September 29, 2020, 08:40:45 AM

Author Topic: DIY Paint Job Advice  (Read 5588 times)

Offline shainiac

Re: DIY Paint Job Advice
« Reply #45 on: June 25, 2020, 07:59:34 AM »
Thanks for the advice, guys. I'm going to shoot one more test panel before I decide whether I want to keep the pearl or not. It'd be a lot easier to just paint the car black since the car is already torn down. The biggest issue is that I can't fit all the panels on panel stands AND the car in any sort of booth that fits in my garage. I'd have to prime/base them separately then assemble the car for pearl/clear. Also, my Shine FC2000 bumper overlaps the fender and it'd be impossible to paint it on the car without omitting portions of the fender from getting pearl/clear. I like how the pearl looks, but I'm still not confidence that I can lay it consistently enough to make adjacent panels match when sprayed separately.

I also ordered 20X 10' sticks of 1" SCH40 PVC to build a booth frame. Did some measuring and I can make it 20'x12' and it fits pretty well. It'll basically span the distance between my garage door rails which gives me something sturdy to attach the frame to.

'88 TII -  SBE 5.3L, Twin EFR 6758s, T56 Magnum, Ronin 8.8" IRS, MS3Pro Ultimate
716whp/662wtq @1.3bar

Offline Exidous

« Reply #46 on: June 25, 2020, 08:30:02 AM »
Personally not a fan of pearl in black. I'd leave it out IMO.
94 BB Sleeved gen IV LS7, MS3ProU with TC, RONIN 8.8 and LT's with custom 3.5"single to VAREX muffler.

Offline shainiac

« Reply #47 on: June 29, 2020, 08:22:29 AM »
Mostly finished with the prep and booth. Only a few little things to do like cut the holes for the filters and fans.
For now, the plan is 2x 20" box fans feeding filtered air into the booth, and 2-4 panel filters on the opposite side of the booth exhausting air out the open garage doors. Not sure whether it's best to put the fans and filters up high or down low or some combination.

Glad to have the booth basically done. It's been in the mid 80s and very humid lately. I've been working with the garage doors shut to keep dust out. With all the plastic sheeting, having any fans on made working impossible. Apparenly  paint booth can double as sweat lodge.
I also added 4x 4' LED bars above the car, a flood light at the front and rear, and I'll have a worklight inside the booth if I need.

One other concern/oversight - To maximize the booth size, I put the car sideways in the garage. Now there's no easy way for me to pull the car out of the booth to sand the primer. Would I be making a huge mistake trying to do the primer block sanding in the same booth I'll be spraying base/clear? I'd do my best to clean it well, but the staticky plastic holds on to the dust pretty well.

Near-finished booth

Paint cart

'88 TII -  SBE 5.3L, Twin EFR 6758s, T56 Magnum, Ronin 8.8" IRS, MS3Pro Ultimate
716whp/662wtq @1.3bar

Offline Exidous

« Reply #48 on: June 29, 2020, 02:24:53 PM »
I'd do what you can to sand elsewhere.
94 BB Sleeved gen IV LS7, MS3ProU with TC, RONIN 8.8 and LT's with custom 3.5"single to VAREX muffler.

Offline Cobranut

« Reply #49 on: June 29, 2020, 11:00:47 PM »
You'll regret it if you sand in that booth. 😫
You've built what should be an effective booth, don't screw it up with sanding dust that will be nearly impossible to remove.
1995 FD, 7.0 Liter stroked LS3, T56, 8.8, Samberg kit.

Offline rk970

« Reply #50 on: June 30, 2020, 02:21:24 PM »
Is that a rotor and e-shaft I see.. Anyhoo.. are you going to put down a seal coat before the color?

Offline shainiac

« Reply #51 on: June 30, 2020, 02:46:33 PM »
Yup, I'm going to etch prime all the bare metal spots from body work and and then lay down several coats of high build.

I did some measurements and I think I'll be able to pull the middle pole, peel the back plastic off and dolly the car outside to sand without too much trouble.
Finished the booth last night. With 2 box fans and 2 exhaust filters, the whole booth gets some decent positive pressure.

716whp/662wtq @1.3bar

Offline Exidous

« Reply #52 on: June 30, 2020, 04:27:59 PM »
Do you have filters on the box fans as well?

Offline shainiac

« Reply #53 on: June 30, 2020, 05:11:40 PM »
Yup, the filters are taped to the inside of the booth and the box fans are taped to the outside of the booth.
716whp/662wtq @1.3bar

Offline freeskier7791

« Reply #54 on: July 07, 2020, 07:47:42 AM »
I would do anything you can to not sand in the booth, I think that it may seem like a shortcut but you will end up hating it in the end
https://www.youtube.com/thedriftingdad
1985 Mazda RX7 GSL Drift Car

CCVT

Offline shainiac

« Reply #55 on: July 07, 2020, 09:13:24 AM »
I'm pretty sure that I can sneak the car out the corner of the booth and sand outside. That's the plan, anyways.
Last night I spot sprayed the etch primer on the bare metal spots. The industrial can of etch primer I bought online would spit droplets every 2-3 seconds  :angry: and the coverage was shit. I ended up trashing that can and using the parts-store etch primer I already had on hand. It sprayed and covered WAY better.
But now the ENTIRE car is covered in dry overspray from the spray cans. I dunno if I should scuff and wipe down the whole car again? The overspray comes off on you hands if you rub a panel, so I don't think I should shoot the high build without doing something about it. Going to see how well it comes off with solvent wax/grease remover.

716whp/662wtq @1.3bar

Offline digitalsolo

• Administrator
  • Top Fuel
  • View Gallery
    • View Profile
    • LS1FC.com
« Reply #56 on: July 07, 2020, 02:52:08 PM »
I’d hit it lightly with a gray scotch brite then wax/grease remove it.
Blake MF'ing McBride
1988 Mazda RX7 - Turbo LS1/T56/ProEFI/8.8/Not Slow...   sold.
1965 Mustang Coupe - TT Coyote, TR6060, modern brakes/suspension...  project car
2016 BMW 428i xDrive Gran Coupe - Completely stock...ish

Offline Cobranut

« Reply #57 on: July 07, 2020, 09:10:39 PM »
You definitely need to remove the overspray.  I think the solvent should do it, though it may take a few passes.
At lease that won't produce sanding dust in your booth.
1995 FD, 7.0 Liter stroked LS3, T56, 8.8, Samberg kit.

Offline Exidous

« Reply #58 on: July 08, 2020, 02:12:36 AM »
I'm with Blake on the scotch Brite. Add in the wax remover to keep dust down. Should be okay.
Next time do a little test on so e cardboard. If it does that again give it a bath in hot water to up the pressure.

Offline shainiac

« Reply #59 on: July 08, 2020, 08:11:38 AM »
I used about a dozen microfibers and solvent-based wax/grease remover and was able to buff the overspray off. It seemed to melt the parts-store brand etch primer way easier than the industrial can I wasn't happy with.
Anyways, I cleaned the car one more time, cleaned the booth again, tack clothed the car and sprayed primer last night. I ended up doing 4 light-ish coats and using about 1/2 gal total. I probably put down an extra 2-4 coats in the areas I did body work and the body lines where I know it needs work. Pretty happy with the process so far. I ended up using a 1.3mm tip, which seems small after doing some reading, but that’s what the primer manufacturer recommends in the TDS. I sprayed a test piece using a 1.8mm tip and it had crazy orange peel, so I stuck with the 1.3mm.

So far, the only thing I’d do differently is buy a proper 2-part sprayable etch, DTM urethane, or epoxy primer rather than aerosol crap for the bare metal spots. Yeah, cleaning the gun sucks, but it would have laid down faster and my thumb wouldn’t hurt lol.

716whp/662wtq @1.3bar