January 17, 2019, 03:52:37 PM

Author Topic: FC Explorer 8.8 Diff Kit  (Read 135092 times)

Offline largeorangefont

• Top Fuel
  • I steer with the gas pedal.
  • View Gallery
    • View Profile
Re: FC Explorer 8.8 Diff Kit
« Reply #45 on: April 09, 2011, 12:01:12 AM »
Mockup axle is in route to our axle vendor as we speak. We're be looking to them for recommendations on materials and strength options that folks can scale up or down.

To Andrew's comment, we're pretty confident in our diff placement as the goal was to minimize cutting and on car modifications.  That said, it's looking like the smaller flange and/or pinion yoke is likely.  We don't want to go any higher because axle boots start to interfere with the rear diff mounts and, as mentioned, fuel and brake lines become an issue.  We're also finding some left/right placement variations between cars so that's the second reason to go smaller at the pinion connection.  In some ways this is easier if you just cut it all out.

Charlie just paid for $37 for the smaller pinion flange (thunderbird supercoupe) at his local Ford dealership so that's not terrible.

Tousley Ford may even have that flange cheaper, but $37 is a good price for it.
Quote from: cool
Sell it to spacevomit.  He'll finish it.

Offline Aaron Venable

« Reply #46 on: April 14, 2011, 04:30:21 PM »
Looks good, I'll be going this route when my last TII blows up

I have a couple Q's..

1) What would be the price point for an aluminum rear mount? This, I would like to have.

2) Has an inverted pedestal front mount been considered? Solo, or in conjunction with the existing front mount. It could be made with a flange that matches the body to easily align for welding (hi-tech mspaint document attached). Even permanently fixed, the location looks like it would allow for the Mazda diff to bolt back in. And, with a set of Porsche 930 style cv's and the Ranger yolk, it looks like the diff could be installed/removed with the subframe installed.

Offline frijolee

« Reply #47 on: April 14, 2011, 04:44:41 PM »
I have a couple Q's..

1) What would be the price point for an aluminum rear mount? This, I would like to have.

2) Has an inverted pedestal front mount been considered? Solo, or in conjunction with the existing front mount. It could be made with a flange that matches the body to easily align for welding (hi-tech mspaint document attached). Even permanently fixed, the location looks like it would allow for the Mazda diff to bolt back in. And, with a set of Porsche 930 style cv's and the Ranger yolk, it looks like the diff could be installed/removed with the subframe installed.

Thanks for the kudos and interest.  As to your questions.

1) TBD, if a solid front is required it will mostly likely be included by default.  However, I can't imagine this would be add significantly to the cost.  Part of the reason we haven't released pricing numbers is that we need to be sure we know exactly what the kit contains and how we intend to price potential upgrades.  Focus now is on getting the test cars driving and beating the hell out of this.

2) I like the art  :cheers: makes me smile but gets the point across nicely.  To be honest we didn't really look into top mounting with any great detail.  The issue with it is that we would have to figure out a way to tie into something structural up there and that's not trivial plus it would be harder for folks to index where this goes.  At the end of the day it seemed easier to keep the attachment means generally the way Mazda intended it.  The pinion flange does extend beyond the subframe lip so we'd need to drop the subframe out of the way in either case.

We are captureing the top surface of the mount, we're just doing it with a bolt in bracket (upside down L shape).  Reminds me that I need to shoot a picture of this...
LS2 stroker FC, Mandeville big brakes, widebody, etc
Build thread:  http://www.norotors.com/index.php?topic=1274.0
www.roninspeedworks.com

LargeOrangeFont says: "Joel is right, and I love Joel. But his car sounds like the wrath of God."   ;)

Offline ALLslowNOshow

« Reply #48 on: April 14, 2011, 04:52:22 PM »
What about a swapping out the subframe crossbeam for a custom one that goes over the front of the diff instead of under it like the stock one?
86 GXL - LQ9/T56

Offline Aaron Venable

« Reply #49 on: April 14, 2011, 05:53:21 PM »
shoot, you could write a cnc program off that mspaint picture  :)

Now I see what the two fastener locations are for. My biased concern is just in the leverage of the beefy lower mount acting on the clamshell subframe. My suggestion for indexing it would be with the pedestal mounted to the front and the diff mounted up from the rear. Adjust angle, tack, remove diff and finish welding.

The custom subframe is an idea I've entertained for quite a while. There's not alot of room to go over the driveshaft, but I think under could be done quite easily. That's still 10 mounting points to jig up, making for an expensive way to remove the diff without dropping the subframe. I think some strength could be gained using 4130 tubing, I've even drawn out a double a-arm setup all in tubing (not in mspaint), but time and time again, I go back to subframe modification ideas for cost reasons.

keep the ideas coming though (maybe in another thread), but there's definately something here for this "other" bad part of the rx7

Offline frijolee

« Reply #50 on: April 14, 2011, 07:10:56 PM »
What about a swapping out the subframe crossbeam for a custom one that goes over the front of the diff instead of under it like the stock one?

Unfortunately I don't see any way that the added benefit would justify the additional cost for something like this.  We're trying to keep this kit simple and relatively inexpensive so as to be able to reach as broad an audience as possible.
www.roninspeedworks.com

LargeOrangeFont says: "Joel is right, and I love Joel. But his car sounds like the wrath of God."   ;)

Offline andrewb70

« Reply #51 on: April 17, 2011, 09:20:44 PM »
Driveshaft installation and removal can be facilitated by the use of a two piece transmission yoke. The C3 Corvettes had a similar problem and GM solved it by using such a yoke. Strange makes a nice billet 27 spline yoke that will work with a T56.

Andrew

Offline DavidPHumes

« Reply #52 on: April 22, 2011, 03:15:49 PM »
Hey all,

I will be testing the diff setup as well. Any thoughts on proper gears for my setup? I have a T56 and am at around 400RWHP.

I'm thinking I'm gunna do 3.73 gears with the SportTrac LSD... any thoughts? What are most people planning on running? They seem super expensive around here... junkyards have them listed for $300-500. Seems like more than everyone else pays, lol.   :confused:
FC, L33, E85, TC76, 8.8" solid axle, 1.80 PG - Parted Out
NA Miata, FM coilovers, FM sway bars, Hard Dog roll bar, 949 subframe braces - Daily Driver

Offline project dc2

« Reply #53 on: April 22, 2011, 03:25:03 PM »
i just got my diff in  8.8  rear end 373  i paid  600 through LKQ but it comes with a warranty

Offline largeorangefont

• Top Fuel
  • View Gallery
    • View Profile
« Reply #54 on: April 22, 2011, 06:57:02 PM »
Hey all,

I will be testing the diff setup as well. Any thoughts on proper gears for my setup? I have a T56 and am at around 400RWHP.

I'm thinking I'm gunna do 3.73 gears with the SportTrac LSD... any thoughts? What are most people planning on running? They seem super expensive around here... junkyards have them listed for $300-500. Seems like more than everyone else pays, lol.   :confused:

I got mine for 200 shipped. The 3.73s that come in the diff will be a great street gear for a 400WHP car. I will probably end up running 4.10s with mine and a TrueTrac diff because the car will be used mostly on the track, but even 3.73s would run pretty well on the track, or if you run larger tracks it may be a better choice.

Offline boostjunky

• Jeff A.
  • View Gallery
    • View Profile
« Reply #55 on: April 23, 2011, 02:40:32 AM »
I am very interested in this kit once it is completed. I have a fully built stroked LS1 in my car now and the rear end is virtually the only thing left stock in my car (surprised it has even held this long) It's starting to make some noise now and I'm pretty sure it's going to commit suicide this summer. Would love to have this as a viable option to put an 8.8 in as I am quite mechanically inclined but do not have the resources to fabricate something like this up on my own. Seems like a good solution for me.

Do you have any sort of ballpark completion date? I read through the thread and didn't see any mention of it

-Jeff A.

-Jeff A.

2013 F-150 Platinum EcoBoost-chipped (current)
2012 F-150 Platinum EcoBoost (sold)
2010 VW GTI (sold)
1989 RX-7 LS1 (present)
1992 Civic hatch K20A-R (stolen)
1995 Eagle Talon TSi AWD 16g (sold)

Offline largeorangefont

• Top Fuel
  • View Gallery
    • View Profile
« Reply #56 on: April 23, 2011, 12:03:56 PM »
All the beta testers should be on the road within a couple months. Ronin is working with the beta testers to get everything figured out (axle options, driveshaft options, yokes, etc.) to make this a very easy upgrade that you don't have to wait for parts to complete. 

Offline frijolee

« Reply #57 on: April 23, 2011, 11:20:04 PM »
ETA is always a hard question for R&D projects but barring any major issues best guess would be this summer for a wide release.  We don't want to release something before we have full confidence in it so if we find something we want to change delays are always a possibility. 

That said, we've added a few folks to our tester group recently who preferred not to wait for the production version.  We don't need any more given the spectrum of cars we have signed up but that's an option for others if you don't mind getting something "pre-production" that hasn't been formally proven yet.  Contact me via PM directly if you can't wait.
www.roninspeedworks.com

Offline Bowtie7

« Reply #58 on: April 24, 2011, 09:41:52 PM »
I have all my welding and fitment completed. Waiting on axles and to have a driveshaft built. I am currently running a carbonfiber shaft but will test fit with a steel shaft until everything proves to work well and will then have a carbon shaft made. I am using the Mazdaspeed bushings on the diff and crossmember and the fit on the diff mount was very good.
Mazcare build #10 1988 FC LS2 power now with Ronin Exploder diff setup

3 fingered willy

« Reply #59 on: April 24, 2011, 10:26:48 PM »
I have all my welding and fitment completed. Waiting on axles and to have a driveshaft built. I am currently running a carbonfiber shaft but will test fit with a steel shaft until everything proves to work well and will then have a carbon shaft made. I am using the Mazdaspeed bushings on the diff and crossmember and the fit on the diff mount was very good.

Good to hear! I just took my rear out and fixed an issue with pushing oil out while driving. I have an extra  X member and thanks to Ray, I now have an exploder housing. tho its empty.

My rear diff mount was base off the 8.8 rock crawler type diff cover from balistic fabrication.com . I built my own setup, but one thing I had to over come was the diff wanted to push all the fluid out while running down th road. So today I made a deflector plate to fit the inside of the diff. 20 minutes of running on jackstands at 1500 rpm's in OD showed no more leakage. I'm HAPPY! :D

I'm really interested in this setup tho, because I have all but the axles to set up another explorer diff. Only thing I need is axles stubbs an the diff cover and I got another 8.8 setup ready! I'm thinking about a spool for all out drag racing. I would really like balls to the wall results from all who took the risk on this! I'm all about supporting the guys on this forum and Joel and the boys are really putting a good effort out on this! :D

Alass, I M POOR! ;)