February 23, 2020, 12:24:22 PM

Author Topic: 2JZ Swap Hood  (Read 324 times)

Offline Kewin

2JZ Swap Hood
« on: February 11, 2020, 09:30:16 PM »
Hello, I'm currently in talks with someone who's selling a 2jz RX7 and will most likely buy it, However. Through my research, I realized that the stock hood will not close with a 2JZ Engine since it's too high, but I read that some people develop their own subframe so the engine sits a bit lower to allow a stock hood, is this true?

I'm asking because I'm interested in adding a Veilside bodykit and I don't really want that bulk in the hood like the tech2's hood.

Thanks for reading!

Offline digitalsolo

• Administrator
  • Top Fuel
  • View Gallery
    • View Profile
    • LS1FC.com
Re: 2JZ Swap Hood
« Reply #1 on: February 12, 2020, 11:25:45 AM »
I donít see how it can be lowered enough to clear a stock hood without compromising bump steer quite a bit.    Thatís said, you may be able to move it back further with some firewall work and down just a nudge and get very close.
Blake MF'ing McBride
1988 Mazda RX7 - Turbo LS1/T56/ProEFI/8.8/Not Slow...   sold.
1965 Mustang Coupe - TT Coyote, TR6060, modern brakes/suspension...  project car
2016 BMW 428i xDrive Gran Coupe - Completely stock...ish

Offline Kewin

« Reply #2 on: February 12, 2020, 02:08:31 PM »
Yeah, I read from the rxclub forums that YoshiFD3s (owner of a swapped 2jz) managed to relocate the steering rack by moving it forward and completely removed the  bumpsteer issue

Offline digitalsolo

• Administrator
  • Top Fuel
  • View Gallery
    • View Profile
    • LS1FC.com
« Reply #3 on: February 12, 2020, 03:53:24 PM »
You'd need to redo the knuckles to move the rack forward effectively.
Blake MF'ing McBride
1965 Mustang Coupe - TT Coyote, TR6060, modern brakes/suspension...  project car

Offline Kewin

« Reply #4 on: February 13, 2020, 05:33:02 PM »
Yeah, Tie rods needs to be changed. This is what the Yoshi guy posted on r7xclub:

"Okay, wow.

Some BIG updates....and a correction to a previous comment.

Bumpsteer is now COMPLETELY eliminated along with actually IMPROVING the steering angles of the car, even better than the factory setup, and here's how.

1.) The steering rack was brought forward and raised back up to normal height, now that it clears the oil-pan of the 2JZ. It is now completely parallel and straight. It no longer has the factory "U"-like shaping, which from what I understand is more-or-less a short-cut taken by Mazda.

I'm not too bright on how suspension works, but from how I understand, most steering racks are completely straight like mine is now. Supposedly the way Mazda has the steering rack from the factory is actually a double-edged sword, in regards to toe-in and other steering factors.

2.) By moving the steering rack forward, the steering column was extended 2.5".

3.) New braces were fabricated to hold the front swaybar in place.

4.) The tie rods are now too long and if I heard correctly, they are either going to modify them to be shorter, or purchase me shorter tie rods. I'm guessing the latter. I need to ask.

5.) My previous weld-job on my steering rack had it tweaked 1/4" up and forward. It is now completely level, balanced, and even.

6.) My motor mounts were also tweaked in order to ensure the motor is completely straight and aligned.

7.) I now have factory ABS and hard-lines back in-place, but I'm missing the wiring harnesses for it.

Also, I was chatting with a guy on the Facebook group and he actually made a doghouse in the Firewall... I'm not sure if that will make driving a little bit Hot since the engine is so close but I might be wrong

[ Guests cannot view attachments ]

Offline Venom13132

• Staged
  • 95 RX-7 LS1 T56 FEED Widebody
  • View Gallery
    • View Profile
    • Venom Speed Shop
« Reply #5 on: February 14, 2020, 07:03:33 AM »
am i missing something? that is not a 2JZ??
1995 RX-7 - LS1, T56: Feed wide body, Feed CF Side skirts, 57DR 18's, K-Sport coilovers, 99 spec\ tails and spoiler, SpeedHut, Aeromotive, TwinZ Diffuser
2000 Ford Excursion - V10 4x4 winter beater, pulls my 18' car hauler
2006 BMW 650i - 4.8l V8 6-Speed Manual - Daily Driver

Offline Kewin

« Reply #6 on: February 15, 2020, 04:08:26 PM »
oh really? What engine is that?

Offline digitalsolo

• Administrator
  • Top Fuel
  • View Gallery
    • View Profile
    • LS1FC.com
« Reply #7 on: February 15, 2020, 04:44:07 PM »
Looks like a Honda F2x...
Blake MF'ing McBride

Offline Kewin

« Reply #8 on: February 16, 2020, 07:03:44 PM »
Sorry my bad... don't know much about engines look yet. I guess I will follow YoshiFD3's guide and talk to the car shop. It seems like a better idea than to cut through the firewall...

[ Guests cannot view attachments ]

This is a picture of the already swapped 2jz rx7 I might purchase soon!