April 14, 2021, 09:45:23 PM

Author Topic: Intermittent clutch again  (Read 170 times)

Offline Thor 18

Intermittent clutch again
« on: April 07, 2021, 10:50:45 PM »
 >:(  Thought I had this one fixed, but apparently not.  Clutch will intermittently not disengage all the way.  Some trips it's completely fine, then I get back in the car an hour later and there's no pedal resistance for the first half, and it won't disengage all the way.  Then after driving it comes back to normal...or it doesn't until the next day.  2 months ago I replaced the master cylinder with another wilwood 7/8" and it seemed to fix the problem until today.  Fluid is full (uses brake reservoir) with no leaks visible around master cylinder or trans.  The first time around I thought it was internal leak in the master.  possibly a slave leak now?  Bad wilwood cylinder?  Reading through other threads I don't think it's something with the clutch/flywheel itself due to the pedal response and intermittent nature. 

Offline N3BP

• In The Bleach Box
  • View Gallery
    • View Profile
Re: Intermittent clutch again
« Reply #1 on: April 08, 2021, 11:41:19 AM »
Not sure about the intermittent  issues, but for my setup,  the 7/8'' master didn't displace enough fluid to fully disengage my slave, even though it's shimmed.  I had to bump up to a 1'' Master.
90GXL LS1/T56

Offline wickedrx7

« Reply #2 on: April 08, 2021, 12:26:15 PM »
How is your clutch line ran? Is it close to the headers? Could fluid be boiling?

1993 Touring, 2012 L99, T-56, Ronnin 8.8, Ohlins, Speedhut, Samberg and lots of custom parts
Build Thread - http://www.norotors.com/index.php?topic=19354.0
Pictures - www.flikr.com/wickedrx7

Offline Thor 18

« Reply #3 on: April 08, 2021, 08:42:35 PM »
It's not super close to the headers, but it's possible it's boiling.  I've had that happen on track, but it went away after a cool down lap.  I did do a 1/2 mile pull the day before this started, but it was fine for the whole drive back, and the first drive the next day.  Wasn't until it sat for an hour that it went full retard. 

Offline cholmes

« Reply #4 on: April 12, 2021, 06:42:13 PM »
I had this same thing happen to me a few years ago, turned out to be an intermittent leak in the braided line from the master to the slave. Weird but true. It would both leak a small amount of fluid and also suck in a small amount of air. Didn't leak enough fluid to drip out of the bell housing, only found it when I pulled the trans to figure out what was happening.