May 07, 2024, 01:38:09 PM

Author Topic: BlinD's 93 R1 Build: Redux - LS Transformation  (Read 23565 times)

Offline BlinD

BlinD's 93 R1 Build: Redux - LS Transformation
« on: October 07, 2010, 01:06:48 PM »
Might as well make this my intro/build thread all in one convenient package  :yay:

For those that don't frequent the 'club, the original build thread is here: http://www.rx7club.com/showthread.php?t=866053

The car started life as a 1993 BB R1 with a few minor performance mods, until I got my claws into it. When it was all said and done, I was putting down 312 rwhp/243 ftlbs of torque at a 'safe' 15psi tune. The car ran outstanding and was almost ready to see it's first track event until massive fail occurred. Unbeknownst to me, Mazda had the brilliant idea to not barb the end of the stock FPR vacuum/boost reference line. So with my newfound 15psi of pressure it walked the vacuum line right off the bung and leaned out the motor. Kapow. Apparently you are supposed to use a smaller diameter viton hose and lots of zipties to hold the line on. Wish someone gave me the FYI ahead of time.

I was then faced with the dilemma. Buy a new shortblock and keep it rotary powered, or 'step it up' and build a track monster that I wouldn't feel guilty beating on/driving with any frequency.

The choice was pretty clear and now I just have to get over the 'shock' of parting her out after all the work I put into it.

So now I am at the early stages of R&D to figure out the best route possible to jump into the LS platform.

These are my running build sheets to weigh in on both required parts and overall price break. If you see anything missing, wrong or a better route to go, feel free to voice your concerns.
(Note: These are updated rather frequently)
Samberg/Hinson Parts:

Upgrade Parts:

Cost to Date:

For those interested:
Hinson Parts Cost:

I will keep this thread up to date and try to include as much information as possible, hopefully to make this a good reference for anyone else looking to do their swaps.
- Jon
« Last Edit: January 19, 2011, 08:46:13 AM by BlinD »

93 BB R1 - LS6 Swapped

Offline 93silverbullet

• Supporting Member
  • Launching!
  • Faster than a speeding ticket...
  • View Gallery
    • View Profile
Re: BlinD's 93 R1 Build: Redux - LS Transformation
« Reply #1 on: October 07, 2010, 01:21:04 PM »
Welcome to the darkside!
Richard.

Offline MPbdy

« Reply #2 on: October 07, 2010, 01:42:10 PM »
Welcome :)  I've seen your pictures on the club before.

How serious are you about tracking the car?  I don't see anything on the list about an oil pan baffle or an accusump.

Jags that run headers fit.  Someone else can confirm but I've read about a lot of fitment issues with the Hinson headers.

What are your power goals?  Any engine plans yet?

Offline BlinD

« Reply #3 on: October 07, 2010, 01:47:59 PM »
My first term goals is to get the car running in a 'stock-ish' state, either as a LS1 or LS2 platform, then getting a feel for the car.

From there, build it up to meet my power goals. I figure I would start out in some local Auto-x events and step it up to track events once I feel comfortable with the car.

I'm aware of the JTR headers, and I like the fact that they come w/ v-band clamp ends, but I've found little to no feedback about them beyond they seal really well w/ just RTV since they are milled flat.

93 BB R1 - LS6 Swapped

Offline MPbdy

« Reply #4 on: October 07, 2010, 02:13:46 PM »
Whatever engine you wind up with you will need a f-body, or commonly called camaro, ls1 oil pan.  It is the shallowest at the front of the engine and it will clear the bumpsteer correction.

To go with that I would start with an improved racing oil pan baffle to help with oil control.

http://www.improvedracing.com/product_info.php?cPath=2_3&products_id=30&osCsid=318852102473b33dba271822cbe44376

What has finally worked for me is that I have decided to finish the car now, and then add on to it for track days later.  To go to the next step it would need bigger brakes, accusump, safety (roll bar, seats, belts), and possibly some other coolers.  It sounds like you're in a similar situation.

Offline gnx7

« Reply #5 on: November 08, 2010, 02:13:10 PM »
looks good so far....

If you start out with an LS1 Fbody setup and down the line want to do an LS2/LS3 etc stroker it is all plug and play as the outer dimensions of the engines are the same.  There are adapter boxes for the 24x and 58x reluctor wheels if you don't get it changed out.

You are going to love the power everywhere that the LSx powerplant delivers.
'93 FD: 441ci/AllPro LS7 heads/intake en route, T56 Mag, 8.8" IRS, HolleyHP, DavisTechTC 10.32@137mph cats/full exhaust. 165mph 1/2 mile (old LS7)
'93 FD LS9 turbo, T56 Mag, Samberg 8.8" solid axle, 9.35@163mph 197mph 1/2 mile
`69 Chevelle: alum 5.3, GTS76 turbo, ChiseledPerf A/W, T56 Magnum,Ford 35 spline 9".CTS-V interior http://www.norotors.com/index.php?topic=18234.0
old yellar....440rwhp/FD sold but not forgotten: http://www.ponycars.net/scc.htm
I sell new T56 Magnums/McLeod clutch/T56 rebuild kits/Holley EFI/FIC injectors and all BrianTooleyRacing parts.  norcalmotorsport@gmail.com

Offline BAD-LSX-7

• Supporting Member
  • Top Fuel
  • Back in Action for 2012
  • View Gallery
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: November 09, 2010, 11:06:04 AM »
i have a ls7 going into mine and i didnt wana do one of the box's so i have a ls1 crank the we using the reluctor wheel off of.  :yay:
>:( >:(2012>:( >:(

Offline BlinD

« Reply #7 on: November 12, 2010, 11:01:07 AM »
Build sheets have been updated, motor has been ordered and now the ball is rolling.

Had yesterday off and got the car to this point:

Motor should be out by Saturday.

Motor in route: 2002 Camaro SS - 33k original miles, 6 month warranty, LS6 goodies from the factory.

93 BB R1 - LS6 Swapped

Offline Demon

« Reply #8 on: November 12, 2010, 11:06:05 AM »
6 month warranty include a 300 shot of nitrous? :D
'93 RX7 (co-project with macnewma)
'95 Supra Turbo Billet GT42-76

Offline digitalsolo

« Reply #9 on: November 12, 2010, 11:06:24 AM »
Nice motor, looks like you're making progress.   :)
Blake MF'ing McBride
1988 Mazda RX7 - Turbo LS1/T56/ProEFI/8.8/Not Slow...   sold.
1965 Mustang Coupe - TT Coyote, TR6060, modern brakes/suspension...
2007 Aston Martin V8 Vantage - Gen V LT4/TR6060, upper/lower pullies, headers, tune.
2021 Tesla Model 3 Performance - Stock...ish.

Offline BlinD

« Reply #10 on: November 15, 2010, 09:18:23 AM »
Motor is out, time to clean up that engine bay..

I'd really like to clean up the body harness and delete some stuff I don't need, but have had little to no luck finding what needs to stay vs threads saying "just cut out what you want, just use the factory wiring diagram".

Obviously the boost sensor harness and coil igniter harness can be traced and removed, but what else can be? I was debating on airbag removal after reading the airbag thread, so that would be one more system.

Thoughts?

93 BB R1 - LS6 Swapped

Offline BlinD

« Reply #11 on: November 22, 2010, 03:35:00 PM »
Updates:

Motor finally arrived Friday. They attempted to deliver it on Wednesday, but they forgot to put a pallet underneath the crate, so they couldn't move it off the truck with a pallet jack. /facepalm

Motor partially uncrated. So clean you can eat off of it.

Motor party:

I have the harness off the motor, all the emissions stuff deleted and the headers off. I am waiting for Pez to get back to me so I can ship off my harness/PCM for modding.

Quick question: The recycler also sent me a Bosch Throttle Position Controller computer, do I need this for the swap? I've never seen anyone mention it before on the forums.

93 BB R1 - LS6 Swapped

Offline HXMan

« Reply #12 on: January 04, 2011, 08:11:14 AM »
GL with the swap, and you aren't going to need that bosch thingie... :)  Looks like a nice garage to be doing all the work in.
94 RX7 w/LS2 Swap
ASE Master Technician

Offline BlinD

« Reply #13 on: January 04, 2011, 08:47:18 AM »
Thanks for all the comments guys, I've been severely lacking in updates, but there is LOTS of progress made.

I will have pics/notes up shortly.

PS: seems like most of the past two weeks went to helping BoostCrzy get his car running first  ;)

93 BB R1 - LS6 Swapped

Offline BoostCrzy

« Reply #14 on: January 04, 2011, 09:08:56 AM »
Yes I really do appreciate all the help from Blind getting parts for my swap....He very graciously diverted attention from his build to help me with mine....and even gave me a couple of his own parts so I could finish my swap immediately!....a great friend and guy all around....I cant thank you enough bro!....now lets get your setup in and running!

-Jack

1993 RX-7 LS2 - 416whp & 373wtq
- May 2011 ROTM -