September 15, 2019, 04:41:57 PM

Author Topic: Huge Market for LSX FD exhaust  (Read 8835 times)

Offline jeffp5

Re: Huge Market for LSX FD exhaust
« Reply #15 on: January 03, 2012, 11:56:05 AM »
All we really need is a Y-pipe to go from the headers to a FD cat back. That would work for most swappers. I know I prefer to use the RB dual exhaust on my builds.

This is exactly what I need. Is there any chance of this happening? It seems pretty simple, to go from the headers to an RX7 aftermarket cat back.

I was going to order supplies to fabricate my own, but if there was any chance of it i would hold off.

93 RX7/LS1/T56
05 Jeep Grand Cherokee Limited hemi

Offline Jordan Innovations

• Supporting Member
  • Top Fuel
  • Competition Mil-spec wiring/electronics since 2005
  • View Gallery
    • View Profile
    • Jordan Innovations
« Reply #16 on: January 03, 2012, 02:13:08 PM »
If I had someone local to us in Irwindale come by with a factory exhaust, I'd be interested in taking a look.  We could make something like that pretty easily (and cheaply).

Offline jeffp5

« Reply #17 on: August 13, 2012, 12:46:10 PM »
just to bring this back up, i ended up making mine out of mandrel bends, a flange, a y-pipe, and a couple short flex pipes.

93 RX7/LS1/T56
05 Jeep Grand Cherokee Limited hemi

Offline perf0rmance

• Pre-Staging
  • View Gallery
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: August 15, 2012, 03:27:56 PM »
HEY PHIL  :wave:

I'm local if that helps... and I don't have an exhaust system setup yet (hint hint)
 :gruffy:

Offline perf0rmance

• Pre-Staging
  • View Gallery
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: September 19, 2012, 02:34:02 PM »
month later bump

Offline project dc2

« Reply #20 on: September 20, 2012, 01:13:05 AM »
sorry about that performance. didnt see your post.  do you have a set of our headers installed ?

Offline perf0rmance

• Pre-Staging
  • View Gallery
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: October 08, 2012, 04:12:23 PM »
whoa, didn't know you replied.
hmm.. probably should have subscribed LOL (it's not automatic for some reason)

No, I don't have headers... yet. Got stock manifolds at the moment

Offline stu2211

Huge Market for LSX FD exhaust
« Reply #22 on: October 22, 2012, 01:24:08 PM »
If I had someone local to us in Irwindale come by with a factory exhaust, I'd be interested in taking a look.  We could make something like that pretty easily (and cheaply).

Looks like thisll happen this week lol

Offline Tbkonwso

Huge Market for LSX FD exhaust
« Reply #23 on: March 11, 2013, 01:31:54 PM »
You can use my car as test subject :)

Offline RAPID

« Reply #24 on: August 11, 2013, 02:51:09 PM »
Jordan Innovations :  I think there's a market for max-effort (or at least higher-effort) headers for the FD community.  Stamped collectors are fine and all for most people, but there are so many people running around with VERY similar setups that making a truly IDEAL set of Tri-Y's would be a worthwhile move IMO.  I'll play with the numbers, but at 1 3/4" I think the exits may be compatible with JTR's.

I think a Tri-Y would suit my goals. I would sacrifice some top end power to have a broad flat torque curve that would be predictable coming out of fast corners. I've attached a pic of the Doug Thorley Tri-Y headers for a 2010 Camaro. Also attached some Yates Nascar Tri Y headers.  First thing I notice is the stamped 2-1 collector off the primaries, a cost saving thing I guess. The thing that really gets me is the length. The primaries on the Nascar are much longer before the merge to two pipes and the two secondaries have a long run to the collector. Is this how a Tri-Y is tuned to a RPM range ?
Looking at the BBK 1594, the cylinder pairings are similar to the Thorleys.  It makes me wonder if the 1594 could be converted to Tri-Y ?
Joe

Offline RAPID

« Reply #25 on: August 11, 2013, 05:21:30 PM »
These Flowmaster Tri-Y collectors look interesting too.
« Last Edit: August 11, 2013, 05:27:57 PM by RAPID »
Joe

Offline Jordan Innovations

• Supporting Member
  • Top Fuel
  • Competition Mil-spec wiring/electronics since 2005
  • View Gallery
    • View Profile
    • Jordan Innovations
« Reply #26 on: August 11, 2013, 10:34:13 PM »
Just putting 4-2-1 on each bank isn't going to net you additional power ~ the reason why 4-1 is so prolific is that most of the time, it makes more power up top (which sells headers) and doesn't lose anything in the middle.

I played around with Tri-Y on my cam'd LS6 setup in software vs. the 1 7/8" JTR headers (approx 32" primary length, decent collector but not ideal) and couldn't come up with a Tri-Y that made more power in the middle and made more up top.  If you have a setup that needs a tuned header (like you're trying to lift a certain area of the torque band) you can play with it, but all three things you posted are radically different from each other.
- Thorley production headers probably aren't even made by him, and look like crap.  Pfadt has some Tri-Y's that actually look good and perform well, but not significantly better than a good long-tube 4-1 and sound funny
- Nascar Tri-Y's are tuned (just like the rest of the engine) for the rev-range that those cars run all the time - it's a max-effort high-rpm header
- Flowmaster's Tri-Y is a production piece whos diameters and lengths between primary and secondary collectors may or may not work for your setup - and believe me when I say that changing either off of ideal REALLY makes the overall result suck compared to a 'simple'/off-the-shelf 4-1 header

Offline RAPID

« Reply #27 on: August 13, 2013, 12:33:26 PM »
Thanks for your insights. I just find headers fascinating right now and remember how popular Tri-Y was 30 years ago. I've never heard a set and had no idea they sound different. I had no idea there was a program to model exhaust. I guess that program would say the Flowmaster is just a long collector that looks like tri-y. I was thinking because it's aluminized steel it could be cut up to make a custom Tri-Y cheaply, despite it's D-Tube technology .
The 4-1 merge collector project dc2 uses, is there a close up pic of it somewhere ? This makes the most vacuum at the collector, right ? Does a ORY and cat back harm the effect ?
Joe

Offline XLR8

« Reply #28 on: November 11, 2013, 04:24:08 PM »
An optional Y-pipe with the headers would be sick!!   :cheers:
Doing my swap soon, and looking at options.  I can see how the R&D of developing a full exhaust may not be worth it. 
However, with adding an optional "Y-pip" it does 4 things.

1.  Reduces fabrication times and R&D involved.
2.  Allows the buyer to use any standard cat-back he may want or already have.
3.  Allows the buyer to have a true bolt on system. 
4.  Draws the buyer to your product because of ease of installation.

I can definitely say more people are coming to the Dark Side....

Cheers
94 MB Base...416 LS3 Stroker......Build Thread

Offline project dc2

« Reply #29 on: November 19, 2013, 02:24:15 AM »
one of the hardest parts is that there is a slight variation due to welding . also shipping would be killer due to the length of the mid pipe exhaust. No to mention headers are barely moving off the shelf.