March 23, 2019, 12:22:42 PM

Author Topic: FD LS3 Race Car Build (KingKyle)  (Read 42100 times)

Offline digitalsolo

• Administrator
  • Top Fuel
  • View Gallery
    • View Profile
    • LS1FC.com
Re: FD LS3 Race Car Build (KingKyle)
« Reply #15 on: May 13, 2010, 11:46:26 AM »
Quote from: Phoenix 5.7
yellow and red, thats the PCV system
end of this article
LS1Howto.com

the orange is ur steam vent. think that will go to the surge tank
Blake MF'ing McBride
1988 Mazda RX7 - Turbo LS1/T56/ProEFI/8.8/Not Slow...   sold.
1965 Mustang Coupe - TT Coyote, TR6060, modern brakes/suspension...  project car
2013 Focus ST3 - Stage 1 BPU

Offline digitalsolo

• Administrator
  • Top Fuel
  • View Gallery
    • View Profile
    • LS1FC.com
« Reply #16 on: May 13, 2010, 11:53:06 AM »
So i weight the final product.  This weight is with EVERYTHING on the car and a half tank of fuel. I'm somewhat happy with the result.  After some emails with Jeff Kiesel from 7 parts, I think i can get 80lbs out of the car with fiberglass hood, doors and hatch with lexan.

So when people ask us, "why wouldnt you go buy a Vette?".... show them my scale picture and ask them to try to get their vette down to this weight :)

« Last Edit: May 25, 2010, 01:35:38 PM by digitalsolo »
Blake MF'ing McBride
1965 Mustang Coupe - TT Coyote, TR6060, modern brakes/suspension...  project car

Offline digitalsolo

• Administrator
  • Top Fuel
  • View Gallery
    • View Profile
    • LS1FC.com
« Reply #17 on: May 13, 2010, 11:53:28 AM »
My former GTR

I loved everything about it except the trans axle/ cooling design / electrical and the fact that i didnt build it myself.  If i built it I would have understood the electrical.

The car was hands down the best platform but i'll tell ya.  This rx7 is looking to be pretty damn potent. 2400lbs before lightweight parts and great power and best of all... EASY to work on :)

« Last Edit: May 25, 2010, 01:36:15 PM by digitalsolo »
Blake MF'ing McBride

Offline digitalsolo

• Administrator
  • Top Fuel
  • View Gallery
    • View Profile
    • LS1FC.com
« Reply #18 on: May 13, 2010, 12:53:37 PM »
Ok good news.  We fixed the electrical issue by finding out that my dumb ass left the nut on the starter post loose.

Anyway...... the car made 492whp and 435wtq

I'll have a dyno video and charts later today

« Last Edit: May 25, 2010, 01:45:50 PM by digitalsolo »
Blake MF'ing McBride

Offline digitalsolo

• Administrator
  • Top Fuel
  • View Gallery
    • View Profile
    • LS1FC.com
« Reply #19 on: May 13, 2010, 12:54:01 PM »
Well... the engine builder said its a .595 .595 "old school F1 cam grind".  I have no clue what it is.  Its a copy of a comp cam.  I originally wanted him to put the nasty LG motorsports G5x3 cam but my builder said that it was a little aggressive and he would have to change to really expensive springs.  He talked me into the F1 cam initially.

Also remember... the heads are not the LS3 L92's... they are in the new "pre production" heads from GM thats going to be on the 2009 485hp LS3.  The intake ports are bored out.  I'm telling you.. this guy Ron Sessions on Ebay is the Sh&%
Blake MF'ing McBride

Offline digitalsolo

• Administrator
  • Top Fuel
  • View Gallery
    • View Profile
    • LS1FC.com
« Reply #20 on: May 17, 2010, 02:24:40 PM »
So... i need to figure out how to put a muffler on my ehxaust. I can run an open exhaust at most of the tracks but I'm going to lime rock park on
the 19th and i need to keep the car under 92db. I have a Hinson Ypipe now and i need something quiet.

Any suggestions?

How about a super trapp? SuperTrapp: Performance Exhaust
Blake MF'ing McBride

Offline digitalsolo

• Administrator
  • Top Fuel
  • View Gallery
    • View Profile
    • LS1FC.com
« Reply #21 on: May 17, 2010, 02:24:55 PM »
yeah... i just talked to super trapp and they said i would be in the mid 90's. thats not horrible but i might get kicked out.
Blake MF'ing McBride

Offline digitalsolo

• Administrator
  • Top Fuel
  • View Gallery
    • View Profile
    • LS1FC.com
« Reply #22 on: May 17, 2010, 02:25:08 PM »
Oh im pissed. The tripoint sway bar doesnt mount to a swapped RX7. And on top of that, i threw my old swaybar away last week. Where can i find a good thicker than stock front swaybar?

On top of all that... i just found some posts where the Tri-point bar mounts are cracking? $550 bucks that i want back.
Blake MF'ing McBride

Offline digitalsolo

• Administrator
  • Top Fuel
  • View Gallery
    • View Profile
    • LS1FC.com
« Reply #23 on: May 17, 2010, 02:25:55 PM »
Quote from: habu2
Did you get the Widefoot mounts with the Tripoint bar??
No.. i got the tri point big gold mounts that bolt to the stock Rx7 subframe.
Blake MF'ing McBride

Offline digitalsolo

• Administrator
  • Top Fuel
  • View Gallery
    • View Profile
    • LS1FC.com
« Reply #24 on: May 17, 2010, 02:26:28 PM »
Quote from: rx7what
Get the widefoot mounts for a LS swapped rx7.

Quote from: cencalrx7
send the gold mounts and the their bushings back to tri-point and get a refund you can't use them need the wide foot mounts, spacers and their bushings from widefoot
Blake MF'ing McBride

Offline digitalsolo

• Administrator
  • Top Fuel
  • View Gallery
    • View Profile
    • LS1FC.com
« Reply #25 on: May 17, 2010, 02:29:27 PM »
Quote from: cozmo kraemer
Did you keep the VVT? I was reading about this and it seems interesting. I would guess no, because of the aftermarket cam, but I am asking
none the less. I am interested in a mostly stock LS3 build, keeping the VVT, just doing the corvette intake mani, LT headers and exhaust...what
do you think this would put down power wise on stock heads?
This is going to be a crazy racecar!
just one question there...If it is a speed obsession why not go open wheel and run in one of those series? Or purchase a 996 Porsche Cup Car
(or similar)and race those events? Just asking cause I'm curious, I have seen a lot of cup car setups and those things MOVE! Just saw a brand
new 997 Super Cup car and if I had the funds, that is how I would be racing...WOW!
I think your build trumps them all from a rawness point of view. I read every page...Excellent work!

You asked some very good questions. I'll do my best to answer you.
I'm not sure what the VVT is that your talking about. To answer your power question... a stock ls3 with a tune in an 08 vette makes 400whp. So everything you do is gravy after that.
Very good question about different options with race cars that would be faster.

1. Open wheel cars... I started off liking open wheel cars (huge f1 fan). My problem with open wheel cars is that they are so hard to maintain and they are very fragile. I was never a big enough fan of open wheel cars to build or own one. Plus I have lots of friends that run in my region of NASA and we all run cars that run on the same weekends.

2. GT3 cup cars: Its funny you mentioned cup cars. I've been a huge fan of them for ever. They come right out of the box with about 390whp and 2,400-2,500 lbs depending on the configuration. They are extremely fast with slicks. They are also very well balanced cars. The balance is part of the reason they are so fast. You put an Avg Joe racer in the GT3 cup and it will set very quick times because they are such a well developed and balanced chassis. The downside to the GT3 cup is price first.... a used 996 cup goes for 70k min to 130k. That's just to get the car.. now you need to rebuild the motor every 40-60 hours of use. That's roughly 1-2 seasons depending on how often you track/race. Here is the kicker... I have a friend that re-builds cup car motors and he said I could get it done for 15k per rebuild. Most people pay 20-25k per. That's freaking nuts for 390whp. I have a car the roughly costed me 40K to build and if i blow my motor to bits... it will only cost $7k at the most to replace.

Right now i have the power to weight ratio of the C6R GT1 corvette and i'm psyched! Weighing 2,400 lbs and having 500whp is not easy to get. The car is also very well balanced (50/50) and has a decent aerodynamic shape. I'm going to be getting the car even lighter and adding serious custom aero and the sky is the limit with power. I can get another 100hp with some engine work.

I'll have pics of my larger than life custom wing/splitter in a few days

Here is a photo of my cool down lap after a NASA sprint race last year that i won overall in my Evo. The Porsche behind me is a GT3 cup modified with a twin turbo race motor making 600-800hp. Its all relative when it comes to speed.

« Last Edit: May 25, 2010, 01:47:28 PM by digitalsolo »
Blake MF'ing McBride

Offline digitalsolo

• Administrator
  • Top Fuel
  • View Gallery
    • View Profile
    • LS1FC.com
« Reply #26 on: May 17, 2010, 02:34:21 PM »
Quote from: cozmo kraemer
This is interesting. With your car's weight, when do you think you reach the physical limit where increasing tire size does not increase traction? I would think increasing the frontal downforce, or reducing the lift would benefit more than just increasing the tire size. I would think you are pretty close to the limit at 285 or 305... I think you are on the side of the curve of decreasing returns when it comes to tire size.

This would be a pretty good engineering problem and I am sure it has been solved many times over...

I bet your car with the way it is set up, probably can see the largest gains through using aerodynamics. Are there any class restrictions on this?

Also alignment and suspension setup will have as much to do with the car's ability to rotate as tire size, but I know you know that.

Very good points. The new school of thought process that i've seen over the past few years is that 315's or 335's on all 4 corners can actually be better if setup right. Trust me... I know the benefits of good aero... i'll be using a very nice/strong dry carbon custom front splitter that is removable. You will get a kick out of my wing thats currently on the way to me. Its a custom wing thats as large and as high as possible within the NASA super touring rules.

Quote from: thetech
No one yell at me for posting a rotary car :)

Whole buildup is here: My 20B FC roadrace car is underway... - RX7Club.com

Look forward to seeing some videos of your beast in action!

Very nice car! i think i saw pics from the most recent redline time attack right? IF that was you i saw, what time did you run? Do you have in car video?

Quote from: girf
I am not sure if you have solved your muffler problem but these guys make crazy light weight mufflers (2-3 lbs) for racing purposes. They are repackable so you can adjust the sound deadening as you need.

http://www.coastfab.com/ultralights.html

Many options for sizes as well.

Thanks for posting this link... i'll be giving them a call today. This is exactly what i was looking for.
Blake MF'ing McBride

Offline digitalsolo

• Administrator
  • Top Fuel
  • View Gallery
    • View Profile
    • LS1FC.com
« Reply #27 on: May 25, 2010, 01:49:06 PM »
Here is a quick pic of the car after i installed the bumper and r1 lip. The 2 layer dry carbon aluminum honeycomb core splitter will go right below it.

I'm going to need to grind down the rear of the r1 lip to create 1-2.5 degree's of slope on the splitter.

Sorry crappy iphone pic

Blake MF'ing McBride

Offline digitalsolo

• Administrator
  • Top Fuel
  • View Gallery
    • View Profile
    • LS1FC.com
« Reply #28 on: May 25, 2010, 01:51:36 PM »
Quote from: andrewdruiz
That's a '99 spec lip, but I'd be happy to trade you my R1 lip for it

Thanks for correcting me... whats the difference? I dont know mazda's very well

Quote from: andrewdruiz
The R1 lip is a lot smoother and meant to fit the bumper on your car. The '99 spec probably sticks out a bit on that bumper since it's meant for the '99 spec bumper.

Blake MF'ing McBride

Offline digitalsolo

• Administrator
  • Top Fuel
  • View Gallery
    • View Profile
    • LS1FC.com
« Reply #29 on: May 25, 2010, 01:52:07 PM »
The fender flares are on and i also made some custom brackets to hold up the headlight covers.

Blake MF'ing McBride