April 18, 2024, 05:43:19 PM

Author Topic: mdpalmer's ls1-fd rx-7 build thread  (Read 149784 times)

Offline mdpalmer

mdpalmer's ls1-fd rx-7 build thread
« on: January 11, 2011, 01:07:48 AM »
Here's another "me too" build thread, mine is very simple and a fraction of what a lot of you guys are doing, but figured I would post up for fun. Some of you guys know my story, I already posted in the "new guy" forum. Kind of random pics/info from what's happened so far, car has been apart for about 3 months now, about 1-2 more months to get her on the road again. Goal for the car is to keep it a fun semi-dd that can hit the track a couple times a year. This is super abbreviated... I'm leaving out tons of details for now... will post up more later.

Here's a recent pic of the outside of the car.

Make a long story short:

-Aways wanted an FD since they came out in '93 (I was freshman/sophmore in HS), really, really love these cars
-Bought my silver '93 back in October 2005
-Motor was low on compression but still drivable
-Rebuilt the rotary with stock turbos and set the car up for street/track/strip/whatever, goal was 300 ish wheel-hp and 250 ish wheel-ft-lb, and, more importantly, to run the car high 12's in 1/4 mile at 110 mph. And to be able to put it on road course/open track day and keep it cool/reliable
-Started tuning the car on my own on the street
-Got the torque itch recently and decided to do the swap
-25k miles on the rebuilt engine and it ran great

Dyno sheet, about 300/260 whp/wtq (dynojet), "non-sequential" turbos, pig rich, 91 octane

Never got the 12 sec slip but did run the car @ 112+ mph vs. a "425 hp" Camaro SS, stock wheels, 245/45/16 toyo TR1 street tires

Best I could do was 13.137 @ 108.22 vs. a lightly modded Evo 9 (read: no exhaust, talked to him after that pass). Same motor/turbo/suspension on my car, with different wheels/tires

I'm no drag racing pro, just doing it for fun... check out 1st pass against Evo in the vid

Right before pulling the motor (about 1 or 2 weeks in fact) I had a track day at Buttonwillow, here in semi-So-Cali. Boy was that fun. Car ran perfect, besides the brakes (didn't bed new pads/rotors in as well as I should have). The guys who set the track up are Corvette dudes, one has a C6 Z06 and the other a ZR1. Both are complete animals... those cars are nuts and are a big part of why I'm doing the swap (torque!). Check out the vid of the Z06 following me. Yeah, I am slow, he could have just drove right around me, but I was out for fun :)

Last shot or so of rotary, night before motor pull.

So I picked up an engine/trans/misc from a semi local guy who was in the middle of a swap on his FD. Fresh rebuilt LS1 with cam/heads, and some other goodies...

Check out his build. Fresh pistons, rods, rod bolts, oil pump, timing chain, z06 clutch/fw/pressure plate, ls7 lifters & trays, ARP head bolts, CNC 5.3l heads, double valve springs, titanium valves/retainers, etc.

Out with the old, gone but not forgotten

ZR1 track buddy showed up right when I was getting to pull the motor, I actually had my phone ready to dial him up to get him over and he magically showed up, awesome.

Put new adjustable height/damping coil-overs on the car. Pettit trak pro, stage 2 (10/8 kg/mm springs, 24 level adjustable dampers).

Rolled car out of garage for first time in 2 months or so, pressure washed engine bay. Check out dog on left, silly pooch!

Clean, empty engine bay /w Samberg engine cradle installed

'nother shot of Samberg cradle in the 'bay

Trans tunnel

I did a bunch of upgrades while the motor was out.

Comp cams rocker arm trunion beaing upgrade

Katech con rod bolts

Improved Racing oil pan baffle

LS6 valley cover mod, had to cut/grind the ls1 block to get this to fit

Motor ready to go in, did this by myself in a about 2-3 hrs.

Subframe/motor mounts

Will post more later... the whole driveline is in the car now (diff, axles, driveshaft, trans mount, etc.), fuel lines are run. Have to do wiring, fill fluids, and hook up cooling and should be able to fire it up in a few weeks.. hopefully!

:)
« Last Edit: January 11, 2011, 01:42:48 AM by mdpalmer »
Mike
1993 SSM FD3S LS1 Rx-7 :o SOLD  :'(
My Build Thread
YouTube Vids

Offline BAD-LSX-7

• Supporting Member
  • Top Fuel
  • Back in Action for 2012
  • View Gallery
    • View Profile
Re: mdpalmer's ls1-fd rx-7 build thread
« Reply #1 on: January 11, 2011, 03:11:21 AM »
nice looks clean. i know a fd on here looks alot like the color of that ZR1 lol
>:( >:(2012>:( >:(

Offline thetastelingers

« Reply #2 on: January 11, 2011, 09:18:32 AM »
Looks a lot like my build!

Good work.
Keep us up on the pictures, etc...
wazzaaaaaaaaaaaapppppp!

Offline BlinD

« Reply #3 on: January 11, 2011, 04:05:48 PM »
Clean build, in for updates

93 BB R1 - LS6 Swapped

Offline BrownBoy

« Reply #4 on: January 11, 2011, 04:10:55 PM »
Look good man, keep up your progress! :)

Offline AHarada

« Reply #5 on: January 11, 2011, 04:22:25 PM »
I was wondering when I'd see an mdpalmer build thread :)

Cool build so far, keep up the good work.  Have you started the wiring yet?
[smg id=6954]

Offline smurf

« Reply #6 on: January 11, 2011, 08:12:37 PM »
nice, love the 1/4 video with the nut "Put up the window"!!

good luck with the build

Offline BoostCrzy

« Reply #7 on: January 12, 2011, 09:28:47 PM »
nice looking build!.....you are in for a great time.... :drive:

1993 RX-7 LS2 - 416whp & 373wtq
- May 2011 ROTM -

Offline mdpalmer

« Reply #9 on: January 12, 2011, 10:06:14 PM »
Thanks guys... I just miss driving the car. Going to be a totally different animal than what I'm used to. Will have to learn to drive all over again, very exciting  8)

Have you started the wiring yet?

Not yet... I danzan converted the f-body harness for the previous owner. I'm going to go thru it, using the info posted in the "for dummies" sticky just to familiarize myself, and to make sure it's in decent shape (dan is the man, but never hurts to have second set of eyes on something). My plan is to work according to those stickies as a guideline... and to bug the shit out of you for a week or two (or however long it takes lol) :) I just want the car to run reliably for now. I'm not nearly as picky as some guys on here about appearance, my car isn't a garage queen, it's a driver... not meant to be in a pageant. BUT, one day, I want to strip out all the unneeded wires as it looks like you've done (nice job BTW)... kinda bugs me deep down inside that there are a few #s of wires I don't need! I'll do that when I pull the dash and get new carpet ;)

nice, love the 1/4 video with the nut "Put up the window"!!

good luck with the build

lol no kidding.. they get pissed because they have so many newbs/retards/inexperienced people, me included... that strip sucks because they have 500 cars for the entire day... you get about 3 runs (MAYBE 4 if you stay til the very end and most of the other guys go home) all day. makes it hard to get any consistency to your driving.

nice looking build!.....you are in for a great time.... :drive:

thanks dude, I'm so excited  :D what wheels/suspension/tires you running on your car they look sickkkk!

EDIT: Rota Grid 18x8.5 +30 up front and 18x9.5 +15 out  back...

Man your car looks great, just checked out your thread...
Mike
My Build Thread
YouTube Vids

Offline mdpalmer

rear end/diff/differential
« Reply #10 on: January 16, 2011, 12:44:09 AM »
Some pics of my rear end setup.

-stock 4.10 rear gear/diff
-rx7.com nylon diff bushings
-samberg diff cradle/brace

old, stock, liquid filled diff bushing (look at big crack in bottom... rear end always seemed loose maybe this is part of it!)

diff mount /w rx7.com (rotary performance) nylon diff bushings

diff w/ samberg cradle ready for driveshaft

driveshaft in place
Mike
My Build Thread
YouTube Vids

Offline mdpalmer

engine bay shot, water pump/thermostat install + water temp sender
« Reply #11 on: January 16, 2011, 12:55:27 AM »
Installed new water pump/thermostat today. 180*F hypertech thermostat. I reused my VDO temp sender from my rotary. 1/8-27 NPT thread. I drilled the water pump housing with 11/32 bit and tapped it 1/8-27 NPT. Spent about 2 hours just cleaning up the Aluminum flakes everywhere! Put some thread sealant and torqued the sender down.

Got all the other crap on top of the motor installed, minus the EVAP (charcoal canister line goes to solenoid that goes to intake mani/throttle body), and PCV (I have the LS6 setup, goes from valley cover to intake mani)... have to make the connections for fuel and water and that's it... have to do wiring now... also have to bend the oil dipstick tube to get the hood to fit.

Also have to install clutch master and connect clutch line, hook up power steering. I'm leaving A/C out for the time being.

« Last Edit: January 16, 2011, 01:11:05 AM by mdpalmer »
Mike
My Build Thread
YouTube Vids

Offline Pez

Re: engine bay shot, water pump/thermostat install + water temp sender
« Reply #12 on: January 16, 2011, 01:14:29 AM »
Installed new water pump/thermostat today. 180*F hypertech thermostat. I reused my VDO temp sender from my rotary. 1/8-27 NPT thread. I drilled the water pump housing with 11/32 bit and tapped it 1/8-27 NPT. Spent about 2 hours just cleaning up the Aluminum flakes everywhere! Put some thread sealant and torqued the sender down.

Coulda just put that in the passenger side head.  Autometer makes an adapter for like $6. :yay:
FC/FD plug and play wiring harnesses, LSx swap AC systems, LSx swap power steering lines.

Offline mdpalmer

Re: engine bay shot, water pump/thermostat install + water temp sender
« Reply #13 on: January 16, 2011, 01:33:54 AM »

Coulda just put that in the passenger side head.  Autometer makes an adapter for like $6. :yay:

^ Dude, that adapter is a POS. With the sender I had, which is not the stock one... it's a VDO sender that goes to a gauge I have in the cockpit (has numbers, not an "idiot" gauge, can't stand "idiot" gauges), it didn't fit at all. Only way it would fit with this sender is if I drilled out the adapter... and I did that and there was hardly any material left on the adapter. I didn't trust it... so I plugged the pass side head hole and did this.  :)
Mike
My Build Thread
YouTube Vids

Offline Pez

« Reply #14 on: January 16, 2011, 01:40:27 AM »
Well, I've used it before.  Used it on 1/8 NPT senders without a hitch.  I've also tapped the WP, but the 27TPI is a little too fine for me to trust in aluminum.  I don't like to do it if I don't have to.

That said, I'm sure neither of us will ever have issues with the adapters or the tapped WP...
FC/FD plug and play wiring harnesses, LSx swap AC systems, LSx swap power steering lines.