July 09, 2020, 10:02:04 AM

Author Topic: VIDEO Series - Turbo 5.3 FD - Garage Build - Project Mackenzie  (Read 363 times)

Offline Joel

I actually didn't want to swap this car with an LS, but after buying it, Rotary blown, I just couldn't justify rebuilding the 13b. I had my 5.3 laying around and it simply made sense. Here's the intro video...

« Last Edit: July 02, 2020, 09:15:14 PM by Joel »

Offline Joel

Re: VIDEO Series - Turbo 5.3 Garage Build
« Reply #1 on: June 21, 2020, 05:58:21 PM »
Second video digging into the bay.
Does anyone know what an FD trans and a Mazdaspeed PPF goes for nowadays?

Offline Exidous

« Reply #2 on: June 21, 2020, 06:04:53 PM »
Not much unfortunately. The trans should fetch a few bucks as long as it was healthy.
94 BB Sleeved gen IV LS7, MS3ProU with TC, RONIN 8.8 and LT's with custom 3.5"single to VAREX muffler.

Offline flattop

Offline Joel

« Reply #4 on: June 22, 2020, 02:00:39 PM »
Here's an example of a sold Mazdaspeed PPF

https://www.rx7club.com/3rd-generation-rx-7-1993-2002-parts-99/mazdaspeed-exedy-carbon-turblown-re-amemiya-radium-1140239/

HOLY FUCK, $1,100 lmfao. I thought it was like 350 or something considering they sold for almost 600 brand new when they were available.

Offline AHarada

« Reply #5 on: June 22, 2020, 10:07:06 PM »
Very clean base to start on.  The videos were pretty cool too.  I'm looking forward to following this build. My car is a street car with around 400whp, and it is incredibly fun and fast, I can't even imagine what it would be like with 500+.

Off topic, but what product was used on your garage floors, and do you like it?
[smg id=6954]

Offline Joel

« Reply #6 on: June 23, 2020, 01:28:06 AM »
Thanks! 400 is definitely a lot for these small cars. I hate how that's not even considered a lot of power relatively to all the 1,000hp builds out there. This project will progress and eventually I'll go for larger power, but for now, 500ish will be wayyyy more than sufficient.

The floor is Rustoleum epoxy. Essentially the kits you can find at Home Depot. I used about 3 boxes and each box/kit is under a $100 bucks. It won't last forever, due to oils/fluids, but it's quite resistant and will last many many years.

Offline Joel

« Reply #7 on: June 29, 2020, 01:48:15 PM »
Removed the dash this weekend
Bought a Ford 8.8 Diff and axles
Bought an AEM Infinity ECU, digital dash and all the sensors I'll need. Anyone know what happened to Broadfield Customs? I was really hoping to not have to fill in my cluster myself lol.

Here's the video!

Offline kinger

« Reply #8 on: June 29, 2020, 02:49:27 PM »
I like the vids, the FD dash and plastics in general are like glass but valued at gold pricing.  Any clips and stuff you break, hot glue is your friend on reassembly.  It will strength the dash and ensure no rattles.  Mine is rattle free (for the most part lol) and I love that in a street car. 

The mazda wiring is complicated, my car came with a full electrical manual written by the electrical guru Halfspec on here and I still have a hard time reading it. 

Great build!  the $6k rotary rebuild may look cheap in the end though LOL 
93 Touring, 6.3L, T56 Magnum, Mamo RPS BC2 clutch, FAST 90, NW 90TB TB, 8.8, samberg everything, AC, PS, TC, Cruise, LED Tails, HID head lights

Offline Joel

« Reply #9 on: June 29, 2020, 02:55:52 PM »
I like the vids, the FD dash and plastics in general are like glass but valued at gold pricing.  Any clips and stuff you break, hot glue is your friend on reassembly.  It will strength the dash and ensure no rattles.  Mine is rattle free (for the most part lol) and I love that in a street car. 

The mazda wiring is complicated, my car came with a full electrical manual written by the electrical guru Halfspec on here and I still have a hard time reading it. 

Great build!  the $6k rotary rebuild may look cheap in the end though LOL

I already found a lot of hot glue all over the backsides of some of the plastics hahaha. I'm going to attempt to source new trim if I can find it and see what's still available at the dealer. I also hate rattles and will make sure that I don't have any left...doubt it though lmfao

I 100% went through Halfspec's build in it's entirety, amazing, and also went through "his" FSM on wiring. It for sure is complicated, but I like the approach he had. I might actually have a friend of mine, electrical engineer, rebuild a brand new harness from scratch utilizing all the same wiring colors as Mazda for easy diagnosing using the factory Mazda manual and all new connectors (he has sourced most of them so far). He's in the process of planning it out and I'll know more about the outcome of that in the following weeks.

Regarding build cost, yeah, after some purchases I made this weekend, I'm now just going full retard lol...

Offline Venom13132

• Staged
  • 95 RX-7 LS1 T56 FEED Widebody
  • View Gallery
    • View Profile
    • Venom Speed Shop
« Reply #10 on: June 29, 2020, 03:21:27 PM »
check out bubbletech and Drakes (Draklore.com)  for interior parts
1995 RX-7 - LS1, T56: Feed wide body, Feed CF Side skirts, 57DR 18's, K-Sport coilovers, 99 spec\ tails and spoiler, SpeedHut, Aeromotive, TwinZ Diffuser
2000 Ford Excursion - V10 4x4 winter beater, pulls my 18' car hauler
2006 BMW 650i - 4.8l V8 6-Speed Manual - Daily Driver

Offline Joel

« Reply #11 on: June 29, 2020, 03:23:21 PM »
check out bubbletech and Drakes (Draklore.com)  for interior parts

Thank you!

Offline kinger

« Reply #12 on: June 30, 2020, 10:01:12 AM »
Is that 5.3 a iron block?  It looks like probably in the vid, couldn't tell but painted blue? 

That is my reservation on boost is the extra 100lb of iron and 100lb on turbo piping, etc.  Going with a stroker or mild ls3 NA saves over 200lbs of the front and gets the car back to 49.5 to 50.5 distribution.  I know a guy that had a iron block in a fd then swapped it out for a alum block (a lot of work for 100lbs) and he said it was worth it. 

I wanted the boosted 4 digit car once too and some smarter guys on here namely @largeorangefont convinced me to tire my 425whp stroker properly and it would be like adding boost and he was pretty spot on.  The car hooks and books with NT01 tires. 

Not trying to derail your build just some perspective that I'm sure you already considered but wanted to reinforce.  Its really hard to beat a 400-500 whp aluminun swap fd with NT01s.  They are amazing to drive on the street.  Mine is full AC, ABS, PS, Cruise, and about as practical as a go kart can get and its just a ton of fun with relatively few headaches (compared to boost).  Good luck!

Just curious how long does it take to film, edit, and upload one 10 min vid? 
93 Touring, 6.3L, T56 Magnum, Mamo RPS BC2 clutch, FAST 90, NW 90TB TB, 8.8, samberg everything, AC, PS, TC, Cruise, LED Tails, HID head lights

Offline Joel

« Reply #13 on: June 30, 2020, 12:03:20 PM »
That's great perspective and I have considered this, because it is an iron block. Due to cost though, I'm sticking to the engine I have, well because, I had it already and I built it and I know it's perfect and already broken in. Plus I already had the turbo laying around, thus it was all around a cost effective choice. Also, iron block+turbo is a great combo.

For now, I want to see how this combo turns out and I'll go from there to further improve the chassis anyway I can. Thank you for the insight though.

Regarding videos, not long actually. Maybe an hour total between filming and editing. I tend to video tape what I know what I want in the video, so when it comes to editing, it's a quick process just piecing it together, adding captions, and transitions. 10-15 minutes of that time is probably spent on finding a song I like haha

Offline wompa164

« Reply #14 on: June 30, 2020, 01:23:34 PM »
Saw your thread on Reddit, looking forward to seeing your build progress