September 25, 2018, 03:15:05 PM

Author Topic: FC Explorer 8.8 Diff Kit  (Read 126478 times)

3 fingered willy

Re: FC Explorer 8.8 Diff Kit
« Reply #15 on: February 20, 2011, 07:28:17 PM »
I was hoping my subframe dropping days was gonna come to an end.

Anyways, can we get a break down of what the $1800 consist of?

Dropping the subframe is not that hard. If you have the tools, more than one jack and a couple jackstands you have have it out of the car in 30 minutes.

As a rough list you will need:

02-05 Explorer diff and at minimum the complete Explorer inner CVs
TII outer CVs
Custom halfshafts to mate Explorer inner CVs to TII outer CVs
Driveshaft with proper yokes (this will need to be longer than the C4 driveshaft)
Ronin Explorer Diff mounting kit

You will need to source your own diff and Explorer inners for sure. Ronin will provide the mounting kit and at minimum recommendations of where to source the correct driveshafts, yokes, and custom halfshafts needed to complete the conversion. Some of these auxilary parts may become productized by Ronin but I can't speak to those exact details. Rest assured that nothing will be left up in the air.

I will be one of the initial testers for this kit, and as such will be working with the Ronin team to finalize the exact parts list.

Tip to anybody sourcing there own explorer diff. Cut the drive(dont if you can avoid it) at the front yoke on the truck your getting it from. Your probably going to need about 36 inches of shaft/tube to fab a new drive shaft from the existing shaft. As for CV shafts, if you get the whole CV shaft for this diff, you may save a buck or 2 on remachining the outer splines to fit the mazda CV's. This can be done at alot of local machine shops. But if your like me and nobody in your area can do this,  rcvperformance.com will do the work for you. However, if you plan to run big HP numbers and launch on slicks at say 6K RPM's, then go with the DSS axle packages.

My final assembled drive shaft was 34 inches from U joint center to U joint center. Depending on your trans application/ engine kit this will vary quite a bit. So make sure you get enough material to work with. :D

Offline V8-rx7

« Reply #16 on: February 20, 2011, 09:45:46 PM »
When we were pulling the diff out from an Explorer for Joel's diff, the driveshaft was a 2 piece unit with a slip joint in the middle. So this wouldn't work for our use, I don't know if other models are different though.
86 RX7 Under reconstruction Twin Turbo LS1/T56 8.8 IRS  
93 RX7 MB Touring Stock Rotary with some bolt ons

Offline frijolee

« Reply #17 on: February 20, 2011, 11:12:08 PM »
Well since Joel isn't answering the questions, I'll answer a couple...

Man, you step away from the computer for a day and a half and folks get antsy. ;)  I guess I'll call that a good thing as it says I'm not the only one excited about this.

-For Darin (346fc3s).  Thanks for the heads up, I'd far rather learn from your experiences (and those of others) than reinvent the wheel.

-Our rear mount can take any type of bushing that fit OEM FC diff mounts.  For the front, we're using a redundant load path so that the factory Ford front bushing is an option.  That said, Ford used a 12 mm bolt to locate things but all the load went vertically directly in the chassis above.  Since we're forced to support this from below, we're putting that bolt in tension.  Part of the desire for a custom front bushing is that we can upsize the hardware to something with a bit more margin.  We're planning to try delrin first to see how it behaves and go to solid aluminum if required.

-Yes you still need to drop the subframe, but like others said that's not hard.  The upside is that you can install the diff prior to the subframe rather than lifting the whole thing as a floppy noddle if you prefer.  The bummer is that you need to pull one or both wheel knuckles since the inner tulips aren't a bolted junction like the mazda bit (at least with the basic ford inners).

-Clearance on vent tube...  Stock is just a barb with a rubber hose to a remote vent.  We think we have enough clearance for this to route like stock but it's fairly tight.  Worse case we'll just shave the mount locally right there.  I didn't want to make the leave out notch any bigger if I didn't have to.

-The explorer drive shaft won't work IF it has a slip yoke eliminator.  My donor car was 4wd so that might be the difference.  If you've got 36" of shaft feel free to use it.  (I just know someone's going to make that a dirty statement...  :secret:)  I'd love to know for sure if this really the difference so if anyone can validate I'd appreciate it.

-Weight: Anthony's guess is reasonable but without having comparative weights for everything (DS, axles, etc) any info we give you now will be incomplete.  I'm of the opinion that it is what it is and it shouldn't be hugely different than stock given the aluminum diff carrier.  Maybe others with similar finished setups can chime what theirs weighed.  Otherwise a full comparison will have to wait until this is truly finished.

-As to the request on price breakdown.  We're planning to provide the mounting, maybe halfshafts (DSS is the fall back option), and maybe a custom front mount.   You'll source a Ford diff & stub axles, Mazda outer CV's plus whatever rear mounts you want to use, and a drive shaft (albeit to our specs).  $1800 is a TARGET but exact details are TBD. 

Rough budget is:
$1200 Ronin kit and halfshafts (as mentioned this may get broken up some)
$250 diff and inner tulips (I paid $122.13 for my Explorer diff, axles, AND a cut chunk of the DS at my local pick a part's 1/2 off day)
$350 driveshaft

BTW, I'm NOT PROMISING we'll hit that target and obviously if you decide you want to run DSS pro level axles that buget is out the window.  I just wanted to give folks a reasonable number to pitch their significant others with...

-Right now our priority is to get the final placement nailed, get the other test units finished and out to testers, make the decision on halfshafts, and get a few of these functional so we can prove this can take some abuse.

« Last Edit: February 20, 2011, 11:51:16 PM by frijolee »
LS2 stroker FC, Mandeville big brakes, widebody, etc
Build thread:  http://www.norotors.com/index.php?topic=1274.0
www.roninspeedworks.com

LargeOrangeFont says: "Joel is right, and I love Joel. But his car sounds like the wrath of God."   ;)

Offline largeorangefont

• Top Fuel
  • I steer with the gas pedal.
  • View Gallery
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: February 20, 2011, 11:35:10 PM »
An initial thought of mine was to use or modify a Mustang or IRS Cobra driveshaft. If anything I would think either of those would need to be shortened, and a 2 piece slip yoke used.

We will find out what options are available once some measurments are taken.
Quote from: cool
Sell it to spacevomit.  He'll finish it.

Offline DavidPHumes

« Reply #19 on: February 21, 2011, 08:50:47 AM »
What is the ETA on the arrival of this kit? Just want to start setting money aside sooner than later  :chug:
FC, L33, E85, TC76, 8.8" solid axle, 1.80 PG - Parted Out
NA Miata, FM coilovers, FM sway bars, Hard Dog roll bar, 949 subframe braces - Daily Driver

Offline frijolee

« Reply #20 on: February 21, 2011, 12:12:50 PM »
ETA is a hard question given we need to prove everything works right first.  It's a lot harder to make something production worthy than to build a one off.  That's we try not to post too much info early on.

I'd say early summer if we nail this out of the box but that's not a sure thing.
LS2 stroker FC, Mandeville big brakes, widebody, etc
Build thread:  http://www.norotors.com/index.php?topic=1274.0
www.roninspeedworks.com

LargeOrangeFont says: "Joel is right, and I love Joel. But his car sounds like the wrath of God."   ;)

Offline andrewb70

« Reply #21 on: February 27, 2011, 04:55:06 PM »
ETA is a hard question given we need to prove everything works right first.  It's a lot harder to make something production worthy than to build a one off.  That's we try not to post too much info early on.

I'd say early summer if we nail this out of the box but that's not a sure thing.

Developing a product from scratch takes a lot of work. Keep it up. I am looking forward to seeing what the final product looks like.

Andrew

Offline gnx7

« Reply #22 on: March 02, 2011, 02:55:02 PM »
That is looking pretty stout!  Liking that for sure....
« Last Edit: March 08, 2011, 07:43:06 PM by gnx7 »
'93 FD: 441ci/AllPro LS7 heads/intake en route, T56 Mag, 8.8" IRS, HolleyHP, DavisTechTC 10.32@137mph cats/full exhaust. 165mph 1/2 mile (old LS7)
'93 FD LS9 turbo, T56 Mag, Samberg 8.8" solid axle, 9.35@163mph 197mph 1/2 mile
`69 Chevelle: alum 5.3, GTS76 turbo, ChiseledPerf A/W, T56 Magnum,Ford 35 spline 9".CTS-V interior http://www.norotors.com/index.php?topic=18234.0
old yellar....440rwhp/FD sold but not forgotten: http://www.ponycars.net/scc.htm
I sell new T56 Magnums/McLeod clutch/T56 rebuild kits/Holley EFI/FIC injectors and all BrianTooleyRacing parts.  norcalmotorsport@gmail.com

Offline HTh3r0

• Supporting Member
  • Staged
  • Cleanest engine bay crew
  • View Gallery
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: March 21, 2011, 07:20:43 PM »
Nice work so far guys!! I was just talking about how I can't wait for an IRS 8.8 set up for the fc.

If you send me a free one, I promise to abuse the hell out of it for testing/review purposes!!
10.9@128   :bacon:
1990 GXL ls1/t56 up for sale.
http://www.norotors.com/index.php?topic=7089.msg100073#msg100073

Offline project dc2

« Reply #24 on: March 28, 2011, 12:33:11 PM »
do-want ... =( 

Offline Bowtie7

« Reply #25 on: March 29, 2011, 08:09:28 PM »
Quick update. I have the diff cover trimmed off and the mount fitted to the diff. I am waiting on new bushings from Mazdaspeed and can then fit everything to the car and get the front diff mount welded to the subframe. I bought a set of exploder axles today and will hope to fit everything in this weekend and next week so we will have measurements for driveshaft length. Hopefully the west coast bunch will have measurements for axles soon too.
Mazcare build #10 1988 FC LS2 power now with Ronin Exploder diff setup

Offline theantirotor

« Reply #26 on: March 29, 2011, 08:12:17 PM »
How long are the Explorer axles compared to the FC axles?  Way longer?
:bacon:

Offline largeorangefont

• Top Fuel
  • I steer with the gas pedal.
  • View Gallery
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: March 29, 2011, 09:26:42 PM »
I should be able to get my diff installed in a couple weeks for mock up. I am thinking about using the Explorer axleshafts and having them resplined for the TurboII outers. I have to have a friend check it out and see if it is worth it.
Quote from: cool
Sell it to spacevomit.  He'll finish it.

Offline Bowtie7

« Reply #28 on: March 29, 2011, 09:51:38 PM »
How long are the Explorer axles compared to the FC axles?  Way longer?

On first glance they look a good bit longer but I have not laid them side by side to compare. They are beefy for sure.
Mazcare build #10 1988 FC LS2 power now with Ronin Exploder diff setup

Offline V8-rx7

« Reply #29 on: March 29, 2011, 11:13:04 PM »
I should have the final axle measurements tomorrow.
86 RX7 Under reconstruction Twin Turbo LS1/T56 8.8 IRS  
93 RX7 MB Touring Stock Rotary with some bolt ons