September 15, 2019, 04:23:24 PM

Author Topic: My "Blue Devil" matchbox racer build 2.0  (Read 36939 times)

Offline 65imp

Re: My "Blue Devil" matchbox racer build 2.0
« Reply #165 on: July 05, 2019, 02:38:10 PM »
Hey, any chance you know where to pick up that honeycomb mesh?  Looks great!
absolute power corrupts absolutely  :yay:
93 FD widebody - destroked
69 Suburban - positive manifold pressure
65 Impala - 5.7
59 cad  - WIP
53 spartan - shed status

Offline tai-lun

« Reply #166 on: July 05, 2019, 07:06:07 PM »
Hey, any chance you know where to pick up that honeycomb mesh?  Looks great!

I'll be at the bodyshop next week, I'll ask them for you. My front mesh on the bumper while new, black and higher end is not the honeycomb. There is some coming in to replace it as I agree it looks way better and has a touch of that OEM look. I really like how it looks in the front fender vents, and it cuts down on the immense rock and dirt flying into the back fenders too :)

« Last Edit: July 06, 2019, 03:46:13 PM by tai-lun »
Tai - 93 LS2 Ronin Widebody FD
Build Thread: https://www.norotors.com/index.php?topic=9172.150

Offline tai-lun

« Reply #167 on: July 06, 2019, 08:28:04 PM »
Some progress today on something I've been lacking, a bit of heat management. My LS2 typically sits around 195-206F if I am sitting in traffic for a good while (cholking everyone around me with exhaust fumes :D ), so my rad and fans keeping things ideal so far. However, in the cabin it gets a bit on the warm side especially in the summer where I can see the heat radiating out the vents and it warms the windshield where my cowl is too.

In an attempt o reflect some of the heat away (key word is attempt) from the struts, firewall and where the 13B cooked my framerails before - gold reflective tape was used. I will be continuing more down behind the intake when I take it off later, but for now I wanted to get the ball rolling. I didn't want to get excessive like a lot of engine bays I've seen use this stuff, and wanted to have smoother transitions where possible and limit overlapping.

Next up after the 7's day meet I'll be workign on finally installing my Katech valve covers that I painted wrinkle red... probably 5 years ago or longer, with the coil relocations. I am looking for a nice compact catch can to go where my ABS unit used to be if anyone can reccomend one or has one they are not using that would fit.

Offline digitalsolo

• Administrator
  • Top Fuel
  • View Gallery
    • View Profile
    • LS1FC.com
« Reply #168 on: July 07, 2019, 10:57:44 PM »
Looks nice!

My friend Alex makes some nice catch cans:  http://www.neukin.com/

-Blake
Blake MF'ing McBride
1988 Mazda RX7 - Turbo LS1/T56/ProEFI/8.8/Not Slow...   sold.
1965 Mustang Coupe - TT Coyote, TR6060, modern brakes/suspension...  project car
2016 BMW 428i xDrive Gran Coupe - Completely stock...ish

Offline tai-lun

« Reply #169 on: July 24, 2019, 05:05:26 AM »
Looks nice!

My friend Alex makes some nice catch cans:  http://www.neukin.com/

-Blake

Nice, I'll probably pick up the race unit with the dual filters. It should fit well where the ABS was and more opportunity to get out the gold refelective tape :D

Offline tai-lun

« Reply #170 on: July 24, 2019, 05:12:21 AM »
Some shots from sevens day this year, a much smaller meet as the main rotary shop in town Forcefed Racing moved and is setting up their new shop. Was still good to meet up with the local sevens, see how everyones builds have been coming along and a Eunos even came by. I wasn't the only swapped car there too, a 5.0L swapped FC was there too. Unfortunately I was chatting too much and didn't get many shots. One of the media guys was there though, so when those shots come in I'll post them up.

Needs more gold hehe

Offline Venom13132

• Staged
  • 95 RX-7 LS1 T56 FEED Widebody
  • View Gallery
    • View Profile
    • Venom Speed Shop
« Reply #171 on: July 24, 2019, 07:21:52 AM »
I forget and am too lazy to look.   What headlights are those?
1995 RX-7 - LS1, T56: LS6 Intake, Feed wide body, Feed CF Side skirts, Ray's Gram Lights, K-Sport coilovers, 99 spec\ tails and spoiler, SpeedHut Gauges, Aeromotive fuel pump, TwinZ Rear Diffuser
2000 Ford Excursion - V10 Tow monster
2006 BMW 650i - 4.8l V8 6-Speed Manual - Daily Driver

Offline tai-lun

« Reply #172 on: July 27, 2019, 03:24:59 AM »
I forget and am too lazy to look.   What headlights are those?

Rotary Extreme's old DOT HID kit with carbon buckets. They were based on the RE-Amemiya ones, but instead of using IPF non-projectors, they have Bosche units in them in case officer hardass comes around asking about your lights. I have been pulled over from front and rear lights because they don't think they are OEM in the back and for no DRL's upfront which is needed in Canada.

Currently, I am looking at replacing the HID system with LED while keeping the projectors so I can do away with ballasts, the HID "warmup", power drain they have when you turn them on, and the heat... so much heat from HID's.

Offline tai-lun

« Reply #173 on: July 27, 2019, 04:07:17 AM »
Managed to fit in a solid track day, first in a long time and since changing a lot on the car. It was a good shakedown day and pretty quickly showed what things need to be addressed before heading to the much higher speed track possibly later in the fall. Since this is what I originally intended the car to be built for, my focus is back on tunning and adjusting for more seat time fun, anything extra can go.

The Good:
- AP brakes from Sakebomb Garage, I was running Ferodo ds2500 pads on all four corners instead of the Hawks and do they ever work well! Still one of my favourite additions in recent years, there is so much confidence in the brakes that you can really get a grip of how soon to brake and pressures for corners. I have no ABS, just a bias controller and no lockups as your foot feels directly what is happening.
- MGW shifter, much better than last time out with the OEM shifter and Steeda handle, the rubber boot did tear though so that wasn't so great...
- Tires, still on my Pilot Super Sports, they are not continuing the tires in the sizes I use so, unfortunately, I'll have to find some new rubber when the season is up.
- Aero, front end has immense grip compared to last track day on Kumho XS which are more competition tires. No understeer or oversteer, the car felt very neutral outside of when it was getting to the much higher speeds. I still don't want to run a wing but a light backend is not the greatest as we know in the FD.
- Clutch, LS7 with RAM flywheel was very nice. Easy on the shifting and ol' left leg all day.
- LS2, not a hiccup. An absolute workhorse that rewarded being pushed, this is why we do what we do here.

The Not So Good:
- Heat in the radiator, it was a hotter day on track (37C/98F) and I could feel and see it with heat radiating out the hood vents. I know LS's run hot but I was sitting at 220-238F water temps before heading in for hood up cooling off. I'm going to duct the rad to help with airflow and add on an oil cooler too, but I'd like to get my temps durring lapping a bit lower if possible. Street driving I usually sit at 190-195F.
- Suspension, my Quantums are great. But, they are a circuit focused coilover so I was not getting enough damping in the rear with our more bumpy track. I can hear and see where I'm bottoming out and raising the rear is not going to fix this. A more suited "road race" setup is going to have to be put in. Off the shelf Ohlins, Stance, Fortune etc... are okay, but the cage has changed how much more the suspension works not rather than the chassis and suspension flexing.
- Seats, Mazdaspeeds are coming out - Recaro Pole Positions likely to replace them.
- AC condenser, I don't have AC and everything but the condenser in the dash is out. But, the heat was enough that remnants of what was there was leaking out and dripping onto my headers. Time to pull the dash again and finally rip out the last part of the system.
- Keeping cool, my helmet was disgusting between sessions. Everyone's was, but with no AC it was that much hotter and that means faster fatigue during the day. Some kind of in-car cooling is going to have to be figured out. I've been looking at cool shirts (my god are all the systems expensive), and I'll continue to look at what the spec Miata drivers are doing as they are very DIY and have less space than us for coming up with a solution.

Open to any ideas of course on the keeping the coolant and driver cool! I'm running the Misimoto single pass rad for our swap, the Samberg I had before was good but had a big hole in the top that I didn't need and also sat at the opposite angle I am looking for.

A few pictures of course, none from on track, unfortunately. Will make sure to bring the camera next time and ask someone to get some shots and video.

Heading to pre-grid for first session. All clean which of course would not last.

Evidence of a good track day, along with no damage or broken parts of course.

Offline wickedrx7

« Reply #174 on: July 27, 2019, 10:20:16 AM »
Sounds fun!  Car looks awesome.

Oil cooler is a must, it will help with coolant temps as well. My guess is if your coolant temps were that high, you were approaching 275 on the oil.

I would ditch the cheap radiator and get a dual-pass Howe or Ron Davis radiator.

Iím interested to see what you do for a cool suit.

1993 Touring, 2012 L99, T-56, Ronnin 8.8, Ohlins, Speedhut, Samberg and lots of custom parts
Build Thread - http://www.norotors.com/index.php?topic=19354.0
Pictures - www.flikr.com/wickedrx7

Online Cobranut

« Reply #175 on: July 27, 2019, 08:40:06 PM »
I bought one of these for my Pro-Challenge racer.
I disassembled it and removed a restriction in the system to get more flow, and powered it off 12v from the car, with a resistor and a 2-speed switch in case of over-cooling.
I also built an aluminum mount to hold it on the right side rear bulkhead.

I haven't finished the car yet, nor have I bought a shirt, but the quick-connectors seem similar to those used by Cool-Shirt.

I'm interested to see how well it works, but it is a nice compact system.

Edit: I must've forgot the link, I'm an idiot sometimes. LOL
https://www.ebay.com/itm/BREG-POLAR-CARE-CUBE-Cold-Therapy-Machine-W-Adapter-Multi-Use/273943307119?hash=item3fc84b236f:g:~jgAAOSwEWZdOROB
« Last Edit: July 29, 2019, 08:29:07 PM by Cobranut »
1995 FD, 7.0 Liter stroked LS3, T56, 8.8, Samberg kit.

Offline digitalsolo

• Administrator
  • Top Fuel
  • View Gallery
    • View Profile
    • LS1FC.com
« Reply #176 on: July 29, 2019, 02:23:43 PM »
Could you make a fresh air duct that pops in with the sunroof open and feed it to the helmet?

Agreed on the upgraded radiator and oil cooler (or coolers).   Factory R1 position would work well for them, if properly ducted.
Blake MF'ing McBride
1988 Mazda RX7 - Turbo LS1/T56/ProEFI/8.8/Not Slow...   sold.
1965 Mustang Coupe - TT Coyote, TR6060, modern brakes/suspension...  project car
2016 BMW 428i xDrive Gran Coupe - Completely stock...ish