February 18, 2019, 06:07:09 AM

Author Topic: My 4.3 vortec 84 FB  (Read 42439 times)

Stan G

Re: my 84 FB
« Reply #15 on: October 25, 2010, 12:01:04 PM »
Looking good ..

Offline Nyt_Muves

« Reply #16 on: October 28, 2010, 02:39:34 AM »
I'm impressed!  This is looking like a really clean build!
Built by Mazda, Shaken by PONTIAC
LT and T56 going in!! Ford 5.0L and AOD for sale.  lol :D

Offline rk970

« Reply #17 on: November 17, 2010, 02:17:58 AM »
I am at it again.. 

Clutch slave mounting!  The fork ratio is 1.15:1. I mocked up the mount using 3/16" Balsa and in turn will be cutting and welding it up out of 3/16" plate..

I will post pics of the master cylinder when mounted,  I will be running 3/16 hard line (IFF at the master) down the tunnel and attaching to a 12" an-3 braided line to the slave cylinder

So I was faced on how to finish the cross member,  it had surface rust on it, I was going to strip it with phosphoric acid, then I though about using electrolysis (washing soda, battery and a piece of rebar)
Well I took the $40 easy way out and had it blasted / power coated..  time is money and this was a good deal...

And the interior...

So the plan is to get the drive train  mounted, plumed, wired ect and then rip it all out and strip the body down to the shell for paint/body work...    Its going to be black with black/charcoal interior  kind of murdered out... 

stay tuned... more to come.. 
rk
« Last Edit: October 03, 2013, 01:15:50 PM by rk970 »

V8Mongrel

« Reply #18 on: November 17, 2010, 07:21:43 AM »
Nice work.  Good to see another firs gen being built.

Offline Nyt_Muves

« Reply #19 on: November 18, 2010, 01:31:40 AM »
I hope mine turns out half as clean as this looks.
Built by Mazda, Shaken by PONTIAC
LT and T56 going in!! Ford 5.0L and AOD for sale.  lol :D

Offline RX7V8Builder

« Reply #20 on: November 20, 2010, 12:24:28 PM »
Very nice work on the crossmember.  You will have plenty room left in your bay for whatever you want to do afterwards.   Your weight distribution should also be great.

'87 Base Model FC
LT1 385 LE ported DART heads_ T56 
8.8 IRS
Ricardo

Offline OtteWell_Ranger

• In The Bleach Box
  • View Gallery
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: November 20, 2010, 08:50:31 PM »
Very solid...............I like the idea of the 4.3.   Not too big but more then enough........for some one like me anyways, but I'm old :D
"some days you have to decide if your the guy hanging on the cross or the guy banging in the nails"

Offline rk970

« Reply #22 on: November 21, 2010, 03:16:20 AM »
Bracket made..

Balsa wood template..

Stock FB clutch master cylinder besides the 3/4" wilwood..  notice how similar the mounting is.  (the FC master has mounts at 1 and 7 the FB are at 12&6 o clock) 

More pics to come when the master gets mounted, I am running hard line down (toward the top of the tunnel) to the slave and attaching the slave to the hard line with a 12" an-3 braided line
« Last Edit: October 03, 2013, 01:20:33 PM by rk970 »

Offline rk970

« Reply #23 on: November 29, 2010, 03:43:50 PM »
Ran the clutch line..

Master cylinder mounted (3/4" wilwood)  Made a 1/4" plate to space it out, it is threaded with 5/15"x18. The plate is bolted on from the inside and the master bolts on from the out side..   I did this because it is a pain in the ass to bolt on a clutch master cylinder from the inside of a car..

3/16 hard line to a 3/16 IFF/ an-3 fitting... an-3 braided line to the pull slave that joins a 90* an-3 1/8 pipe fitting..

View from the bottom showing the 90* fitting and braided line.. 
« Last Edit: October 03, 2013, 01:23:57 PM by rk970 »

Offline rk970

« Reply #24 on: December 01, 2010, 01:24:55 PM »
So I have had a discussion with V8 mongrel about Suspension setups on the FB/SA and I am going to share with all the peps..

Quote from: rk970 on Today at 12:07:56 PM
Rear suspension...  My plan is to build a three link with a panhard bar.  Stock lower links that are set parallel to the ground (neutral roll steer and should help with anti squat).  For the upper center link I am cutting off the top of the tunnel (under the storage bins behind the cross brace) and moving it up so the link will be under the car not part way in the car.  The upper link will be offset 3~4" to the right of center to help plant the right wheel under power. 
This should remove any binding concerns and nicely  lower the roll center.   Rear spring perch will be slightly modified to use common 5~5.5" x11" springs..

Quote from:V8Mongrel
Brilliant.  Well thought out and not missing a single point I can think of other than making sure that you have good bushings in those arms.
Have you checked your numbers against the famous Shope calculator?
http://home.earthlink.net/~whshope/id16.html

15x7" rims (just under 14lbs) 205/55 (or 50) tire..

Good choice.  I'd go 50.  Don't raise the car with tires.

Front suspension...  Re-speed race coil over kit.. to use common 2.5" springs.  poly bushings..  Blocks under the strut to raise the roll center after lowering (I am lowering only 1" but still like to get the roll center back up).

Again, well done.  Not sure what I can add except to say the same thing about bushings and you might want to consider boxing the lower arms.

Stock sway bars front/rear (for now) I would rather adjust spring rates.

Fair enough, but...

This is a street driven car, pretty much set up for driving mountain type roads (like the north cascade Hwy)

Not sure I agree given the nature of what you intend to do.  Sway bars are a great tuning tool and way of limiting roll (critical for a front strut suspension) that have fewer drawbacks on less than perfect surfaces.  Not saying you are wrong, but I would start with a larger front bar just on basic principle since it is a strut.

I have been mulling and reading as much info on FB suspension setups..  Usual set ups run about half the spring rate on the rear (+25 usually) as the front, and run a large front bar (to me its a band aid fix for snap over steer).
I know with a three link rear there is not a binding issue and I can run more spring rate.  Question is how much more, or what may be a good starting point.
I was thinking about 250~275lb/in front and 175~200is on the rear to start with..

You are absolutely right about the spring rates often being a band-aid for other problems.  The questions you ask here are not easy to answer, but I will give it a shot.

Since you have a panhard bar, you will be able to set your rear roll center higher or lower.  This has a large influence on what rate you will run at the rear.  I'd shoot for about 11" high to start, or approximately one inch below wheel center.

Depending on what camber setting you will use, and if you will be going to stiffer front bar, the front rate really is a case of as stiff as possible to control the contact patch without having it be so stiff that the rear is always playing catchup.

I'd start with 275 front and 175 rear.  The reason is that too stiff in the rear will reduce grip a lot faster than too stiff in the front. 

btw your build is awesome....

Thanks.  My personal life has gotten in the way recently, but I should be back at it soon.

What is your plan for shocks?

And out of curiosity, why do you put this in a PM?  I think it would make a good thread.

Quote from: rk970
Boxed lower arms, good point was planing on doing it.
What size of front bar, Do I have to fabricate one or is there any off the shelf available..  I may look in the adco book..

about -.5* on the front (It will be a pseudo daily driver) This is why I want to use roll center blocks under the struts to get some of the camber curve back (although struts do not do so well in the camber curve area)

I should add this discussion to my build thread, ok with that

Look at Addco.  I think 1" is what you want, but not sure.  I might have one sitting around.  No longer fits my car, obviously.

I am cool with you adding this to your thread, in fact, I am happy to hear that you will.

You can run -1

Offline rk970

« Reply #25 on: December 01, 2010, 02:50:31 PM »
Actually I looked at
http://www.racetec.cc/shope/tim.17.htm
in the past.

For anybody looking for info in suspension
http://www.shopeshop.org/contentsDrag.htm
has some good technical info...

V8Mongrel I was thinking about using Tokico HP struts.  But I also found out that the rear 1st gen toyota mr2 cartridges work on the front (stiffer then the FB strut cartridge) and that some have used rear 3rd gen Z28 shocks on the back (also stiffer then the FB) ... both are bolt in.. in theory..   
« Last Edit: October 20, 2013, 03:57:06 PM by rk970 »

V8Mongrel

« Reply #26 on: December 01, 2010, 03:02:50 PM »
V8Mongrel I was thinking about using Tokico HP struts.  But I also found out that the rear 1st gen toyota mr2 cartridges work on the front (stiffer then the FB strut cartridge) and that some have used rear 3rd gen Z28 shocks on the back (also stiffer then the FB) ... both are bolt in.. in theory..
I thought it was IRS New Edge Mustang shocks that work?  Maybe both do. 

I don't know if I still have my uprights, but read this and you can see what might be possible if the tubes are large enough.

Offline rk970

« Reply #27 on: December 01, 2010, 05:36:21 PM »
So the rear 99-04 mustang IRS shocks will bolt into the sa/fb.. ?

V8Mongrel

« Reply #28 on: December 01, 2010, 07:41:09 PM »
So the rear 99-04 mustang IRS shocks will bolt into the sa/fb.. ?
These - http://www.stangsuspension.com/Koni-Double-Adjustable-Mustang-Shocks-94-04-p/1148.htm

Do you have the Susko book?  It is worth every penny, IMO.

Offline dream36realms

« Reply #29 on: December 02, 2010, 12:52:46 PM »
man. I am gonna have long talks with you two when I get stateside. Currently I went with the respeed crossmember/ steering and am praying it will all fit. The rest I am undecided on. Good build here I like it alot.
日までに仕事および夜までに虐殺。
を下って、人類と