March 08, 2021, 05:27:03 PM

Author Topic: Race seats  (Read 1193 times)

Offline paul_3rdgen

• Supporting Member
  • Launching!
  • View Gallery
    • View Profile
Race seats
« on: January 23, 2021, 11:14:21 AM »
Iím finally taking the plunge and replacing my seats with race seats.  Iím looking for a seat that works with a 5 point harness, but is still somewhat comfortable and looks good in the car.  Iíve been dancing around this for a while but itís time as the more I track it, the more Iím loving it, and I feel I canít drive to potential in the stock seats.  Iím 6ft tall and 34Ē waist, Iíd really love to sit in these seats Before buying but itís not so easy as Ontario is on lockdown and not many places stock the seats.

Choices so far:

Recaro pole positions in leather with alcantara centers

Sparco qrt-performance, leather with alcantara centres

Cobra Suzuka pro gt, material choice isnít an option

Tillet b5, in carbon

Opinions wanted! And help choosing also needed.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
93 RX7 R1 500rwhp
LS2, H/C combo... ARE drysump
Race Logic traction Control and 4 wheel Stoptech BBK
3.73 gears installed in the stock diff  :o

Offline tai-lun

• Staged
  • Blue Devil LS2 FD
  • View Gallery
    • View Profile
Re: Race seats
« Reply #1 on: January 23, 2021, 03:54:00 PM »
I am similar height/waist and was in the same boat trying to figure out seats. I unfortunately was under a time constraint moving the car around so I ended up with a seat that is a tighter fit.

Pole Position - What I would have picked for comfort, size, price but I could not wait in my case. Track focus>look comfort, they look cool in Jersey red (unavailable from Recaro going on 2 years now) but black is okay but boring/ugly. Leather is nicer but to me (no AC) stupid for a track seat, side support is medium but tolerable for a street driven car.
Cobra Suzuka - Can be customized to match your FD interior, premium feel with almost OEM look I think. Less side support, but still enough for a street car to not look like a contortionist getting in/out. Comfortable and fits FD with lots of fabric options - it can get expensive quick.
Sparco qrt - Functional, if that is the only goal then function>price/look. If I went this route, the seat would be off to be re-upholstery shop first chance even if in leather. Good side support, will be a bit tight. I find it ugly as hell but that could be just me.
Tillet b5 - Your pockets seem to be overflowing with cash mcdollars, looks cool with all the style points. Pretty lacking in side support, enjoy sliding every corner like a stock seat.

I setup a sheet to compare dimensions including harness heights, they are not all the same. If I was going to change seats again... which I hopefully wont have to do again, I'd consider them in the order above. From what I remember about your build, the Cobra would be my choice but calling them to get it customized would be the way to do it. Alcantara center, custom matched stitching, harness hardware and there is leather and padding options. Their website sucks to show options.

Hope that helps.
Tai - 93 LS2 Ronin Widebody FD
Build Thread: https://www.norotors.com/index.php?topic=9172.210

Offline paul_3rdgen

• Supporting Member
  • Launching!
  • View Gallery
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 23, 2021, 04:03:41 PM »
Very thorough!  Thank you! 

93 RX7 R1 500rwhp

Offline paul_3rdgen

• Supporting Member
  • Launching!
  • View Gallery
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 24, 2021, 04:49:45 PM »
Adding 1 more to the list. Omp ars-r

93 RX7 R1 500rwhp

Offline tai-lun

• Staged
  • Blue Devil LS2 FD
  • View Gallery
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: January 24, 2021, 09:06:56 PM »
Looks like a good alternative to the Sparco, sometimes you can get a good local deal from race shops I find on OMP. Materials are very function oriented so might need a trip to the reupholster shop. Yellow and black not for everyone.

Offline paul_3rdgen

• Supporting Member
  • Launching!
  • View Gallery
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: January 24, 2021, 09:12:07 PM »
Thereís an omp dealer close by, Iíll see if I can go sit in one and get a good price. 

Now, both seats, or just one?   Iím thinking both. 

93 RX7 R1 500rwhp

Offline wickedrx7

« Reply #6 on: January 24, 2021, 09:34:32 PM »
What is the main goal for the car these days?  Daily/Track mix?  I assume you are planning on leaving this in and not swapping for track days. 

Reason for the above questions is you have to think about side bolster height.  The higher the side bolster, the harder it is to get in an out of the car.  The 7 is already not the easiest car to get in/out of, add a high side bolster and it becomes somewhat painful. 

I was sold on the Cobra Imola but never puled the trigger.  Now I am hopeful that Sakebomb actually makes this happen.  This would be an awesome street/track setup - https://www.rx7club.com/group-buy-product-dev-fd-rx-7-269/sakebomb-garage-recaro-pole-position-seat-kit-rails-race-version-rz-seats-1122766/

1993 Touring, 2012 L99, T-56, Ronnin 8.8, Ohlins, Speedhut, Samberg and lots of custom parts
Build Thread - http://www.norotors.com/index.php?topic=19354.0
Pictures - www.flikr.com/wickedrx7

Offline paul_3rdgen

• Supporting Member
  • Launching!
  • View Gallery
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: January 24, 2021, 09:48:13 PM »
This will definitely be a street/track mix.  Iíve been following that sakebomb thread for a long time, canít wait anymore.  I do like the Recaro pole positions but I need to sit in one to commit.  Also I donít mind solid mounting them, and if sakebomb ever finishes, I will get there tilt sliders. 

Your right about the side bolsters, and Iím debating removing my door bars on my cage for the reasons you mentioned.   I donít really need them anymore as I stopped drag racing and only go to lapping days. 

93 RX7 R1 500rwhp

Offline tai-lun

• Staged
  • Blue Devil LS2 FD
  • View Gallery
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: January 25, 2021, 01:17:02 AM »
Thereís an omp dealer close by, Iíll see if I can go sit in one and get a good price. 

Now, both seats, or just one?   Iím thinking both. 

I went with a single seat (solid mount) with my FD as I am more track focused with the car and I don't want to be switching out the seat as mentioned. Like you I couldn't wait for the Sakebomb Garage thread, which is too bad as it was looking promising to start for a good setup. From when I was in the same boat deciding on seats, below was what I was thinking myself.

Both Seats:
Pole Position
Cobra Suzuka
Tillet b5

Single Seat
Sparco QRT-R
OMP ARS-R

Offline Esser

« Reply #9 on: January 27, 2021, 02:51:13 PM »
Recaro pole positions are not tall people friendly. Max height is about 5'9-5'10. Shoulder straps will be too low.

I'm going to get B5's as my next seat.

Offline paul_3rdgen

• Supporting Member
  • Launching!
  • View Gallery
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: January 27, 2021, 02:57:55 PM »
What size are you for reference?  Itís easier to reference seat selection with people size. 

93 RX7 R1 500rwhp

Offline Dyesuperman

• Pre-Staging
  • View Gallery
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: January 27, 2021, 05:15:44 PM »
I have the Tillet B5 in my car and while it looks like you might slide around, you donít. I autocross with mine and donít move at all. I drive the car often as well. Multiple 1.5 hour drives and no soreness

Offline Exidous

« Reply #12 on: January 28, 2021, 08:54:58 AM »
I've been looking for a seat for quite some time as well. I'm 6'3" and 34-36" on the waist but the bone in my hip joint is the issue. I've attempted to sit in a few "regular" seats and it was not pleasant and/or possible. It's the damned child birthing hips. Ha

I'm looking for a wider fixed with very low leg bolsters. Fixed only because I'm certain reclining just isn't an option with a slightly wider seat.

I'd put my height and weight at the limit of the FD. Comfortable though. Need more headroom though. Stock seat still.
94 BB Sleeved gen IV LS7, MS3ProU with TC, RONIN 8.8 and LT's with custom 3.5"single to VAREX muffler.

Offline paul_3rdgen

• Supporting Member
  • Launching!
  • View Gallery
    • View Profile
Race seats
« Reply #13 on: January 28, 2021, 09:31:14 AM »
I was on the phone with the local omp dealer, heís a wealth of knowledge and has been racing fir 25 years and happens to be a mazda guy himself. So the best advice he gave me was so not purchase a seat till you sit in it. 

Heís suggesting that I get either the omp champ R or the ars-r.   But Iím waiting till February 11th when our lockdown is possibly over so I can go sit in some seats.   These two seats accommodate 34-36Ē waist.

93 RX7 R1 500rwhp

Offline digitalsolo

• Administrator
  • Top Fuel
  • View Gallery
    • View Profile
    • LS1FC.com
« Reply #14 on: January 28, 2021, 10:21:55 AM »
FWIW RaceTech has some comfy seats.   Iíve trial fit a few of them at PRI and liked them a lot.

Iím 6í2Ē and 185 lbs with a 32Ē waist and fairly slim build for reference.    I have giant legs though, so I hate seats that overly constrain much below my hips.
Blake MF'ing McBride
1988 Mazda RX7 - Turbo LS1/T56/ProEFI/8.8/Not Slow...   sold.
1965 Mustang Coupe - TT Coyote, TR6060, modern brakes/suspension...  project car
2016 BMW 428i xDrive Gran Coupe - Completely stock...ish