the hood is shut  :)
I had tried a longer honda/acura cable from a 95 integra GSR and routed it as you described above. I didnt like the pedal feel due to the cable having to make an abrupt 90-110* bend upon exiting the firewall. Gave it a rougher feel due to that tight radius im sure. Astetically (sp) it looked great, but it didnt have that feel i wanted.
93 Ls1 RX7 w/ PT88  (for sound effects)
98 Acura Integra (grocery getter/tow vehicle)
03 Grudge Hayabusa (for sale)

Enjoy yourselves...

Offline mattster03

« Reply #5 on: November 08, 2010, 07:55:03 PM »
Great find.  Samberg sells a throttle cable intake manifold mount as well...
Current Car: 1993 Mazda RX7 Touring, LS1/T56, Stock Stock Stock

1993 Mazda RX7 R1, LS1/T56, EPS 230/238, TSP Ported heads
10.826 @ 128 , 1.53 60' - SOLD

Feature Article - http://www.importmeet.com/blog/2012/03/29/best-of-both-worlds-v8rx7guys-ls1-swapped-1993-mazda-rx-7/
Swap Info - http://www.cardomain.com/ride/2801662

1986 Mazda RX7 GXL, LT1/T56 "Retired"
Swap Info - http://www.cardomain.com/ride/641869

Offline mdpalmer

« Reply #6 on: March 16, 2011, 04:03:23 PM »
Anybody try this with the Samberg cable bracket mount?
Mike
1993 SSM FD3S LS1 Rx-7 :o SOLD  :'(
My Build Thread
YouTube Vids

Offline ltsr

« Reply #7 on: March 16, 2011, 04:19:50 PM »
you can tell us  :)

I'm curious too..
///M

Offline mdpalmer

« Reply #8 on: March 16, 2011, 04:33:43 PM »
lol... well, we'll find out soon. I just bought one of the cables  :P

you can tell us  :)

I'm curious too..
Mike
My Build Thread
YouTube Vids

Offline BeatTheTunaUp

« Reply #9 on: March 16, 2011, 04:43:07 PM »
Not to be a dick but I think crossing over the intake looks like shit.  I'll keep my stock fd that wrap cleanly behind the maninfold and down the side.  It's practicaly invisible under the fuel rail and harness.  I also get 100% open/close on my t/b with it.  No need to change it.
93 FD money pit
15 Ram 1500 Sport 4x4
96 Dodge Ram 4X4  Truck I wanted in HS
98 Baja 192 Islander  5.7 vortec On the water

Offline mdpalmer

« Reply #10 on: March 16, 2011, 06:55:33 PM »
I think it does too, but my engine bay already looks like ass so it doesn't matter  8) The way I have it setup right now with the FD cable, it does feel a little bit indirect and sloppy, like there is a little bit of slack in the line... I dunno. I'll give this one a try and let you guys know how it turns out for me.

Not to be a dick but I think crossing over the intake looks like shit.  I'll keep my stock fd that wrap cleanly behind the maninfold and down the side.  It's practicaly invisible under the fuel rail and harness.  I also get 100% open/close on my t/b with it.  No need to change it.
Mike
My Build Thread
YouTube Vids

Offline mdpalmer

thanks jimmy tnt... here's how mine turned out.
« Reply #11 on: May 30, 2011, 07:23:00 PM »
Forgot about this thread, thought I would post a pic of how it turned out on my car. I ran the cable right behind the fuel rail and underneath. Had to modify parts of the cable itself. I posted about what I did in my build thread. HERE'S THE LINK.

Here's another link on where I got the cable from, etc. LINK.

Here's a couple pics, they're huge but it will help you see details better.

I think it does too, but my engine bay already looks like ass so it doesn't matter  8) The way I have it setup right now with the FD cable, it does feel a little bit indirect and sloppy, like there is a little bit of slack in the line... I dunno. I'll give this one a try and let you guys know how it turns out for me.

Mike
My Build Thread
YouTube Vids

Offline mattster03

« Reply #12 on: May 31, 2011, 10:15:40 AM »
What throttle body cable bracket is that you are using?
Current Car: 1993 Mazda RX7 Touring, LS1/T56, Stock Stock Stock

1993 Mazda RX7 R1, LS1/T56, EPS 230/238, TSP Ported heads
10.826 @ 128 , 1.53 60' - SOLD

Feature Article - http://www.importmeet.com/blog/2012/03/29/best-of-both-worlds-v8rx7guys-ls1-swapped-1993-mazda-rx-7/
Swap Info - http://www.cardomain.com/ride/2801662

1986 Mazda RX7 GXL, LT1/T56 "Retired"
Swap Info - http://www.cardomain.com/ride/641869

Offline 7StarrsSin

« Reply #13 on: May 31, 2011, 10:20:12 AM »
How long is the stock FD throttle cable? I have been eyeing the Lokar throttle cable but I cant seem to find how long the stock FD TC is....Oh Im deployed so I cant measure mine.....
:drive: :poke: :gruffy:

Offline mdpalmer

« Reply #14 on: May 31, 2011, 12:28:21 PM »
What throttle body cable bracket is that you are using?

I'm using the Samberg bracket...

How long is the stock FD throttle cable? I have been eyeing the Lokar throttle cable but I cant seem to find how long the stock FD TC is....Oh Im deployed so I cant measure mine.....

I gave away my old cable... I remember reading on the club some posts from Dale Clark about throttle cable installation for the rotary setup on several cars he's done personally, he may have some laying around and could take some measurements. I'd PM him or GoodfellaFD3S (Rich), or one of those guys who runs a shop or works on a lot of cars...

Mike
My Build Thread
YouTube Vids