November 23, 2020, 11:12:29 PM

Author Topic: Top shelf slave cylinders / throwout bearings - T56  (Read 563 times)

Offline Exidous

Re: Top shelf slave cylinders / throwout bearings - T56
« Reply #15 on: November 18, 2020, 03:33:48 PM »
I was just working on a formula drift car two days ago with a supercharged ls3, quartermaster twin plate, tilton slave and Jasper dog box.

With the abuse that thing sees, the tilton slave was perfect. Extremely simple design. Comes apart very easily to be cleaned and reassembled. I didn't see any evidence of leaking.

It was just two pieces of precision hard anodized aluminum and a small seal. Super easy to bleed too.
94 BB Sleeved gen IV LS7, MS3ProU with TC, RONIN 8.8 and LT's with custom 3.5"single to VAREX muffler.

Offline cholmes

« Reply #16 on: November 18, 2020, 11:45:08 PM »
Just tried to post a reply with photos, got a "site can't be reached" message, will try again later.

Offline cholmes

« Reply #17 on: November 19, 2020, 12:27:48 AM »
Ok, I've just wasted a couple of hours trying to post a reply with some resized photos, both in full size and thumbnail jpeg forms, the reply window keeps scrambling the order of the photos during preview so they don't line up with captions, and when I try to just post anyway, I keep getting a "site can't be reached" message.

I've got a race weekend coming up and I've just GOT to get spares and tools packed up. I'll try posting again after the weekend. Sorry.

Offline digitalsolo

• Administrator
  • Top Fuel
  • View Gallery
    • View Profile
    • LS1FC.com
« Reply #18 on: November 19, 2020, 12:42:04 AM »
FWIW, the gallery feature will do that all for you automatically.   Direct uploads of large images make the hosting services mad because it EATS space.   Just FYI.
Blake MF'ing McBride
1988 Mazda RX7 - Turbo LS1/T56/ProEFI/8.8/Not Slow...   sold.
1965 Mustang Coupe - TT Coyote, TR6060, modern brakes/suspension...  project car
2016 BMW 428i xDrive Gran Coupe - Completely stock...ish

Offline cholmes

« Reply #19 on: November 19, 2020, 01:49:07 AM »
I'll look into it, thanks. I resized the photos to 854 x 480 pixels, and even tried posting just one resized photo in a post using the "attachments" option on the reply window. No luck. Same error message. Didn't think of the gallery feature, will try that.

Offline Exidous

« Reply #20 on: November 19, 2020, 02:10:17 AM »
If you are using your phone give image resizer a try. Keeps the overall size without too much loss.
94 BB Sleeved gen IV LS7, MS3ProU with TC, RONIN 8.8 and LT's with custom 3.5"single to VAREX muffler.

Offline cholmes

« Reply #21 on: November 19, 2020, 02:47:37 AM »
Yep, I downloaded photos from phone to desktop and resized to 854 x 480 pixels using resizer.

Offline cholmes

« Reply #22 on: November 19, 2020, 03:26:24 AM »
Ok gents, I've had a hell of a time posting the photos of how I adapted a Ram slave to an oem slave base. Going to try doing a series of posts, with one photo in each. I used this Ram slave:

https://www.speedwaymotors.com/Ram-Clutches-78125HD-Heavy-Duty-Chevy-Hydraulic-Release-Bearing-Kit,104615.html

to replace an oem slave on a T5 from a '97 Camaro. This oem slave is the same one used on a stock '98 - '02 F-body T56 trans. This first photo shows an oem slave, an oem slave base, and the Ram slave with its locating stud, and shims. Notice that the base has a tall inner sleeve, and a shorter outer sleeve that sticks up from the base.
[ Guests cannot view attachments ]

Offline cholmes

« Reply #23 on: November 19, 2020, 03:27:52 AM »
This photo shows the grooves in the sleeve of the oem base. The throw-out bearing moves along this bare aluminum sleeve that is part of the base. The grooves cause sticky action.

Offline cholmes

« Reply #24 on: November 19, 2020, 03:29:33 AM »
The next photo shows the machined oem slave base that makes it serve as a mount for the Ram slave. The steps in modifying the base were:

1. I removed the stock throw-out bearing, spring and (if I remember right) a rubber seal that was in between the two sleeves on the base. Basically, I removed everything to end up with a bare aluminum base.

2. I cut off the fluid connections with a hacksaw, then chucked the inner sleeve of the base in my lathe chuck, and turned the base O.D. until it was completely round.

3. I then flipped the base in the lathe chuck, with the chuck grabbing the O.D. of the base. Then I turned the base to remove the outer shorter sleeve, and to make a completely flat surface on the base, and turned the inner sleeve to be 0.005" smaller diameter than the I.D. of the Ram slave. Note: the Ram slave does NOT slide back and forth on this inner sleeve during operation. The Ram slave has its own inner sleeve that its throw-bearing slides on.

4. I then drilled / tapped a hole for the Ram locating stud on the flat surface of one of the fluid connections, using my mill. A drill press would work fine.

5. I then assembled everything. The stud got installed with red loctite and the small hardened washer below it. Then the big steel washer (not included with the Ram slave) went on the sleeve. This keeps the conical Ram shims from digging into the aluminum surface. Then the 2 Ram shims went on the sleeve, followed by the Ram slave itself.

Offline cholmes

« Reply #25 on: November 19, 2020, 03:30:31 AM »
This photo shows the finished Ram slave next to the oem slave:

Offline cholmes

« Reply #26 on: November 19, 2020, 03:32:38 AM »
This photo shows the Ram slave installed on the transmission:

Offline cholmes

« Reply #27 on: November 19, 2020, 03:33:14 AM »
Important notes, and what I would do differently next time:
1. On the last photo, you can barely see an aluminum spacer I installed between the slave base and the transmission. It's about 1/4" thick, and I don't have a photo of it, sorry. I made it on my lathe and mill. I did this to minimize the number of shims needed between the Ram slave and the base. Just fewer pieces to fall out of alignment or rattle around, was my thinking.

2. Also on the last photo, you can see where I had to elongate the hole in the bell housing where the hoses come out. This is because the hoses move forward with the throw-out bearing when you push on the clutch pedal. The oem hoses don't move. Next time, I'll rotate the assembly 180* when I bolt it in, and loop the hoses around and out the bell housing hole. Looking at the LS specific aftermarket slaves, I think that's what they do.

3. Regarding hose sizes, I used a -4 hose from the master cylinder to the slave, and a -3 from the slave to a remote bleeder. This way I can't mix them up when I remove / replace them during a tranny or clutch change.

4. The number of Ram shims, the thickness of the steel washer used between the shims and the slave base, and the thickness of the spacer between the base and the transmission, all have to be figured out for YOUR application. Follow the Ram instructions carefully, there are several measurements that must be made. Get it wrong, and the sleeve on the base might hit the clutch pressure plate fingers, or you might over-stroke the slave and break it, or damage your pressure plate.

As you can see, this is a good way to make a $204 Ram slave work, but it's far from a bolt-in deal.

Offline cholmes

« Reply #28 on: November 19, 2020, 03:35:59 AM »
Finally got photos up! The problem: Chrome browser didn't work, went back to outdated Internet Explorer and got it done. Still had to do one photo per post, otherwise the order of the photos got scrambled and didn't match up right with text.

Joel, hope this info and photos help.