September 29, 2020, 09:14:00 AM

Author Topic: DIY Paint Job Advice  (Read 5590 times)

Online shainiac

DIY Paint Job Advice
« on: May 21, 2020, 10:14:46 AM »
Hi guys,

I'm looking to re-spray my FC in my home garage and I'm looking for any advice or pointers you may have.
I originally planned on vinyl wrapping the car myself, but I wasn't happy with how some of the blemishes showed through the vinyl. I figure if I'm going to do the body work to make the car straight and fix dents and chips, I'm half to repainting the car anyways.

My goal is to have a decent single stage or base/clear black paint job. I'm not a car show guy, I'm probably not going to take care of it like I should, and I don't want something I'll wipe with a silk hanky and park in the back corner of every parking lot. I also don't really want to re-spray the jams and engine bay, which is why I'm opting to keep the factory color of black.
Not saying I want to cut corners, but I'm not trying to spend a ton of money and I want to do it myself.

So, here's what I'm working with - I have a 24'x32' garage with support beams. With the car parked sideways, there's 13'x24' of unobstructed workspace. It's not super dusty, but definitely not a paint booth. 
For an air compressor, I have an older Craftsman 25 gal that's rated at 6.2 CFM @ 90psi / 8.4 CFM @ 40psi. It's mounted in the upstairs of my garage and is about the max size/weight that I can carry up there myself. I don't really have the room or budget to buy a larger compressor, so I'm considering using a LVLP spray gun to skimp on CFM. Also, I want to replumb the garage with all new copper line and buy or build a decent desiccant dryer for when I actually plan on spraying.

As for a booth, It seems that some people have good luck just spraying in a clean garage. I already bought a nice vapor-rated respirator, but I'm not sure if it's worth the extra work to build a plastic booth inside the garage. The ceilings are low (8.5' I think) and the area I'd be working in is also under the garage door motors. My thought was to blow the entire garage out with a backpack blower and then pressure wash the floors the day before spraying.

Obviously prep is key. I don't really have much experience with body work, so I've been watching lot of tutorials and playing around with some product on scrap. It's still not clear to me if the entire car needs reprimed if the majority of the paint is okay, just scratches and dents.

Sorry for the ramble. Any advice and tips would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks,
Alex

'88 TII -  SBE 5.3L, Twin EFR 6758s, T56 Magnum, Ronin 8.8" IRS, MS3Pro Ultimate
716whp/662wtq @1.3bar

Offline Exidous

Re: DIY Paint Job Advice
« Reply #1 on: May 21, 2020, 12:51:36 PM »
The best advice I can think of is watch b is for build. Even with a dedicated setup for paint he is still a prime example of how not to do it. Ha

Skip the single stage.

Only sand the primer enough to make it smooth. Use less grit than you want. Paper scratches suck. Experiment with the color mixture until it lays almost perfectly smooth. Do not sand. Lay the clear like the color. If you get runs or too much egg shell the mixture is off for the temperature and humidity.

Make a makeshift pressurized room. Two fans in (filtered) and one fan out. Keep the floor wet in-between steps.
94 BB Sleeved gen IV LS7, MS3ProU with TC, RONIN 8.8 and LT's with custom 3.5"single to VAREX muffler.

Online shainiac

« Reply #2 on: May 21, 2020, 01:13:44 PM »
Great tips, thanks! You had me worried when you recommended B is for Build until I finished reading the sentence lol.
'88 TII -  SBE 5.3L, Twin EFR 6758s, T56 Magnum, Ronin 8.8" IRS, MS3Pro Ultimate
716whp/662wtq @1.3bar

Offline Sabre002

• Supporting Member
  • Top Fuel
  • View Gallery
    • View Profile
    • Mazda Motorsports
« Reply #3 on: May 21, 2020, 02:27:40 PM »
Best advice I have is

Don't do it lol.

I painted my first car that I still have and I have never done it again.  It made me dislike paint work so much.  Who knows you might like it though. 
Josh
Technical Development, Mazda Motorsports
For info on how to join Mazda Motorsports Team Support Program Email me.
Jsmit295@mazdausa.com

Offline digitalsolo

• Administrator
  • Top Fuel
  • View Gallery
    • View Profile
    • LS1FC.com
« Reply #4 on: May 21, 2020, 03:15:11 PM »
I've painted 4 cars in garages.    Well, I've been involved in 4.   Two I had friends do on my RX7s.   One I did myself on the RX7 and one I did myself on my Mustang.

I did plastic booths in the garage on the first 3, I just tarped the garage off on the Mustang.    Having a big compressor (80 gallon) and decent guns (I used Devilbiss FinishLine guns which were pretty cheap, like 100 dollars a set) is crucial.   Prep is crucial.    I prefer base/clear.

Base is pretty easy.   Clear is harder to shoot nicely, you want to lean towards the wet side, it's easier to take out a few small runs than it is to fix dry spray on the whole car!    Watch lots of videos!

BTW, for what you'll pay for an okay garage paint job, you could just have Maaco shoot it and it will probably be better than your first try, just FWIW.     My Mustang paint came out pretty well, but I have 1200 dollars in materials alone there, so.   
Blake MF'ing McBride
1988 Mazda RX7 - Turbo LS1/T56/ProEFI/8.8/Not Slow...   sold.
1965 Mustang Coupe - TT Coyote, TR6060, modern brakes/suspension...  project car
2016 BMW 428i xDrive Gran Coupe - Completely stock...ish

Online shainiac

« Reply #5 on: May 21, 2020, 05:02:07 PM »
Thanks for the pointers, guys. Any recommendations for good value primer/base/clear?
Also, has anyone ever used a LVLP gun? It's hard to see what the real downsides are from youtube videos, but it's hard to argue the much lower CFM requirements. I'm really hoping to squeak by with my small compressor. Going from 13CFM for a HVLP to ~8CFM for a LVLP sounds significant, even if my compressor can't keep up, it would give me more dwell time between dropping too low.
716whp/662wtq @1.3bar

Offline Exidous

« Reply #6 on: May 21, 2020, 05:13:03 PM »
Great tips, thanks! You had me worried when you recommended B is for Build until I finished reading the sentence lol.

That's why I worded it like that. Get you worried right off the bat. Ha

I repainted teh back of my car. I too am in the really don't like body work category. That being said I fear my need to be cheap may outweigh my distaste for body work and end up doing the whole car myself.

One option is a quality HVLP turbine setup. There are super high quality setups on Ebay pretty regularly. Eliminates the gun, compressor and clean air fiasco. Plus, they are extremely efficient.  4-5 stage and 8psi minimum.
94 BB Sleeved gen IV LS7, MS3ProU with TC, RONIN 8.8 and LT's with custom 3.5"single to VAREX muffler.

Online shainiac

« Reply #7 on: May 21, 2020, 05:20:30 PM »
The "need to be cheap may outweigh my distaste for body work" resonates strongly with me lol.
I'll have to look into the HVLP turbine setups. I had no idea that was a thing. I might be able to sell that one to my wife because we could use it to paint the house  :cheers:
716whp/662wtq @1.3bar

Offline Exidous

« Reply #8 on: May 21, 2020, 05:22:37 PM »
The "need to be cheap may outweigh my distaste for body work" resonates strongly with me lol.
I'll have to look into the HVLP turbine setups. I had no idea that was a thing. I might be able to sell that one to my wife because we could use it to paint the house  :cheers:

Check out Titan and Fuji. You absolutely can use them for house and fence painting. They aren't quiet. Think vacuum getting ready for takeoff. The expensive ones aren't as bad though.

GM made the move to a ~10psi setup and, in wasted paint alone, it saved them millions each day in overspray.

Offline Cobranut

« Reply #9 on: May 21, 2020, 09:52:27 PM »
I've painted 4 cars in garages.    Well, I've been involved in 4.   Two I had friends do on my RX7s.   One I did myself on the RX7 and one I did myself on my Mustang.

I did plastic booths in the garage on the first 3, I just tarped the garage off on the Mustang.    Having a big compressor (80 gallon) and decent guns (I used Devilbiss FinishLine guns which were pretty cheap, like 100 dollars a set) is crucial.   Prep is crucial.    I prefer base/clear.

Base is pretty easy.   Clear is harder to shoot nicely, you want to lean towards the wet side, it's easier to take out a few small runs than it is to fix dry spray on the whole car!    Watch lots of videos!

BTW, for what you'll pay for an okay garage paint job, you could just have Maaco shoot it and it will probably be better than your first try, just FWIW.     My Mustang paint came out pretty well, but I have 1200 dollars in materials alone there, so.   

I agree with Blake.
You can do all the prep work, as that doesn't need a booth, and though it takes elbow grease, you can move slowly as you learn at first.
When it comes to actually laying down the paint, you have to move at the correct pace, and it isn't so easy to go back and correct mistakes.
The guys at Maaco spray cars every day.  They should be capable of laying down a very good finish on the first shot, which will save considerable money by not wasting expensive materials.
1995 FD, 7.0 Liter stroked LS3, T56, 8.8, Samberg kit.

Online shainiac

« Reply #10 on: May 21, 2020, 10:21:26 PM »
Thanks, guys. Looks like either way I have plenty of prep and body work to do before I decide if I want to spray it myself or pay someone else.

Patrick, is this the sprayer you were talking about? Seems to be the only one in my price range that has decent reviews. I found a few people that have painted cars with them, but most people are using them for wood working.
https://www.amazon.com/Fuji-2203G-Semi-PRO-Gravity-System/dp/B00D4NPPQY/ref=sr_1_1?crid=3VZFWSQF4UZ35&dchild=1&keywords=fuji+semi+pro+2&qid=1590111572&s=hi&sprefix=fuji%2Ctools%2C166&sr=1-1#customerReviews
716whp/662wtq @1.3bar

Offline Exidous

« Reply #11 on: May 21, 2020, 11:31:58 PM »
That's the right brand but only a 2 stage.

https://www.ebay.com/itm/Titan-Capspray-hvlp-95/254603226498?hash=item3b4788ed82:g:sYQAAOSw6WleoQHl

Still a little expensive but if you can manage get a 3-4 stage.

Offline jwvand02

« Reply #12 on: May 22, 2020, 10:57:10 AM »
Anyone have strong opinions on vinyl as the superior DIY option? It seems in theory to me that you can do the prep/filler/sealer in your garage without a ton of trouble or investment and then use vinyl over that. I know vinyl is kind of a headache, but it seems like if you're patient you can nearly guarantee a good result with vinyl. This seems particularly true if you think there are constant changes to bodywork in the future.

Online shainiac

« Reply #13 on: May 22, 2020, 04:11:19 PM »
I put a good amount of time and money into trying to make the vinyl work, but about all I have to show for it are 35 remaining feet of vinyl on a roll that's likely going to get thrown away lol. I watched TONS of videos, practiced on some smaller and easier panels, and still royally messed up wrapping my car.
Here's my #1 issue with vinyl - you need experience to plan out how you're going to attack a specific panel. If you choose the wrong path, you'll end up working your way into an irreversible situation where you'll have to start over. And if you mess up a hood twice, you now no longer have enough vinyl to finish the car. There are plenty of people who can figure it out and do beautiful work, I'm just not one of them I guess lol.
716whp/662wtq @1.3bar

Offline jwvand02

« Reply #14 on: May 22, 2020, 05:18:31 PM »
I put a good amount of time and money into trying to make the vinyl work, but about all I have to show for it are 35 remaining feet of vinyl on a roll that's likely going to get thrown away lol. I watched TONS of videos, practiced on some smaller and easier panels, and still royally messed up wrapping my car.
Here's my #1 issue with vinyl - you need experience to plan out how you're going to attack a specific panel. If you choose the wrong path, you'll end up working your way into an irreversible situation where you'll have to start over. And if you mess up a hood twice, you now no longer have enough vinyl to finish the car. There are plenty of people who can figure it out and do beautiful work, I'm just not one of them I guess lol.
Man, I appreciate that perspective. I have yet to try it and the videos make it look so easy... never really thought about the whole "you've got one shot at the hood" thing