March 08, 2021, 04:56:22 PM

Author Topic: FD column mount electric power steering  (Read 683 times)

Offline AHarada

FD column mount electric power steering
« on: December 12, 2020, 06:19:19 PM »
Epowersteering.com is selling a column mount electric power steering system for the FD. When I talked to him about a month ago, he said he had sold a few kits already. Since FD columns are hard to come by, he has only had one at a time and requires a core. I took advantage of his black Friday sale and ordered a system. He doesnít yet list the Fd system on his website, but can be ordered directly. I received it today, and I plan on installing it in the coming weeks after I pick up my Fd from storage.

I went manual steering several years ago and I love the feedback through the steering, but not having PS is a pain in the ass sometimes. I have a power rack and a turn one pump that Iíve never installed,  but hopefully this works out instead. The motor itself is pretty beefy and heavy so there wonít be any weight savings, but the clean engine bay and simplicity of the system will be a positive. Iíve seen that these can draw up to 60 amps at full power which is also a consideration. Iím using a self-exciting 160amp alternator which should be sufficient for all of my electrical loads.

Iíll update when I get it working.
[smg id=6954]

Offline digitalsolo

• Administrator
  • Top Fuel
  • View Gallery
    • View Profile
    • LS1FC.com
Re: FD column mount electric power steering
« Reply #1 on: December 12, 2020, 07:23:54 PM »
Cool!   I have the same base hardware in my Mustang and I like it.
Blake MF'ing McBride
1988 Mazda RX7 - Turbo LS1/T56/ProEFI/8.8/Not Slow...   sold.
1965 Mustang Coupe - TT Coyote, TR6060, modern brakes/suspension...  project car
2016 BMW 428i xDrive Gran Coupe - Completely stock...ish

Offline AHarada

« Reply #2 on: December 12, 2020, 09:48:25 PM »
How does the steering feel compare to a hydraulic setup in your experience?
[smg id=6954]

Offline carlb

« Reply #3 on: December 13, 2020, 12:16:11 AM »
Looks Ike a great alternative to manual rack. Hopefully, some feel is maintained.

Sent from my Surface Duo using Tapatalk

'93 RX-7 Black ~500hp
Forged LS2, MMS 220 Heads, 227/230 114+3, Ported FAST 92
Magnum F, Mamo RPS BC2 Clutch, Ronin 8.8 / 3.55 LSD
Ohlins DFV, RaceLogic TC, RB Dual Tip Exhaust

Offline MPbdy

« Reply #4 on: December 13, 2020, 02:04:29 AM »
Hmmm Iíve looked hard into this in the past didnít know there was an FD specific kit. Roughly how much did it all cost you?

Really curious how the feel is through the electric assist.

Offline digitalsolo

• Administrator
  • Top Fuel
  • View Gallery
    • View Profile
    • LS1FC.com
« Reply #5 on: December 13, 2020, 08:37:26 AM »
How does the steering feel compare to a hydraulic setup in your experience?

The original controller I had used a pot to set assist.   That sucked on the road as I had to manually turn it up parking and down on the highway.  The newer controller uses torque sensing to adjust assist and actually feels good.   Iím changing to a faster rack this year which should finish dialing it in I think.
Blake MF'ing McBride
1988 Mazda RX7 - Turbo LS1/T56/ProEFI/8.8/Not Slow...   sold.
1965 Mustang Coupe - TT Coyote, TR6060, modern brakes/suspension...  project car
2016 BMW 428i xDrive Gran Coupe - Completely stock...ish

Offline AHarada

« Reply #6 on: January 18, 2021, 02:24:54 AM »
I finally got my FD out of storage and it arrived shortly before I left for a work trip. I was able to get the kit installed and working. I only moved the car around my driveway and parking in my garage, but it feels great. It is going to be a while before my car is registered and on the road where I can try it out at speed. This controller does use a knob and potentiometer to adjust assist, anywhere from zero assist all the way to being able to steer with a few fingers while stationary. Maybe a speed sensing controller will be available as an upgrade in the future.

The install was pretty straightforward. Initially I had a part that didnít fit well, so I sent an email to Ken at Epowersteering.com during the holidays. He called me shortly after and I told him about the deficiency with the kit. He asked for some measurements, and he made and sent out a new part the next morning. After getting the new part, fitment is good and the craftsmanship of the parts are good as well. Ken has been super responsive and he stands behind his product. I did send him my core, so there should be another one available for an FD.

[smg id=6954]

Offline AHarada

« Reply #7 on: January 18, 2021, 02:26:29 AM »
Hmmm Iíve looked hard into this in the past didnít know there was an FD specific kit. Roughly how much did it all cost you?

Really curious how the feel is through the electric assist.

After inquiring about it with Ken, he instructed me to order the Miata kit through the website, and to note that it was for an FD. So the pricing was the same as the Miata kit, with a good discount during Black Friday.
[smg id=6954]

Offline Venom13132

• Staged
  • 95 RX-7 LS1 T56 FEED Widebody
  • View Gallery
    • View Profile
    • Venom Speed Shop
« Reply #8 on: January 18, 2021, 12:52:18 PM »
you think there is enough room up there for a DBW gas pedal also?      What modifications did you make to your steering rack?
1995 RX-7 - LS1, T56: Feed wide body, Feed CF Side skirts, 57DR 18's, K-Sport coilovers, 99 spec\ tails and spoiler, SpeedHut, Aeromotive, TwinZ Diffuser
2010 Cadillac Escalade: Daily Driver and pulls my 18' car hauler

Offline AHarada

« Reply #9 on: January 18, 2021, 08:15:49 PM »
I havenít seen a DBW setup in person, but the EPS system doesnít really go near the pedal. Here are some crappy pix:

I converted my rack to manual years ago by removing the internal seals, welding the quill shaft, and welding/grinding the holes. This system should work just as well on a power rack with looped lines.
[smg id=6954]

Offline AHarada

« Reply #10 on: January 18, 2021, 08:19:08 PM »
Cool!   I have the same base hardware in my Mustang and I like it.

I looked around their site some more and it seems that they do have a torque sensing controller add-on to replace the adjustment dial. Iím going to try it out!
[smg id=6954]

Offline Venom13132

• Staged
  • 95 RX-7 LS1 T56 FEED Widebody
  • View Gallery
    • View Profile
    • Venom Speed Shop
« Reply #11 on: January 19, 2021, 06:38:28 AM »
sweet.  Well I will keep this on my wish list.
1995 RX-7 - LS1, T56: Feed wide body, Feed CF Side skirts, 57DR 18's, K-Sport coilovers, 99 spec\ tails and spoiler, SpeedHut, Aeromotive, TwinZ Diffuser
2010 Cadillac Escalade: Daily Driver and pulls my 18' car hauler

Offline paul_3rdgen

• Supporting Member
  • Launching!
  • View Gallery
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: January 21, 2021, 05:03:49 PM »
This is very interesting.  I had to go back to a bigger steering wheel because my hands were hurting after 20 laps at the track with my small steering wheel and manual steering.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
93 RX7 R1 500rwhp
LS2, H/C combo... ARE drysump
Race Logic traction Control and 4 wheel Stoptech BBK
3.73 gears installed in the stock diff  :o

Offline 1point3liter

• Launching!
  • View Gallery
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: January 22, 2021, 05:46:55 PM »
I just posted that I think my car is done'ish and here I am reading this post thinking I need to order one of these kits
-Bryan
Twin Turbo LSX FD