September 29, 2020, 11:15:16 AM

Author Topic: DIY Paint Job Advice  (Read 5603 times)

Offline shainiac

Re: DIY Paint Job Advice
« Reply #75 on: September 15, 2020, 11:27:02 AM »
Looking good!!
Thanks!

Uffda!  So much work!  Looking great though!  I bet your happy!
Thanks, yeah, it was much more than I anticipated. I am happy with the result, though.
'88 TII -  SBE 5.3L, Twin EFR 6758s, T56 Magnum, Ronin 8.8" IRS, MS3Pro Ultimate
716whp/662wtq @1.3bar

Offline shainiac

« Reply #76 on: September 17, 2020, 03:28:41 PM »
I cut my booth in half it's original size so that I don't have to leave the car outside.
The hood and front fenders are now complete. They turned out pretty well. No breakthroughs in the hood this time (3rd time's a charm  >:()
I did notice that this morning there was quite a bit of trash in the clear coat, especially in the hood. I don't remember seeing much when i finished spraying, so I'm not sure if this happened at some point after I was done? I'd guess I let the fans run for another 30 min after the last coat of clear went down. Should I leave the fans running over night? The booth got swept out 30 minutes before spraying, then the floors got wet down, and finally all the panels got tack cloth'd right before spraying. I also wore a painter's suite and left the booth closed up during the whole painting process.

To try and get rid of the dirt nibs on the chassis, I bought a carbide Mirka Shark Blade. It's a little carbide tool that's supposed to basically shave drips and nibs flush to the panel and leave a smooth enough finish that can just be buffed out. Well, I tried it a few times and thought I had the hang of it until I tried shaving a rogue drip by the taillight and took a big bite straight to primer :banghead:
It just so happened to be on the only 1" section of visible body paint between the over fender and tail light lol. Oh well, I guess I get to try doing touchups now.

'88 TII -  SBE 5.3L, Twin EFR 6758s, T56 Magnum, Ronin 8.8" IRS, MS3Pro Ultimate
716whp/662wtq @1.3bar

Offline digitalsolo

• Administrator
  • Top Fuel
  • View Gallery
    • View Profile
    • LS1FC.com
« Reply #77 on: September 17, 2020, 07:42:57 PM »
This is the "joy" of painting, haha.    Good news is when you're done with all of it, you'll know how to do it better!   LOL

I repainted a fender on my Mustang 3x and the hood 2x.   Practice makes... decent.  :D

30 minutes should be more than enough time for the clear to flash off, though, I'd think.
Blake MF'ing McBride
1988 Mazda RX7 - Turbo LS1/T56/ProEFI/8.8/Not Slow...   sold.
1965 Mustang Coupe - TT Coyote, TR6060, modern brakes/suspension...  project car
2016 BMW 428i xDrive Gran Coupe - Completely stock...ish

Offline sciff5

« Reply #78 on: September 18, 2020, 02:53:27 PM »
Looks good man. Painting and body work are deff a matter of hard tedious work combined with a little trial and error.

Offline shainiac

« Reply #79 on: Today at 09:16:13 AM »
Nearly done with all the spraying! I was finishing up the front bumper, mirrors, trim, and door handles, but I ran out of clear coat  :banghead:
This resulted in a lot of dry spray from areas that didn't quite get enough clear to wet out. Also, as the weather has been getting cooler, I've noticed a lot more runs. I think it's mostly to do with me being impatient with dry times between coats. My booth is also pretty rough at this point. There's just a lot of dry overspray static clung to the plastic sheeting and the panels I've painted recently look noticeably dirtier than the panels I painted a month ago.

New clear coat should be here by the weekend so I can finish the trim and redo the mirrors. Then I need to start wet sanding and buffing.

716whp/662wtq @1.3bar