June 17, 2019, 08:37:32 PM

Author Topic: White 94 FD LS2/L92 build thread  (Read 28244 times)

Offline sonicgroove

Re: White 94 FD LS2/L92 build thread
« Reply #165 on: January 07, 2019, 05:57:14 AM »
[ Guests cannot view attachments ]

-groovin
1987 MAZDA RX-7 LS1 T56 | 1995 MAZDA RX-7 ST PORT BOLT-ON'S ADAPTRONIC PNP | 1994 MAZDA RX-7 TSP 416 LS3 T56 MAGNUM E40 ECM

Offline digitalsolo

• Administrator
  • Top Fuel
  • View Gallery
    • View Profile
    • LS1FC.com
« Reply #166 on: January 07, 2019, 09:54:32 AM »
Progress is looking really good.   Those small details make all the difference.
Blake MF'ing McBride
1988 Mazda RX7 - Turbo LS1/T56/ProEFI/8.8/Not Slow...   sold.
1965 Mustang Coupe - TT Coyote, TR6060, modern brakes/suspension...  project car
2016 BMW 428i xDrive Gran Coupe - Completely stock...ish

Offline sonicgroove

« Reply #167 on: January 08, 2019, 02:23:30 AM »
Progress is looking really good.   Those small details make all the difference.

Thank ya.

I made a new power cable from the main fuse box to the relay box. The previous cable showed signs of wear around the crimped terminal. The wires were beginning to fray and it would only be a matter of time before the terminal breaks away from the cable. I also prefer B crimps if I can help it. Sprayed the mount and waiting for it cure before I reinstall everything. Got the seat back in although in hindsight I should have tested to make sure my separate cabin fuse box operates correctly before I installed the seat. Iíll confirm it works by keying on the car checking if the WB powers up. If not Iíll have to investigate. I finally dropped the car on all 4 wheels for the first time in weeks. Iíll probably zip tie the WB gauge on the steering column temporarily as I havenít heard from pettit in a while. I sent them an email requesting an update.

I may consider remaking the surge tank bracket out of steel with slight changes to clean up the design.

This is the most stable Iíve been in months but I can feel my body getting worse and fear an ER visit may be lurking in the corner. Since this is the best I've been in a while my fiancť and I are trying to pull off a wedding by the 2nd of February which means Iíll have to delegate more time to that. As a result, updates might begin to slow down. I can tell you I'd much rather work on the car than work on a wedding and that includes spending money.

-groovin

1987 MAZDA RX-7 LS1 T56 | 1995 MAZDA RX-7 ST PORT BOLT-ON'S ADAPTRONIC PNP | 1994 MAZDA RX-7 TSP 416 LS3 T56 MAGNUM E40 ECM

Offline digitalsolo

• Administrator
  • Top Fuel
  • View Gallery
    • View Profile
    • LS1FC.com
« Reply #168 on: January 08, 2019, 08:47:55 AM »
Cars are more fun then weddings.   Hopefully your health holds out well for all of it though!
Blake MF'ing McBride
1965 Mustang Coupe - TT Coyote, TR6060, modern brakes/suspension...  project car

Offline Cobranut

« Reply #169 on: January 08, 2019, 01:29:29 PM »
The wedding night is the best part, but don't tell my wife I said that.   :D

The car's looking good.   We'll be praying for you man.
1995 FD, 7.0 Liter stroked LS3, T56, 8.8, Samberg kit.

Offline sonicgroove

« Reply #170 on: January 08, 2019, 02:03:04 PM »
Cars are more fun then weddings.   Hopefully your health holds out well for all of it though!

I whole heartedly agree with you on both topics. I can't imagine what my fiance would do/feel if I end up a no show on the day of.

I finished up the wiring. I had to extend the fan power wire to reach the new fuse box location so at the same time I decided cut out the inline fuse setup and instead use the last spot in the relay box. I also used a new fuse because the previous one was starting to melt. After double checking all wires are in order I set the ignition to on and viola the WB worked confirming my separate fuse box is working. I peeked around looking for any signs of smoke or any scent of burning electronics but nothing bad was immediately apparent. Cranked the car and she started right up, so far so good. WB was reading slightly rich but leaned out to stoich as operating temps were reached. Did a double check for any leaks and verified the fans still work. I'm about to go for a test ride to see if any of my changes helped with the resonating sound.

BTW MPbody, I tried doing a few heel toes with the pedal setup and I definitely agree with you regarding the slop. The pedal needs to be solid. As I was heel toeing my heel comes in contact with the bottom of the pedal for the majority of the attempts and the pedal just pivoted. The pedal has to be welded solid or somehow locked at the same angle as the rest of the pedal assembly. Let me know how you decide to go about resolving this annoyance. I was thinking a locking pin of some sort that is removable because the pivoting action makes daily driving a hair smoother. However even if it were permanent it wound'n't be a hindrance because most older cars were setup this way and until I became aware of this luxury the difference was barely noticeable.

-groovin

Offline sonicgroove

« Reply #171 on: January 08, 2019, 02:04:05 PM »
The wedding night is the best part, but don't tell my wife I said that.   :D

The car's looking good.   We'll be praying for you man.

;)

Thanks.

-groovin

Offline sonicgroove

« Reply #172 on: January 12, 2019, 04:04:06 AM »
Iíve been messing with the tune periodically trying to smooth things out while reacquainting myself with EFILive. It later dawned on me that I should be focusing more on an LS3 tune than an ls2 even though the ecm is for an LS2. I began comparing LS3s to LS2s. Some areas are similar while others differ. Air flow seems to be one of those differences. I started using airflows numbers from the ls3 as a base while considering the engines modifications. For example cranking idle air, the ls3 seems to crave more air especially when itís colder. I changed the e40 ls2 ecmís cranking idle air to resemble something closer to that of an LS3 and now the car starts up nicely without that small engine rev. Before at startup the engine would rev to about 1.5k rpms and instantly drop down. Now the engine starts up to the desired engine speed vs ECT. I made a few changes to the minimum idle air flow and max idle area, again representing something closer to the LS3, and got idle even smoother. Thereís still chop but itís less than before. Desired engine speed is set to 800,  vacuum is 48-50kpa and timing is around 8-10. If I can maintain a vacuum of 70kpa or less Iím going to try and shoot for a desired engine speed of 700. 100rpms makes a huge difference with idle engine noise. Yes, less fuel is consumed which is an added benefit but the biggest reason, for me at least, is to create less attention at stop lights in the event Iím side by side with a law enforcement officer. Soon Iím going to be setting up EFIlive to tune AFRs for daily driving and WOT. I just got to remember how I did it on the FC.

Still nothing from pettit regarding the gauge pod.

I picked up a random oil catch can from amazon that will probably need some modifications. Iíll be installing it between the TB and the valley cover which if I understand correctly is the dirty side. I just got to figure out where and how to mount it. Later Iíll install another one on the clean side.

Since the wife probably wants to take out the white FD for a photo shoot during the wedding I know I wonít be able to get any CCWs. In the meantime, I picked up some VHT wheel paint in satin black and clear gloss and decided to paint the PF01s. Everything was going so well considering I was painting them outside and then my luck ran out. A bug decided to land on the lip of a rim. During my attempt to remove it the paint distorted, partially removed and made an unappealing white arch. This made me super sad since everything else turned out nice and the turnout was much better than I expected. I went crazy with the clear and hope it cures. Iíll probably wait at least 48 hours and periodically hit it with the hair dryer before I remount the wheels. If I donít get lazy after the paint cures I might try to touch up that bugged out area otherwise it is what it is.

On a side note, OMW home from taste testing in ďmexicoĒ I ran into a white lambo on the FWY. Unfortunately there was too much traffic and I was coming up on my exit but it would have been really fun. Had he showed any interests I might skipped the next few exits but my thumbs up and neutral throttle stab was not enough to entice the driver.

Pictures:

-groovin

Offline digitalsolo

• Administrator
  • Top Fuel
  • View Gallery
    • View Profile
    • LS1FC.com
« Reply #173 on: January 13, 2019, 11:45:59 AM »
Those wheels look pretty good in black.   I'm still mulling around a bit on wheel choice myself.
Blake MF'ing McBride

Offline sonicgroove

« Reply #174 on: January 14, 2019, 04:12:04 AM »
Those wheels look pretty good in black.   I'm still mulling around a bit on wheel choice myself.

I agree you with 100%! I wasn't too excited about them and was very motivated to buy a new set of rims but after painting them black they look way better. So much so that my motivation to purchase rims has eased up a bit. Now I can probably sit on these wheels until the tires wear down which also gives me more time to decide which color scheme is best. This was also a test to see how an all gloss black wheel would look. I knew it would look good but its the small details I was worried about. In this case its the gloss of the car paint and wheels vs the flat/satin appearance of the lip, diffuser, skirt, and wing. I think I need to gloss up those accessories to better match and also make them pop more. The satin makes those accessories fade in the shadows making them nearly invisible. If they were glossed up they would reflect light and become more visible. I tried my best to wait 48hrs before mounting the wheels but I couldn't control myself and ended up soft mounting them after almost 24hrs. I carefully lifted them by the tire into place and barely hand tightened the lugs to hold them on. I just had to see how it looked and its super  8). The cars presentation has dramatically changed. When I look at her now my eyes  go :o just like it goes  :o everytime I look under the hood. I have a teaser pic.  :evil:

I painted and installed the oil catch can. The only space that was feasible was the driver side frame rail between the headlight and radiator. I made a small bracket and used the mounting hardware that came with the kit. Additionally, I added a small grommet to the bottom of the can to act as a rubber pedestal.  The hose that came with the kit was long enough for one connection so I used spare 3/8" fuel line for the second connection. I then wrapped them with split loom and used a fuel zip ties to keep them together. It should do its job for now but ideally I'd like to run shorter lines but that will have to wait until I have an opportunity to relocate the a/c dryer somewhere up front along with the a/c lines.

-groovin

Offline sonicgroove

« Reply #175 on: January 16, 2019, 12:08:45 AM »
Nothing really to say just stuff to show.  :drive:

-groovin

Offline MPbdy

« Reply #176 on: January 16, 2019, 12:10:50 AM »
Nice! I parked mine back up at my parents and swapped to the DD. All this rain is not great with slicks lol.

Offline sonicgroove

« Reply #177 on: January 17, 2019, 04:55:10 AM »
Nice! I parked mine back up at my parents and swapped to the DD. All this rain is not great with slicks lol.

Yeah, we are seeing more moisture this year than we did last year and slicks are pretty scary during the rain. Hydroplaning, even at low speeds, is no bueno. It is, however, fun swapping skinnies to the back for some low speed drifting.

For DD I have the TDI and I love that thing. Its raised 3", rides like a mini suv, with tall tires making rough road conditions unremarkable. Couple that with the fact that its a diesel getting 40+ MPG and a carefree beater with decent storage capacity it makes the vehicle very pleasant to drive.

-groovin

Offline sonicgroove

« Reply #178 on: January 18, 2019, 04:18:09 PM »
One thing that irritates me from time to time is the fact that the RX7 lacks cup holders. Even the market for cup holders is slim pickings and everything offered I was not fond of. I started pondering about how to resolve this issue. I came up with two ideas both of which require drilling holes. That makes me nervous because if I mess up or it turns out terrible I'll have a giant hole to deal with. I bought universal drop in cup holders and plan to mount them in between the bins or on the arm rest. The bins would be nice because I wouldnít have to worry about depth however reaching back there for a drink would be inconvenient. The alternative location would be further forward where the arms rests. Iím not sure how high the armrest extends above the transmission tunnel at this location but I know it wouldnít be deep enough. To increase the gap I was thinking of adding another arm rest. I purchased an armrest I felt would match the interior and when mounted would sit fairly flush appearing factory. Unfortunately my first attempt to drill a hole failed because it was crooked and a bit large.  The second hole on the same piece turned out better. I want to really get this down before committing to anything and was wondering what you guys think. Bins or armrest? I'm thinking armrest.

-groovin

Offline MPbdy

« Reply #179 on: January 18, 2019, 05:21:13 PM »
Check out Drakes ashtray cup holder replacement. I donít have one, but people love it.

Iím doing a track day at ACS in February 16th. My first ever with the car! Long overdue with this being my 4th year of having my car on the road.