June 06, 2020, 02:28:41 AM

Author Topic: FC LS turbo kit options\opinions  (Read 147 times)

Offline Thrule01

FC LS turbo kit options\opinions
« on: May 19, 2020, 10:13:25 AM »
What turbo kit options are available and yall recommend? I am picking up a shell that I am swapping and I can only seem to find stock 13b upgrade or 2jz swap kits.

A few friends have suggested getting cx 240 manifold kit and build rest after that, some have suggested buy like a full foxbody or g body on3 setup and just modifying it. Trying to go with something that I wont have to have modified.

Offline shainiac

Re: FC LS turbo kit options\opinions
« Reply #1 on: May 19, 2020, 10:23:41 AM »
A lot of people use stock manifolds flipped side-side so that they exit forward and build their own kit.
There are a plethora of different manifolds that you can make fit depending on if you want single or twin turbo and what engine accessories you're running. CTS-V, GTO, LS3 Camaro, F-body, Truck manifolds...
I'd suggest avoiding the "kit" manifolds for a few reasons. Mostly, they make changing spark plugs a giant pain and you'll constantly be worrying about changing plug wires.
They're usually overly-large tubing for a turbo setup. Plenty of people have made over 1000whp with turbo kits made from OEM manifolds, you don't want or need a 3" collector per bank since the inlet to a T4 or T6 inlet is much smaller.
Your easiest option would be to put the turbo behind the passenger headlight area and run stock manifolds flipped forward, 2.25" tubing from the manifolds to the turbo and you'll still be able to run a 3 or 3.5" exhaust down and out the passenger firewall for a full exhaust. There are several guys with setups like that around here.

What are your power goals?
'88 TII -  SBE 5.3L, Twin EFR 6758s, T56 Magnum, Ronin 8.8" IRS, MS3Pro Ultimate
716whp/662wtq @1.3bar

Offline Thrule01

Re: FC LS turbo kit options\opinions
« Reply #2 on: May 19, 2020, 12:03:19 PM »
A lot of people use stock manifolds flipped side-side so that they exit forward and build their own kit.
There are a plethora of different manifolds that you can make fit depending on if you want single or twin turbo and what engine accessories you're running. CTS-V, GTO, LS3 Camaro, F-body, Truck manifolds...
I'd suggest avoiding the "kit" manifolds for a few reasons. Mostly, they make changing spark plugs a giant pain and you'll constantly be worrying about changing plug wires.
They're usually overly-large tubing for a turbo setup. Plenty of people have made over 1000whp with turbo kits made from OEM manifolds, you don't want or need a 3" collector per bank since the inlet to a T4 or T6 inlet is much smaller.
Your easiest option would be to put the turbo behind the passenger headlight area and run stock manifolds flipped forward, 2.25" tubing from the manifolds to the turbo and you'll still be able to run a 3 or 3.5" exhaust down and out the passenger firewall for a full exhaust. There are several guys with setups like that around here.

What are your power goals?

Long term 1000. Start off around 600ish max (probably be like low 500 range) . Thats what I read after i posted this . Probably do stock manifold and exhaust out the back even tho fender/bumper is easier, due to police and since i plan to drive on the streets.

So stock manifolds and buy like a cx racing intercooler/piping kit (eventually upgrade to better cooler), and bov/wg of choice