December 15, 2019, 03:32:53 PM

Author Topic: My first build '94 CW '06 LS2  (Read 26116 times)

Offline kinger

Re: My first build thread, White '94 FD, '06 LS2 (Near completion!)
« Reply #180 on: January 15, 2018, 12:38:52 PM »
I'll never crimp with Delphi again where I can help it. The complexity of Delphi's product lineup and part numbers is asinine, I wasted so much damn time pouring through datasheets and trying to figure out exactly which connectors and toolage I needed for the Delphi electrical center, even with all of the resources available here.

Dilly Dilly!  I tried to get some delphi connectors for a simple addition of cruise control and said screw it and soldered the wires.  Why is it so hard?  Are there any connectors that come in a 'kit' with the connector, pins, boots, right tool, etc? 

Maybe they are not trying to appeal to the hobbiest. 
93 Touring, 6.3L, T56 Magnum, Mamo RPS BC2 clutch, FAST 90, NW 90TB TB, 8.8, samberg everything, AC, PS, TC, Cruise, LED Tails, HID head lights

Offline Cobranut

Re: My first build '94 CW '06 LS2
« Reply #181 on: January 15, 2018, 03:43:24 PM »
It's a real PITA to figure out the proper connector components.
I wish they would publish an identification guide of some sort.
1995 FD, 7.0 Liter stroked LS3, T56, 8.8, Samberg kit.

Offline freeskier7791

« Reply #182 on: January 15, 2018, 04:46:25 PM »
It's a real PITA to figure out the proper connector components.
I wish they would publish an identification guide of some sort.

It takes a lot of time digging through datasheets and googling to find the right stuff.  Deutsch is easy though if you want a nice alternative and there is a complicated naming system for the metripack and weatherpack connectors that can help you get everything you need.  I am totally lost on anything OEM Mazda though.
https://www.youtube.com/thedriftingdad
1985 Mazda RX7 GSL Drift Car

CCVT

Offline wompa164

« Reply #183 on: January 15, 2018, 07:32:54 PM »
I am pretty handy with datasheets. My biggest problem was that on several occasions, I identified similar parts with (seemingly) conflicting part numbers. In some cases, it was a result a part number being depreciated/superceded. In other cases, it was being made of different material, eg: tin vs silver plating.

There were also certain terms that I was not familiar with and could not manage to get clarification on, eg: 'tongueguard', 'thin stock'. I still haven't really figured out what tang vs. tangless means (to do with how the connector 'locks'), versus 'friction' locking. Note that I am specifically talking about the parts needed to retrofit the Delphi fuse/relay center that other members have had success with (Halfspec, Pez).

What also bothers me is how seemingly slipshot the tooling for crimping these connectors are - the crimping indents in the tool are labeled 'A B C D E' for different size connectors, but no real guidance as to which I should be using for which connector. It's requiring trial and error and then my confidence isn't very high.

Deutsch connectors were much simpler to figure out - five sizes of pins (12, 16, 16 oversize, 20, 20 oversize), two materials (gold vs nickel plated), solid vs stamped.

Offline wompa164

« Reply #184 on: January 16, 2018, 11:30:09 AM »
Just finished integrating my starter cut relay / clutch switch bypass on the front harness: http://www.norotors.com/index.php?topic=26104.0

Offline danny33

« Reply #185 on: January 16, 2018, 01:16:54 PM »
Looking good so far, keep it up. Where in TX are you located? im in Dallas.

Offline wompa164

« Reply #186 on: January 16, 2018, 01:17:56 PM »

Same, in the Richardson area. I just saw your build thread, very nice work and attention to detail.. makes me miss my FC!

Offline digitalsolo

• Administrator
  • Top Fuel
  • View Gallery
    • View Profile
    • LS1FC.com
« Reply #187 on: January 16, 2018, 01:22:04 PM »
Is that kapton tape under the heatshrink?
Blake MF'ing McBride
1988 Mazda RX7 - Turbo LS1/T56/ProEFI/8.8/Not Slow...   sold.
1965 Mustang Coupe - TT Coyote, TR6060, modern brakes/suspension...  project car
2016 BMW 428i xDrive Gran Coupe - Completely stock...ish

Offline danny33

« Reply #188 on: January 16, 2018, 01:26:36 PM »

Same, in the Richardson area. I just saw your build thread, very nice work and attention to detail.. makes me miss my FC!

Thank you sir! i am in Denton, would love to check out the car one day.

Offline wompa164

« Reply #189 on: January 16, 2018, 01:27:43 PM »
Good eye - it is kapton but itís not underneath. I put one loop on each side of the heatshrink to keep it centered over the splice during shrinking, since the heat gun likes to blow it all around.

Offline digitalsolo

• Administrator
  • Top Fuel
  • View Gallery
    • View Profile
    • LS1FC.com
« Reply #190 on: January 16, 2018, 02:26:57 PM »
Good eye - it is kapton but itís not underneath. I put one loop on each side of the heatshrink to keep it centered over the splice during shrinking, since the heat gun likes to blow it all around.

Ahhh!  That makes sense.   I was curious since it would be weird to have it under it, now I get it.  :D
Blake MF'ing McBride
1988 Mazda RX7 - Turbo LS1/T56/ProEFI/8.8/Not Slow...   sold.
1965 Mustang Coupe - TT Coyote, TR6060, modern brakes/suspension...  project car
2016 BMW 428i xDrive Gran Coupe - Completely stock...ish

Offline wompa164

« Reply #191 on: March 27, 2018, 04:37:27 PM »
Making pretty good strides on finishing up my harness. I spent this weekend pruning some more circuits, mainly focused around CPU#2 and removing the security system.

I ran into something really weird - I've found a wire that does not, should not exist according to the Mazda electrical FSMs. On J4-01 (the 8-pin connector for CPU#2) position 2F, I have a R/Y wire where diagrams say there should be none. It runs all the way up, directly to the headlight actuators. I can't find it in either the headlight section or security system sections in the electrical manual either.

As best I can tell, it exists to tell CPU#2 when the headlights are up, probably to enable some logic that allows it to flip them up and down during a security event. I've removed it and the rest of the 8-pin connector entirely.

Probably a long shot to ask, but has anyone run into similar?

Offline wompa164

« Reply #192 on: December 02, 2019, 04:11:27 PM »
Well after not working on this car for 2 years I've finally picked up where I left off, right in the middle of my chassis rewire.

I have finished pretty much everything I originally set out do regarding pruning circuits and reworking things. I'm consolidating all of the relays and power to a Delphi fuse block that a few others have had good luck with, and everything has been loomed with Raychem DR25 (milspec yo). I've learned a lot about harness building through this process, definitely not something for the lighthearted.

I ended up separating the part that snakes along the DS fender into three main sections: power (BTN, B1, B2, Defog, B/R and B/W from ignition), relays (HEAD, HORN, TNS, RETRA) and accessories (lights, motors, horn). I cut the accessory harness and added a connector on both ends for a few reason - I want it to be well-sealed and I want to try my hand at building a new subharness from scratch. It also makes the whole thing a little more serviceable so that if something happens, I don't have to open up the whole thing.

You can see the individual looms in this picture, though it's not very sexy to look at because I'm still waiting to test all the circuits before shrinking the loom:

Just as I was beginning to pick this project back up, I discovered that Holley just released the new Terminator X Max standalone that looks perfect for me and solved a lot of small problems. I got it successfully running last weekend on jackstands after fighting with the cam sensor wire. I had to build a separate harness for the transmission, here's the finished thing:

Here is what I worked on last night, terminating and running all of the circuits to the fuse/relay box:

I bought a new battery mount from Andrew Zieger for the Antigravity ATX30. Perfect fit and finish, really nice piece of kit.

And lastly, here's a partial look at all of the crap I removed from the harness - this doesn't even include all of the airbag wiring.

I'll hopefully be reinstalling the dash and testing circuits in a few days, wish me luck and that the car doesn't burn down

Offline babillaracing

« Reply #193 on: December 02, 2019, 05:21:03 PM »
very nice work sir

Offline Exidous

« Reply #194 on: December 02, 2019, 07:40:06 PM »
In the middle of chassis wiring after two years sounds like the worst place to end/start.
94 BB SBE LS1 Full Mamo top, MS3ProU with TC, RONIN 8.8 and another custom dual 2.5" stainless exhaust. Not too loud with the new resonators!