November 26, 2020, 03:51:38 AM

Author Topic: New with a whole lot to learn.  (Read 1584 times)

Offline slippery7

Re: New with a whole lot to learn.
« Reply #15 on: June 09, 2020, 04:13:43 PM »
Yes sir; I would likely use a prefabbed cage of high quality. My first job was an iron workers helper. I can freehand a router pretty well. I would definitely be more concerned with rigidity over great looks. Gotta settle somewhere, but not on safety on a 1000+ hp car that may well end up going to one of my boys. I can clean the crap outa ugly welds though. I won't be going it alone either. That would be a bad idea. I have testicles, and can be pretty stupid, but you gotta draw the line somewhere right?  But there are quality cages for the fc if I'm not mistaken. Couldn't bolt up units still be welded up?

Thanks for all the advise

Just wanted to point out about the welding cage item and your comment above about cleaning welds. I think this applies to all the different governing bodies like NHRA and SCCA that it is against the regulation to clean up welds on a roll cage. I have some welding experience but even then i'm still on the fence about welding my own cage. Just something to consider.

Offline popsthebuilder

« Reply #16 on: June 10, 2020, 01:40:27 PM »
Good to know. Thank you.

Offline digitalsolo

• Administrator
  • Top Fuel
  • View Gallery
    • View Profile
    • LS1FC.com
« Reply #17 on: June 10, 2020, 10:01:15 PM »
I'm a pretty competent (well, vaguely competent) welder, and I won't weld a cage.
Blake MF'ing McBride
1988 Mazda RX7 - Turbo LS1/T56/ProEFI/8.8/Not Slow...   sold.
1965 Mustang Coupe - TT Coyote, TR6060, modern brakes/suspension...  project car
2016 BMW 428i xDrive Gran Coupe - Completely stock...ish