December 13, 2018, 01:34:37 AM

Author Topic: FC Explorer 8.8 Diff Kit  (Read 132015 times)

Offline frijolee

Re: FC Explorer 8.8 Diff Kit
« Reply #30 on: March 30, 2011, 10:55:39 AM »
Thanks fellas...  Glad to see good progress from our testers.  Anthony we should figure out a time to get together this week.
LS2 stroker FC, Mandeville big brakes, widebody, etc
Build thread:  http://www.norotors.com/index.php?topic=1274.0
www.roninspeedworks.com

LargeOrangeFont says: "Joel is right, and I love Joel. But his car sounds like the wrath of God."   ;)

Offline V8-rx7

« Reply #31 on: March 30, 2011, 12:05:26 PM »
Joel, give me a call when you get a chance.
86 RX7 Under reconstruction Twin Turbo LS1/T56 8.8 IRS  
93 RX7 MB Touring Stock Rotary with some bolt ons

Offline project dc2

« Reply #32 on: March 31, 2011, 02:12:06 AM »
eta ?

Offline frijolee

« Reply #33 on: March 31, 2011, 11:51:48 AM »
eta ?

R&D takes time and I don't want to set false expectations by throwing out a date that's too aggressive nor to dampen hopes by throwing out dates with a lot of margin in them.  Right now we're still in process of getting test cars built up.  Suffice it to say we need to know that this is all we want it to be prior to to releasing the kit.

If you're in a terrible hurry shoot me a PM and we'll look at adding testers (just means what you purchase will be unproven, other than DIY comparables by others)... 

www.roninspeedworks.com

LargeOrangeFont says: "Joel is right, and I love Joel. But his car sounds like the wrath of God."   ;)

Offline Bowtie7

« Reply #34 on: April 03, 2011, 12:07:37 AM »
Progress report-I got my Mazdaspeed diff bushings on Friday and pressed them in today. Nice fit in the Ronin diff mount. I installed the diff into the chassis and have noted a couple of places that will need to be trimmed to clear the fuel lines but very small issues. the biggest thing I see at this time is that the pinion flange is very close to the subframe. Too close in my opinion. Is there a smaller pinion flange available than the one that comes on the Exploder diff? Did I miss the memo? I'll likely get the front mount welded in on Monday and post pics then. Looks like the driveshaft measurement will be somewhere around 38.5" from diff flange to output shaft. I will remeasure when everything is finallized. Any news on axle measurements?
Mazcare build #10 1988 FC LS2 power now with Ronin Exploder diff setup

Offline V8-rx7

« Reply #35 on: April 03, 2011, 12:34:01 AM »
I have a T2 axle welded up that is with Joel as of yesterday.

As far as the flange goes we need to either run a pinion yoke or run the smaller T-bird/ Mustang flange which is .75" smaller. But in our car I am going to run a yoke the 1350 yokes measure 3.75" as opposed to the 5" explorer flange.

Anthony

Offline Bowtie7

« Reply #36 on: April 03, 2011, 01:42:41 PM »
Thanks for the input on the pinion flange/yoke. Hopefully we can get a volume break on the axles.
Mazcare build #10 1988 FC LS2 power now with Ronin Exploder diff setup

3 fingered willy

« Reply #37 on: April 06, 2011, 07:32:11 PM »
Found an alternative to the DSS. have NO price Ifon the but hte guy is in Florida!

http://cvaxles.com/index.html

You guys in Florida should check him out! ;)

Offline DavidPHumes

« Reply #38 on: April 08, 2011, 11:14:46 AM »
I sent my money yesterday for the mounting kit. Hopefully I should be up and running within a month! I would also be cool with going in for some axles... better than paying the DSS $600 for some :P

What do you guys suppose is the best material to have a driveshaft made out of? I'm only @ ~375WTQ but have bigger plans for next year.
FC, L33, E85, TC76, 8.8" solid axle, 1.80 PG - Parted Out
NA Miata, FM coilovers, FM sway bars, Hard Dog roll bar, 949 subframe braces - Daily Driver

Offline andrewb70

« Reply #39 on: April 08, 2011, 01:04:30 PM »
Progress report-I got my Mazdaspeed diff bushings on Friday and pressed them in today. Nice fit in the Ronin diff mount. I installed the diff into the chassis and have noted a couple of places that will need to be trimmed to clear the fuel lines but very small issues. the biggest thing I see at this time is that the pinion flange is very close to the subframe. Too close in my opinion. Is there a smaller pinion flange available than the one that comes on the Exploder diff? Did I miss the memo? I'll likely get the front mount welded in on Monday and post pics then. Looks like the driveshaft measurement will be somewhere around 38.5" from diff flange to output shaft. I will remeasure when everything is finallized. Any news on axle measurements?

I was looking at the latest pictures of the Ronin mount and noticed that the position of the diff is about 1-1.5" lower compared to my set-ups. I knew that the flange was going to get close to the rear crossmember, so I positioned the diff up as high as possible. This of course requires a slight modification to the fuel lines that run exactly over the top of the diff. This concern should be addressed in the design of the mount, even if slight modifications are required to the flue line routing. As a customer I would much rather move some fuel lines instead of having to remove and replace the pinion flange.

Andrew

Offline V8-rx7

« Reply #40 on: April 08, 2011, 02:44:04 PM »
The orginal design sat about 3/16" - 1/4" higher than these. But this means relocating the fuel line bracket that sits up there. For me that is not an issue since I removed those lines completely. But we can't go any higher do to the raised portions on the diff hitting brake lines and other things up there.

The cobra diff is slightly easier to package in that sense because the case is smaller on the top side vs. the explorer case.

Anthony

Offline project dc2

« Reply #41 on: April 08, 2011, 02:59:07 PM »
 ready to go on the testers =)

Offline frijolee

« Reply #42 on: April 08, 2011, 04:22:20 PM »
Mockup axle is in route to our axle vendor as we speak. We're be looking to them for recommendations on materials and strength options that folks can scale up or down.

To Andrew's comment, we're pretty confident in our diff placement as the goal was to minimize cutting and on car modifications.  That said, it's looking like the smaller flange and/or pinion yoke is likely.  We don't want to go any higher because axle boots start to interfere with the rear diff mounts and, as mentioned, fuel and brake lines become an issue.  We're also finding some left/right placement variations between cars so that's the second reason to go smaller at the pinion connection.  In some ways this is easier if you just cut it all out.

Charlie just paid for $37 for the smaller pinion flange (thunderbird supercoupe) at his local Ford dealership so that's not terrible. 
www.roninspeedworks.com

3 fingered willy

« Reply #43 on: April 08, 2011, 06:22:31 PM »
Mockup axle is in route to our axle vendor as we speak. We're be looking to them for recommendations on materials and strength options that folks can scale up or down.

To Andrew's comment, we're pretty confident in our diff placement as the goal was to minimize cutting and on car modifications.  That said, it's looking like the smaller flange and/or pinion yoke is likely.  We don't want to go any higher because axle boots start to interfere with the rear diff mounts and, as mentioned, fuel and brake lines become an issue.  We're also finding some left/right placement variations between cars so that's the second reason to go smaller at the pinion connection.  In some ways this is easier if you just cut it all out.

Charlie just paid for $37 for the smaller pinion flange (thunderbird supercoupe) at his local Ford dealership so that's not terrible.

For those that dont mind scrounging around the bone yard, you might find that part for little to no expence! Depending of cource on 1, how honest you are, and 2, how much work your willing to do to save a buck! Its the T bird flange. And if you look for it you may also find the one that fits the Ford Ranger which is a standard Ujoint type yoke, with the little ujoint retainers clamps and 4 bolts. If its an 8.8, it should interchange with no issues! :D

Offline DeaconBlue

« Reply #44 on: April 08, 2011, 09:31:44 PM »
If you are moving the centerline of the axles as they exit the differential either vertically or front to back compared to the stock positions, please watch the angles on the CV joints - especially at full squat.  There could be some binding issues or strength issues due to any increase in those angles.