March 19, 2019, 07:41:00 PM

Author Topic: Mefarri's 1995 FD- LS3 Turbo build- Fucking up where Jimlab left off  (Read 189660 times)

Offline mefarri

• Ye Olde OCD Woodshop
  • Top Fuel
  • View Gallery
    • View Profile
Re: Mefarri's 1995 FD- LSX Turbo build- Picking up where Jimlab left off
« Reply #15 on: April 14, 2011, 04:53:04 PM »
  What's a 76/78mm turbo in comparable Garrett stuff?  Like a GT42?

precision uses garrett wheels

I know they used to, but for a while now they've been under their own direction.  They came out with the CEA wheel tech long before Garrett came out with their equivalent GTX wheel tech.
"I'm not sure what your intent was because I don't speak "dumbshit", but next time, start your own thread. "

-Jimlab

"Otherwise it looks like something I can build over a weekend, if I spent the first day watching TV."

-Blake motherfucking McBride

Offline mefarri

• Ye Olde OCD Woodshop
  • Top Fuel
  • View Gallery
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: April 14, 2011, 04:56:01 PM »
dont skimp on cooling

I would recommend the GTS, smallish physically, affordable, and will support your goals while still giving great responce

gnx7 made over 950rwhp on one with a ls3

nothing is more compact than the C6's..... you guys can take your tubulars all you want, i will take my reliability, compactness, OEM plug acess,  and OEM heat sheilds anyday

and another thing on DP size,  i believe gnx7 was on a 3"

also.... i just got my cutout done, and i am surprised with the results

My exhaust is a full 3" with two magnaflow mufflers in series........ and with the cutout open (very near the turbo) i only gain about a half # of boost and i can not tell any difference in spool

which shows that the 3" with good mufflers really isn't any restriction at the ~600whp (7psi now), and it is very quiet

ass mufflers will kill you though

all i am saying is i don't see the need trying to stuff a 4" DP in these cars

my 2 cents, haha

good luck, i hate you for the car you bought

I remember reading about his car and LS1-FD's but I couldn't remember what turbo they were using.  I plan on stayin 6 liter and not stroking it.  I do'nt see how 3" isn't restricting the power.  You're talking 950whp on a single 3"... I wonder how much is left on the table?   I could do maybe 4" DP to the tranny tunnel down to 3" back or something.  I don't plan on using a cutout in the car.  Not really worth all the hassle like you said.

thanks, hate you too.  :yay: (jk your build is sick)
"I'm not sure what your intent was because I don't speak "dumbshit", but next time, start your own thread. "

-Jimlab

"Otherwise it looks like something I can build over a weekend, if I spent the first day watching TV."

Offline zbrown

« Reply #17 on: April 14, 2011, 04:57:05 PM »
maybe some of the new billet stuff, but not most of the regular stuff

na i didn't mean to say it wouldn't hold a guy back at  the 900whp+ realm, just that it could be done

and also that it is not a restriction atleast in the 600rwhp area
8.50/165

Offline mefarri

• Ye Olde OCD Woodshop
  • Top Fuel
  • View Gallery
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: April 14, 2011, 05:00:34 PM »
The only part that is difficult in the equation is the cooling system.   Adding the A/C condenser up front + FMIC means you really need a serious radiator and cooling fan if you want "stock like" cooling performance.    A dual pass radiator and something in the range of a Taurus fan (3000+ CFM, fully shrouded) will do it, but fitting a large T4 framed turbo in that position is going to be a challenge, even with the radiator pushed forward 4-5".

I'm not trying to be a downer in any way, just making sure you are thinking of some of the details I've spent hours poring over already.   :)

Another thing to ponder is your clearance near your A/C lines with a 4" downpipe right there.

I welcome ALL criticism.  Telling me my idea sucks for a varying amount of reasons is not going to hut my feelings.  That's why I'm posting, because you guys know more than me about a lot of this stuff.    :cheers: 

I planned on using a custom HOWE radiataor with big ass AN fittings and the best fan I could use.  Seems like the Taurus it is.  Of course it will all be fully shrouded and I might even put a pusher fan on the front side of the radiator if you guys think that'd help. 

The only thing that sucks about having this clean ass car is that I can't just hack into it to clear things.  Not that I'd do a BS job, but just that I couldn't cut or pound certain things to "clearance" them.  POOR ME.   :halo:

-Jimlab

Offline mefarri

• Ye Olde OCD Woodshop
  • Top Fuel
  • View Gallery
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: April 14, 2011, 05:05:20 PM »
maybe some of the new billet stuff, but not most of the regular stuff

na i didn't mean to say it wouldn't hold a guy back at  the 900whp+ realm, just that it could be done

and also that it is not a restriction atleast in the 600rwhp area

Ah yea.  This will be the Billet series.

My friend did an analysis for his Mr2 that was making like 585whp and found that his 3" was a restriction past 600whp so he went to 4".

So 76mm Precision is about the same as a GT42.  Just good to be able to compare.  The new GTX4202 is capable to 1200 HP according to Garrett and it uses a 76mm compressor wheel.

http://www.turbobygarrett.com/turbobygarrett/images/catalog/catalog_common/Garrett_Catalog_V4_2_of_2.pdf

-Jimlab

Offline mefarri

• Ye Olde OCD Woodshop
  • Top Fuel
  • View Gallery
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: April 14, 2011, 05:14:57 PM »
Also meant to add, the downpipe will be wrapped and the turbo will be cermic coated and have a turbo blanket.  The manifolds will also be ceramic coated.

-Jimlab

Offline BeasTT

• Supporting Member
  • Top Fuel
  • Twinz for teh winz
  • View Gallery
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: April 14, 2011, 05:47:29 PM »
OK, now that I'm home....

I just checked, and a 4" downpipe will fit under my headers :)

I'd mimic my motor setup if I was you. Best bang for the buck. Just use a stock crank instead of an Eagle crank.

I'd also recommend looking into the Mishimoto dual pass radiator. -20 and -16 fittings fit perfectly where the hose inlet/outlet are, it's cheaper than a Howe, and their customer service is absolutely amazing.

I can get you a set of 317 heads cnc ported by Lingenfelter with a 5 angle valve job, decked, and assembled for $700 plus shipping. That includes the cost of the heads. Just send me the valves and springs.
Nick Shultz

1993 Rx-7
371ci, Twin Billet 6265's, Twin A2W's, ProEFI 128, RacePak IQ3,
McLeod RXT, Speedfab 8.8 solid axle, QA1s, FIC 2150cc, Magnafuel 4303

Offline zbrown

« Reply #22 on: April 14, 2011, 06:15:15 PM »
Quote from: BeasTT
I'd mimic my motor setup if I was you. Best bang for the buck. Just use a stock crank instead of an Eagle crank.

Iron 370's unite
8.50/165

Offline ablake211

« Reply #23 on: April 14, 2011, 07:06:11 PM »
 8)

Offline mefarri

• Ye Olde OCD Woodshop
  • Top Fuel
  • View Gallery
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: April 14, 2011, 07:56:12 PM »
Yea I'm pretty much set on iron 370. I'd stay stock crank too.  By forged internals I meant pistons and rods. 

Zbrown, I'm gonna pm you about something tomorrow.

So the question is, if I can get ported heads for 700, should I just get a block and crank and then piece everything together?  I know gnx7 has a doweled iron 6 liter block....

-Jimlab

Offline Jordan Innovations

• Supporting Member
  • Top Fuel
  • Competition Mil-spec wiring/electronics since 2005
  • View Gallery
    • View Profile
    • Jordan Innovations
« Reply #25 on: April 14, 2011, 08:19:14 PM »
Interesting choices you've made in your build direction.  That's going to be a heavy ass beast.  For cooling, look into Spal's High Output (HO) series, their 12" HO fan asks for a 50A fuse/breaker lol, pulls over 35A in free air.  We used two of them (and a 1.5" deep trapezoidal shroud) on a high-boost LSA that we couldn't keep cool and never had a problem, even in Vegas 114* heat.

I'd also go C6 manifolds, along with most people who have played with V8 turbos.  It's difficult to beat the efficiency/packaging/reliability combo, and your tubular setup will not be considerably lighter.

Please, PLEASE, don't put XXR's on this car.  They're the "SS Autochrome" of wheels.  Laughter will ensue.

Offline digitalsolo

• Administrator
  • Top Fuel
  • View Gallery
    • View Profile
    • LS1FC.com
« Reply #26 on: April 14, 2011, 08:24:35 PM »
Interesting choices you've made in your build direction.  That's going to be a heavy ass beast.

That's true, might even hit 3050 lbs!

For cooling, look into Spal's High Output (HO) series, their 12" HO fan asks for a 50A fuse/breaker lol, pulls over 35A in free air.  We used two of them (and a 1.5" deep trapezoidal shroud) on a high-boost LSA that we couldn't keep cool and never had a problem, even in Vegas 114* heat.

So...  4x the price for fans that aren't more compact and draw more energy?

I'd also go C6 manifolds, along with most people who have played with V8 turbos.  It's difficult to beat the efficiency/packaging/reliability combo, and your tubular setup will not be considerably lighter.

I actually agree with Jordan.  ;)

Please, PLEASE, don't put XXR's on this car.  They're the "SS Autochrome" of wheels.  Laughter will ensue.

Oh no, the pompous drifter douchebags will make fun of him!

I get tons of compliments on my "POS" XXR wheels.   Most of the people that don't like them have cars that are 2, 3, 4 or more colors (hey, like yours!) or have been bounced off of several walls and pieced together with zip ties.   :D
Blake MF'ing McBride
1988 Mazda RX7 - Turbo LS1/T56/ProEFI/8.8/Not Slow...   sold.
1965 Mustang Coupe - TT Coyote, TR6060, modern brakes/suspension...  project car
2013 Focus ST3 - Stage 1 BPU

Offline BeasTT

• Supporting Member
  • Top Fuel
  • Twinz for teh winz
  • View Gallery
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: April 14, 2011, 08:34:50 PM »
Yea I'm pretty much set on iron 370. I'd stay stock crank too.  By forged internals I meant pistons and rods. 

Zbrown, I'm gonna pm you about something tomorrow.

So the question is, if I can get ported heads for 700, should I just get a block and crank and then piece everything together?  I know gnx7 has a doweled iron 6 liter block....

Depends on how easily you can get all of the engine covers and related bolts. I stumbled upon that brand new forged short block and luckily Blake had all the covers for it. Speaking of, IIRC he still has all the covers from a 98 LS1. I'll make up a list of bends and material I have in my headers up to the collectors.
Nick Shultz

1993 Rx-7
371ci, Twin Billet 6265's, Twin A2W's, ProEFI 128, RacePak IQ3,
McLeod RXT, Speedfab 8.8 solid axle, QA1s, FIC 2150cc, Magnafuel 4303

Offline gnx7

« Reply #28 on: April 14, 2011, 08:34:56 PM »
great car to start with!  That paint job alone is probably $5-7K.

I have a turbo kit for an FD for sale if you are interested.  Setup to make stupid power if you want to.  4" downpipe.
Plus have a (2) 6.0 iron blocks.  1 has doweled/pinned main caps and the other is stock.  In addition a stock LS1 crank.
Good rods for 1000rwhp are $400-500.  A little more if you upgrade the rod bolts.  Mildly ported production heads can make 1000rwhp with enuf boost.

Looking forward to the progression of this car.  Do you still have the polished aluminum suspension pieces on the car?  I remember that bling....
'93 FD: 441ci/AllPro LS7 heads/intake en route, T56 Mag, 8.8" IRS, HolleyHP, DavisTechTC 10.32@137mph cats/full exhaust. 165mph 1/2 mile (old LS7)
'93 FD LS9 turbo, T56 Mag, Samberg 8.8" solid axle, 9.35@163mph 197mph 1/2 mile
`69 Chevelle: alum 5.3, GTS76 turbo, ChiseledPerf A/W, T56 Magnum,Ford 35 spline 9".CTS-V interior http://www.norotors.com/index.php?topic=18234.0
old yellar....440rwhp/FD sold but not forgotten: http://www.ponycars.net/scc.htm
I sell new T56 Magnums/McLeod clutch/T56 rebuild kits/Holley EFI/FIC injectors and all BrianTooleyRacing parts.  norcalmotorsport@gmail.com

Offline ablake211

« Reply #29 on: April 14, 2011, 08:37:06 PM »
Why c6 manifolds over truck manifolds?