April 14, 2021, 11:15:19 PM

Author Topic: FD Radiator/Intake Combo - RONIN's design  (Read 2277 times)

Offline wickedrx7

Re: FD Radiator/Intake Combo - RONIN's design
« Reply #30 on: February 26, 2021, 06:00:25 PM »
Just to throw this out there, would there be any benefit to using a dual pass radiator with top/bottom tanks like the stock RX-7?  I assume Mazda engineers did this to optimize cooling with such a small opening in the front facia?  Just a thought...

1993 Touring, 2012 L99, T-56, Ronnin 8.8, Ohlins, Speedhut, Samberg and lots of custom parts
Build Thread - http://www.norotors.com/index.php?topic=19354.0
Pictures - www.flikr.com/wickedrx7

Offline frijolee

« Reply #31 on: March 03, 2021, 05:46:29 PM »
Just to throw this out there, would there be any benefit to using a dual pass radiator with top/bottom tanks like the stock RX-7?  I assume Mazda engineers did this to optimize cooling with such a small opening in the front facia?  Just a thought...

Interesting thought, in general you get more core area out of the tanks being on the short side since you need a certain amount of width for hose bungs, but given most cars have wide short bumper openings I'd tend to think more vehicles would go this way if it make a significant difference.  That said, I can't tell you quite why Mazda did what they did.  In our case, I really want to use the bitching spal dual fan setup and that drives the core form factor to a large extent.  Add on top of this that the mounting to frame rails also improves with side tanks and I think we'll keep it as is.
LS2 stroker FC, Mandeville big brakes, widebody, etc
Build thread:  http://www.norotors.com/index.php?topic=1274.0
www.roninspeedworks.com

LargeOrangeFont says: "Joel is right, and I love Joel. But his car sounds like the wrath of God."   ;)

Offline Esser

« Reply #32 on: March 04, 2021, 11:27:02 AM »
The SPAL (30102052) setup is pretty good, I used to run it. But there is a better one out now that's actually cheaper... jegs has their own version of this fan setup with the same cfm, and a much better shroud. The SPAL uses two separate shrouds that are riveted together to make it "dual"  while Jegs uses a single solid piece. The riveted shroud is a little warped (ie wont lay flat on a table) cause its under tension.

I took apart the electric motors in both versions to see what differences I could note.... and the Jegs fans seen to me 90% similar, the bearings are all sealed, the center shaft is the same size, and jegs even balances the blades with small clip on weights. The only downside is the rubber flaps on the jegs version are a little too thick, they wont open as much as the SPAL ones- I swapped them over. And they left a lot of extra plastic on the outside edges for mounting. Just a thought to maybe save some $$$ on this kit.

JEGS 555-52115

Offline Daniel1286

« Reply #33 on: March 29, 2021, 11:52:44 AM »
Any updates on this? This is all Im missing for my build and Id hate to buy a random universal radiator and then buy this one a week later.

Offline frijolee

« Reply #34 on: March 31, 2021, 04:44:26 PM »
Any updates on this? This is all Im missing for my build and Id hate to buy a random universal radiator and then buy this one a week later.

I have a trip to Cali booked for end of April where our goal is to finalize this with product launch to follow shortly thereafter.  Working to release all the cutting files for that now.  I'll try to get some updated renders posted in the day or two.

-Joel

LS2 stroker FC, Mandeville big brakes, widebody, etc
Build thread:  http://www.norotors.com/index.php?topic=1274.0
www.roninspeedworks.com

LargeOrangeFont says: "Joel is right, and I love Joel. But his car sounds like the wrath of God."   ;)