September 15, 2019, 03:55:12 PM

Author Topic: WHICH WELDER TO BUY?  (Read 14617 times)

Offline b20forlife

WHICH WELDER TO BUY?
« on: February 23, 2011, 09:35:03 PM »
so i am planing to buy my own little welder to fab up some stuff for my car. i live 90 miles away from phoenix were there are real fabricators unlike in my small town. so i plan to just buy a small welder which can tig and weld aluminum and some stainless. well i found 2 options in my price range. trying to stay under $800 so postt up if there is a better option than what i have chosen

1. Clarke Hot Shot Spool Gun Welder, Model# WE6441 $400
     seems simple to use and has a spool gun which will let me weld aluminum and some stainless.

2. Lincoln Electric Weld Pak 140 HD Wire Feed Welder $524+ $200 spool gun

i think the lincoln is a better welder but not sure. ill just be welding up my intercooler pipping, and cross over pipes for my turbo set up along with tabs for intercooler and radiator. so not going to be doing anything crazy that i would need a commercial welder for. i will practice alot before starting to weld on my vehicle. any advice is welcome along with welder options thanks

Offline digitalsolo

• Administrator
  • Top Fuel
  • View Gallery
    • View Profile
    • LS1FC.com
Re: WHICH WELDER TO BUY?
« Reply #1 on: February 23, 2011, 09:43:27 PM »
You can do stainless with a regular MIG, you don't need a spool gun (though pretty may be another story without a lot of practice, my work is an excellent example).

I wouldn't do aluminum with a MIG, even with a spool gun, personally.

I'd also go with the Lincoln.    My take is spend the spool gun money to get a higher amp welder (220 volt) and have someone TIG the aluminum for you.
Blake MF'ing McBride
1988 Mazda RX7 - Turbo LS1/T56/ProEFI/8.8/Not Slow...   sold.
1965 Mustang Coupe - TT Coyote, TR6060, modern brakes/suspension...  project car
2016 BMW 428i xDrive Gran Coupe - Completely stock...ish

Offline Rosey

• In The Bleach Box
  • View Gallery
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: February 23, 2011, 10:19:40 PM »
Neither of those welders are TIG welders.  MIG welders can be great for aluminium, but not really so much for the kinds of things we as auto enthusiasts tend to weld (piping, brackets, thin stuff etc...).  I would just look for an entry level TIG from a major brand, which will probably be used for your kind of price range (check craigslist).  A lincoln square wave or miller diversion series TIG would probably be some good ones to look out for, but I can't say I've used either personally. 

Other option is to get a more basic welder, like the ones you listed, but you might end up doing the fabbing/tacking at home and bringing it somewhere that does welding to finish the welds if you want good quality welds.

Offline Andrew R

• Supporting Member
  • Launching!
  • Superunnatural
  • View Gallery
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 01, 2011, 08:14:28 AM »
The price on the Lincoln + spool gun puts you right at what the Millermatic 180 is going for...  I have been using my buddies for over a year now and love it. It's what we have used for 16g body work the whole way up to trans/motor mounts/cages -great all around performing machine that is very simple to use -it will basically do anything you need to -with the exception of aluminum. We just have a friend do our alum work.

If you plan on getting serious and have time to practice a nice TIG is the way to go -If you looking for simplicity I would go with the Miller -you just won't be able to do alum.  Go with something 230v if you go MIG  -all around better performing machines in my experience.

Offline digitalsolo

• Administrator
  • Top Fuel
  • View Gallery
    • View Profile
    • LS1FC.com
« Reply #4 on: March 01, 2011, 09:51:59 AM »
FWIW, I really like my Millermatic 135, the only thing I wish is that I'd have just gotten a 180, so that I had some more leeway on how thick I can go.   I'm able to do 3/16" but 1/4" is really at the edge of the machine without hitting it with a torch and getting it HOT first.     I'd say figure out what you think you need, and add another 20% to that, better to have more than you need than not enough.  ;)
Blake MF'ing McBride
1988 Mazda RX7 - Turbo LS1/T56/ProEFI/8.8/Not Slow...   sold.
1965 Mustang Coupe - TT Coyote, TR6060, modern brakes/suspension...  project car
2016 BMW 428i xDrive Gran Coupe - Completely stock...ish

Offline Speedfab

• Administrator
  • Top Fuel
  • View Gallery
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: March 01, 2011, 11:18:25 AM »
REAL Spool guns are for building trailers and truck bodies, not small detail work.  Little cheap ones are worthless IMO.  If you buy either of those, you'll regret it.  Buy a decent smal mig machine, practice, and save your money to either sell that and buy a tig later or keep it and buy one outright.

unless you own a turbo ls9 rx7 you do not know what the fuck you are talking about.

Offline Speedfab

• Administrator
  • Top Fuel
  • View Gallery
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: March 01, 2011, 11:25:56 AM »
better to have more than you need than not enough.

My personal credo, and good words to live by.

You can always take your foot off the throttle, but you can't push it any further than the floor.

unless you own a turbo ls9 rx7 you do not know what the fuck you are talking about.

Offline dream36realms

« Reply #7 on: March 01, 2011, 12:01:23 PM »
Quote from: Speedfab
You can always take your foot off the throttle, but you can't push it any further than the floor.

I am sigging this one. my old sig is getting old
日までに仕事および夜までに虐殺。
を下って、人類と

Offline LNF_AJ

« Reply #8 on: March 01, 2011, 11:30:22 PM »
Has anyone had any experiance with a miller dynasty 200 tig?

Offline Speedfab

• Administrator
  • Top Fuel
  • View Gallery
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: March 02, 2011, 01:15:41 AM »
I have a Dynasty 350, they are great machines.

Offline FabChild

• Staged
  • View Gallery
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: March 02, 2011, 04:02:05 AM »
I have a Dynasty 200, I absolutely love that machine.
1987 TurboII
Dynasty 200SD
CoolMate1... :D  https://www.facebook.com/JLRFAB

Offline rx7lee

« Reply #11 on: March 02, 2011, 08:05:38 AM »
im pertty happy with my holbart 185 mig welder. its 220v 185amps dose great for me
:drive: 93 rx7

Offline LNF_AJ

« Reply #12 on: March 02, 2011, 09:58:48 AM »

Would you say it's worth it to spend the money to get the 350 right off the bat?

Offline Speedfab

• Administrator
  • Top Fuel
  • View Gallery
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: March 02, 2011, 10:55:43 AM »

Would you say it's worth it to spend the money to get the 350 right off the bat?

Only if this is your JOB and/or you own a welding and fabrication business.  If you want one for a hobby/light production welder, I wouldn't even buy a Miller 200, I'd avoid the "blue tax" altogether and buy an HTP Invertig.  In fact, I have one here and run it more than any welder in the shop, and their customer service is the best I've ever seen.

http://www.htpweld.com/products/tig_welders/tig201.html

Offline gnx7

« Reply #14 on: March 02, 2011, 08:04:25 PM »
I have a Miller Diversion 165.  It weighs only 50lbs and is very portable.  Can do just about anything I need.  Exhaust work (s/s), aluminum, etc.
http://store.cyberweld.com/mitigwedi165.html?gclid=CMaRn56WsacCFQI8gwod7jXxCA

For anything thick as in steel roll cages.... I can use my buddies Lincoln MIG 350. 

'93 FD: 441ci/AllPro LS7 heads/intake en route, T56 Mag, 8.8" IRS, HolleyHP, DavisTechTC 10.32@137mph cats/full exhaust. 165mph 1/2 mile (old LS7)
'93 FD LS9 turbo, T56 Mag, Samberg 8.8" solid axle, 9.35@163mph 197mph 1/2 mile
`69 Chevelle: alum 5.3, GTS76 turbo, ChiseledPerf A/W, T56 Magnum,Ford 35 spline 9".CTS-V interior http://www.norotors.com/index.php?topic=18234.0
old yellar....440rwhp/FD sold but not forgotten: http://www.ponycars.net/scc.htm
I sell new T56 Magnums/McLeod clutch/T56 rebuild kits/Holley EFI/FIC injectors and all BrianTooleyRacing parts.  norcalmotorsport@gmail.com