September 29, 2020, 08:44:07 AM

Author Topic: Do any FC drop vent hoods work with swap?  (Read 314 times)

Offline jwvand02

Do any FC drop vent hoods work with swap?
« on: September 04, 2020, 12:48:34 PM »
I've long been unsatisfied with heat management in my FC and this winter the plan is to go max effort radiator ducting. From a aerodynamics/functional standpoint, by far the best solution is to duct the air through the radiator directly out of the hood. I'd really like to do a drop vent like the panspeed-type hood from Shine, but I suspect that drop vent probably just smacks the throttle body on a swapped car. Worst case I'll just cut a big ass hole in my hood, but I'd like that to be the last resort  :D

Has anyone tried it?

Offline shainiac

Re: Do any FC drop vent hoods work with swap?
« Reply #1 on: September 04, 2020, 01:10:57 PM »
Probably not as effective as a drop vent and ducted radiator, but LRB makes a flat-packed hood vent set for the NA FC hoods.
It know it's not exactly what you're asking, but it should help lower the underhood pressure which will increase airflow through the rad.
It's also a lot cheaper than buying and shipping a FG hood!
https://lrbspeed.com/product/fc-hood-vents/
'88 TII -  SBE 5.3L, Twin EFR 6758s, T56 Magnum, Ronin 8.8" IRS, MS3Pro Ultimate
716whp/662wtq @1.3bar

Offline jwvand02

« Reply #2 on: September 04, 2020, 04:09:18 PM »
Probably not as effective as a drop vent and ducted radiator, but LRB makes a flat-packed hood vent set for the NA FC hoods.
It know it's not exactly what you're asking, but it should help lower the underhood pressure which will increase airflow through the rad.
It's also a lot cheaper than buying and shipping a FG hood!
https://lrbspeed.com/product/fc-hood-vents/
I actually already have these! Those were the first thing I tried and did indeed help quite a bit.

Offline shainiac

« Reply #3 on: September 04, 2020, 05:16:07 PM »
Have you thought about doing a "uras"-style hood vent? They're cheap and would only add hood clearance.
'88 TII -  SBE 5.3L, Twin EFR 6758s, T56 Magnum, Ronin 8.8" IRS, MS3Pro Ultimate
716whp/662wtq @1.3bar

Offline jwvand02

« Reply #4 on: September 04, 2020, 08:19:59 PM »
Have you thought about doing a "uras"-style hood vent? They're cheap and would only add hood clearance.
That's an idea. I never knew what those were called. If I end up cutting the stock hood I think I might go with something like that.

Offline 65imp

« Reply #5 on: September 08, 2020, 12:28:28 PM »
Our Ronin vented hoods work wel for FC and FD swaps.  The raised portion for the cowl gives better throttle body clearance. 
absolute power corrupts absolutely  :yay:
93 FD widebody - destroked
69 Suburban - positive manifold pressure
72 Blazer - 6.0, 6speed 4wd
65 Impala - 5.7
59 cad  - 5.3
53 spartan - crash pad status

Offline jwvand02

« Reply #6 on: September 08, 2020, 04:16:49 PM »
Our Ronin vented hoods work wel for FC and FD swaps.  The raised portion for the cowl gives better throttle body clearance.
Last I checked you didn't have an FC hood listed. If there's one available I'd love to hear about it...

Offline 65imp

« Reply #7 on: September 10, 2020, 01:14:21 PM »
We have had the same vented hood available for both FC and FD for years, but it appears none of our FC pictures are on the website.  I'll see if I can dig them up. 
absolute power corrupts absolutely  :yay:
93 FD widebody - destroked
69 Suburban - positive manifold pressure
72 Blazer - 6.0, 6speed 4wd
65 Impala - 5.7
59 cad  - 5.3
53 spartan - crash pad status

Offline jwvand02

« Reply #8 on: September 11, 2020, 11:50:01 AM »
We have had the same vented hood available for both FC and FD for years, but it appears none of our FC pictures are on the website.  I'll see if I can dig them up.
Thanks - I just went and checked again and the top-level title for the hood is "FD Vented Hood" so I never checked, I see how that there is an FC option buried in there. It says to reach out directly so I will do that.