August 13, 2020, 01:31:11 PM

Author Topic: Bending small diameter tube without bender?  (Read 2539 times)

Online wickedrx7

Bending small diameter tube without bender?
« on: April 12, 2020, 07:38:27 PM »
I need to bend 1/2" diameter thin wall tube and don't have a tubing bender, any tips on how to do this?  I only need to go about 30 degrees.  My thought was to heat it up and use a conduit bender?  It doesn't need to be perfect but I don't want it to look like poop either?

Thoughts?

1993 Touring, 2012 L99, T-56, Ronnin 8.8, Ohlins, Speedhut, Samberg and lots of custom parts
Build Thread - http://www.norotors.com/index.php?topic=19354.0
Pictures - www.flikr.com/wickedrx7

Offline Exidous

Re: Bending small diameter tube without bender?
« Reply #1 on: April 12, 2020, 07:46:43 PM »
What material?
94 BB Sleeved gen IV LS7, MS3ProU with TC, RONIN 8.8 and LT's with custom 3.5"single to VAREX muffler.

Online wickedrx7

« Reply #2 on: April 12, 2020, 07:58:03 PM »
Probably chromoly but having purchased yet.

1993 Touring, 2012 L99, T-56, Ronnin 8.8, Ohlins, Speedhut, Samberg and lots of custom parts
Build Thread - http://www.norotors.com/index.php?topic=19354.0
Pictures - www.flikr.com/wickedrx7

Offline Exidous

« Reply #3 on: April 12, 2020, 08:06:56 PM »
Chromoly is picky about bending/welding kind of like SS.
94 BB Sleeved gen IV LS7, MS3ProU with TC, RONIN 8.8 and LT's with custom 3.5"single to VAREX muffler.

Offline Supe

« Reply #4 on: April 13, 2020, 07:22:23 AM »
It's going to want to wrinkle and crush the wall.  For the amount of aggravation you have into the "pack it full of sand and heat it" method, which will then ruin all of its properties as 4130, you'll be money ahead just finding someone with a tabletop bender.

Offline frijolee

« Reply #5 on: April 13, 2020, 09:00:53 PM »
The proper tools aren't expensive...  I picked up a set of three Imperial hand benders (1/4, 3/8, 1/2) for about $100 on ebay at one point.  Not saying I'd be stoked on paying retail for these since they're nice benders but anyways, the right tools does make it a heck of a lot easier. 

Short of this I'd do the pack it with sand approach, duct tape the hell out of the ends and bend it around something with a large radius (parking bollard maybe?)  No guarantees it'll work though so you might be jeapordizing your tube.
LS2 stroker FC, Mandeville big brakes, widebody, etc
Build thread:  http://www.norotors.com/index.php?topic=1274.0
www.roninspeedworks.com

LargeOrangeFont says: "Joel is right, and I love Joel. But his car sounds like the wrath of God."   ;)

Offline Cobranut

« Reply #6 on: April 13, 2020, 09:42:54 PM »
The proper tools aren't expensive...  I picked up a set of three Imperial hand benders (1/4, 3/8, 1/2) for about $100 on ebay at one point.  Not saying I'd be stoked on paying retail for these since they're nice benders but anyways, the right tools does make it a heck of a lot easier. 

Short of this I'd do the pack it with sand approach, duct tape the hell out of the ends and bend it around something with a large radius (parking bollard maybe?)  No guarantees it'll work though so you might be jeapordizing your tube.

I'm with Joel.  The imperial benders work quite well.
1995 FD, 7.0 Liter stroked LS3, T56, 8.8, Samberg kit.